RustyP's Possible Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

RustyP's Possible Bag

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:22 pm

I was thinking about trying some new discs in the line-up the other night...thought I'd post my imaginary bag here for feedback, since some of the molds are totally new to me, and others I've only thrown a few times (discs in blue are already part of my normal line-up).

For reference, I'm a 973 rated player with about 380' max golf distance, occasionally reaching 400'. My real life go-to discs are the Orc/Starfire (distance), Champ Teebird (fairway), Champ Firebird (overstable), SOLS (understable), Ching Roc, and M Wizard...all around 175g.

RustyP's Possible Bag:

All Out Distance*:
168-170g Star Destroyer
*this is a slot that I dont' currently have in my bag. Right now, all the drivers I use for "all out distance" are the same ones I use for "controlled distance". I'm thinking "all out distance" driver would only be used when the need for distance outweighs the need for total accuracy.

Distance Drivers:
170-172 Star Starfire (already in my real bag...slightly overstable distance)
170-172g SOLF (stable distance...not sure which run I would use, probably 1.1 as the 1.2 might overlap with the Starfire)
170-172 SOLS (slightly understable distance)

Fairway Drivers:
170-172 Discmania CD or 170-172 Star TL (would like to use one mold in various stages of wear for the fairway driver slot)

Overstable:
170-172 Z Predator

Mids and Putters will be the same:
DX Rocs (~175 in various stages of wear)
Soft Wizards (175 for putting)
SS Wizards (170 for approach / long putts)

I've field-thrown a friend's 169 Star Destroyer a handful of times, and right now it's only getting slightly more D than my Orcs, but I think with some practice I could get it out there considerably further. Not sure about this slot yet...

I had the SOLF in my bag for a while after it was first released, but switched in favor of the Orc. I haven't thrown the 1.2 run, but I've heard they are more stable than the 1.1 (hence my note about the possible overlap with the Starfire).

I've never thrown a Discmania CD or Star TL, but from all the research I've done on them, they both seem like good canditates for the one-mold fairway driver slot. Right now I use Champ Teebirds, but I feel they're a little too stable for my liking (and I occasionally supliment the TB with a Polaris LS when I need a straighter line). The fairway driver slot is the only part of my current bag that I have a hard time filling for more than a few weeks at a time...just haven't found a disc that I'm comfortable with yet.

I have a little experience with the ESP Pred, but none with the Z.

Comments?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: RustyP's Possible Bag

Postby Bugbee » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:31 pm

All I can say is that you can't go wrong with the Pred. I just got an ESP one and I love throwing it. I figure the more beat in it gets the more money it will be. I use Z Preds for shots that take dish out a lot of punishment (especially playing in the woods/around rocks) like thumbers, spikes and forehand rollers.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby practically invincible » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 pm

I tossed TL's for a while and they beat in ok... at the point where I would like them for a good turnover they got pretty unpredictable for me. That's when I switched to Eagles instead. Out of the Box I really enjoy their flight, workable on almost any line. And really nasty they roll well too.
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby inthedrift » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:43 pm

I use Teebirds and TLs as my fairway drivers. I only recently added the Teebirds for a bit more stability. I personally think that the TL is a good disc to carry in various stages of wear. I have a CE, a CFR Glow, and two Stars and love them all. My older Star is now a very controllable hyzer flip/turnover disc that has produced some of my longest, most accurate throws. The newer Star still has a good bit of stability and flies a very nice tight s shot as well as straight line drives with a predictable fade. The TL was one of the first discs that made me think I might actually be learning a little something about this game. :)
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby RustyP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:53 pm

inthedrift wrote:My older Star is now a very controllable hyzer flip/turnover disc that has produced some of my longest, most accurate throws.

Roughly what distance would that be? I'm just trying to gauge whether or not the TL would be the right speed for a fairway driver.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby inthedrift » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm not throwing 400 (yet!) but I can consistently put my TLs out to 350. I threw past the pin on an uphill 330 foot hole with the older Star TL (167 g) - on level ground I think the throw would have come close to 400 if not more. For me my Wraiths are only slightly longer right now. My Star Teebird bombs pretty good too, but when I get my TLs to sit up on a hyzer flip they just seem to glide straight for days.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby curt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 pm

I think that you can use the tl as a fairway driver as effectively as you can a teebird. I have been using both for a while and think that they compliment each other well. Alternatively, a nice used KC pro teebird or DX might work well also.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Eric O » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 am

RustyP wrote:I'm just trying to gauge whether or not the TL would be the right speed for a fairway driver.
Hell yeah, it's perfect for that. My brother uses Star TLs exclusively for that with success. He uses a range of weights between 167 and 175. I threw them for a little while and I think they are sweet, but much like practically invincible, I ended up sticking with Eagles in the long run.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kern9787 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:27 pm

As far as the destroyer goes, I've always preferred a wraith or a surge. Then again, I stepped down the speed of all my discs not to long ago and have been slowing raising it back up. I'm now putting wraith's out just over 400 ft on golf line (previously I was hitting between 350 and 370). It may be time for me to give the destroyer another shot as I've had some good fortune with an xcaliber into the wind lately.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:34 pm

RustyP wrote:I had the SOLF in my bag for a while after it was first released, but switched in favor of the Orc. I haven't thrown the 1.2 run, but I've heard they are more stable than the 1.1 (hence my note about the possible overlap with the Starfire).

IMO the 1.2 SOLF's are always more stable than the flat 1.1's but are about the same as the domey 1.1's. A broken in starfire would be pretty close to a newer domey SOLF. Sooooo they would not really overlap to begin with, but depending on how fast you can beat in a starfire, you will probably find that they will start to overlap eventually.

Personally i prefer the OLF since i find it more workable for a distance driver whereas the starfire is a great power hyzer disc, but not great for much else.
adidadg

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:58 pm

You might try the Pro Starfire. A real domey one.

These are long, and beat in even longer (and will flip thrown high), and have the same rim width you like.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 pm

I would probly rock a Heavy QOLF or 1.2 SOLF in place of the starfire, you probly dont need both molds IMO, other than that it looks solid though, except for the ching rocs :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion