My 7 Disc bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My 7 Disc bag

Postby Puddleduck » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:41 am

I'm looking to sort out my discs for a 7 disc set-up. So 3 drivers, 2 mids, 2 putters.

I drive RHBH, max golf distance is around 280'. But I'm working on it ....

How does this look?

1. Stable Control Drivers
170 DX Gazelle - newish

2. Distance Drivers
Nadda

3. Understable Driver
168 Leopard - newish (will replace with the Gazelle once it beats in enough.)

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
165 DX Teebird - slighty beat

5. Very Overstable Driver
Nothing

Mids:
165 DX Roc - beat
173 DX Roc - newish

Putters:
2 S Wizard, one new, one beat

My Teebird holds hyser lines very well, so I don't think I need anything more overstable .. especially considering my limited range. Ditto for the distance driver, just too much disc for me as of yet.
Puddleduck
Noob

Re: My 7 Disc bag

Postby mark12b » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:27 am

looks good, though the hyzer lines that the teebird holds for you are nothing like the lines a real overstable disc can do...
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 am

I'd condiser something like a DX Whippet, DX Banshee, DX Firebird, EXP1 or S Blaze for a very overstable driver. It's not too early to get good at spike hyzers with overstable discs. I have a buddy that struggles to throw that far and one of his most consistant discs is his DX Firebird.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 pm

do you drive with your putters? If so, I'd recommend one for putting only. Looks like you have one for straight to hyzer and one for straight to anhyzer throws.

If you like that Teebird, I'd also suggest a 150g Star. Unless the courses you play on are totally open and really, really windy, it's a great disc. They beat in slowly to a wonderful hyzer flip disc and last for a long time. Plus, at 150g, you'll get some good glide out of them and they won't hyzer like crazy like a 160+ teebird does when new.

Also, while a Comet isn't for everybody, it's a great complement for a Roc.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Puddleduck » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:35 pm

black udder wrote:do you drive with your putters? If so, I'd recommend one for putting only. Looks like you have one for straight to hyzer and one for straight to anhyzer throws.

If you like that Teebird, I'd also suggest a 150g Star. Unless the courses you play on are totally open and really, really windy, it's a great disc. They beat in slowly to a wonderful hyzer flip disc and last for a long time. Plus, at 150g, you'll get some good glide out of them and they won't hyzer like crazy like a 160+ teebird does when new.

Also, while a Comet isn't for everybody, it's a great complement for a Roc.

I do drive with my putters, and I use them for a lot of upshots. But since I put with the beat one I'm not worried about progressive wear throwing my putts off. Is that why you suggested one for putting only?

I own a 150 Teebird in DX, and I do like it. What would be different in Star? (Other than wear obviously).

I'll give my comet a whirl, I used it for a while as OAT detector ... but maybe it deserves a more serious look.

garublador wrote:It's not too early to get good at spike hyzers with overstable discs.

I own a DX Whippet already so I'll try it out some more. I couldn't really find much use for it before ... It seemed like I could get the same flight paths with a hysered new roc. But sounds like I'm missing something ... I'm not sure I really know what spiker hyser is ... are we talking about a shot with a lot of air under it and a ~90 turn to the left? If so its true .. I rarely throw that. Does a Very Overstable disc have other uses I'm missing?

So revised 7 disc bag might look like:

170 DX Gazelle - newish

2. Distance Drivers
Nadda

3. Understable Driver

Nothing

DX Whippet

Mids:
165 DX Roc - beat
Comet

Putters:
Puddleduck
Noob

Postby Triplebogey » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:35 pm

So revised 7 disc bag might look like:

170 DX Gazelle - newish

2. Distance Drivers
Nadda

3. Understable Driver

Nothing

DX Whippet

Mids:
165 DX Roc - beat
Comet

Putters:

What happened to the TeeBird?? I've never heard of someone taking a TB OUT of their bag!! :shock:
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby black udder » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:52 pm

The star teebird is great because it retains it's flight for quite awhile. I have 3, one for hyzer flips, one for a slight S and one that will fade for sure (at 330' and under). I love to tinker with my bag, but I like this setup:

Worn Teebird

2. Distance Drivers
beat dx teebird

3. Understable Driver

New Teebird

DX Whippet

Mids:
165 DX Roc - newish
Comet

Putters:
3 S Wizard, one new, two beat

I recommend a putter only for putting - if you drive with that beat wizard and it cracks, you have nothing to putt with (at least that you feel comfortable with). The Comet is your light hyzer, straight and fade to the right midrange disc. The Roc would be for more hyzer or headwind. The whippet would be for spike hyzers - when you throw a big hyzer shot that's almost straight up in the air. What you get is a super arc that crashes into the ground without skipping.

The teebirds can fill several roles as they wear in - a hyzer flipped dx teebird will carry a long way. The leopard would be a great turnover disc and a new teebird would fill in as an overstable disc - a 165+ teebird will hyzer into almost any wind you could throw into. Otherwise, stick with the lower weight teebirds.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Puddleduck » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 am

That looks like a very solid bag, I'll probably use something very similar when I carry more discs. I'll play around with my Whippet another try in field practice, but the courses I play tend to be wooded and not too windy. And I don't often find myself needing a spike hyser (although there is this one hole ...)

But your suggested bag is ten discs and my new 'Nutsac (http://www.wingnutbags.com/) will only hold 7. I like the idea of a 7 disc bag to cover the maximum number of lines.

So I think the TeeBird is going back in and the whippet is out. (You're right TripleBogey, what was I thinking?) And I'll carry either 2 rocs or roc and Comet. A lot of people seem to be coming back to comets after having used them as starter discs, so maybe my experience will be similar.
Puddleduck
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 am

Puddleduck wrote:That looks like a very solid bag, I'll probably use something very similar when I carry more discs. I'll play around with my Whippet another try in field practice, but the courses I play tend to be wooded and not too windy. And I don't often find myself needing a spike hyser (although there is this one hole ...)
It's not always a matter of needing a spike hyzer. Once you get good at them it's a line you'll be looking for first. You'll be wanting a spike hyzer.

FWIW, I'm in favor of leaving out the Teebird for now. It may gain you a little distance into the wind, but you'll be better off in the long run learning to control your Gazelle instead.

I have a dedicated putter, but that's just because I use a lighter weight for putting than I like for driving or approaching.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:20 am

For a 7 disc bag (on a wooded course at your distance):

worn 150g dx teebird

2. Distance Drivers
worn 150g dx teebird

3. Understable Driver

New Star 150g Teebird

not needed

Mids:
Comet (ESP or Z @ 167-171)

Putters:
3 S Wizard, one new, two beat

I don't have any issues with gazelles, but I haven't found a need for one once the teebird broke in. The leopard does your understable duties, the comet will do hzyer, straight or anhyzer (and it's a great disc for practising line shaping), you can drive with 2 putters and only putt with one and then as the dx breaks in, it'll cover a couple slots.

A Gazelle is rated:
Speed: 6
Glide: 4
Turn: 0
Fade: 2

While the Teebird is rated:
Speed: 7
Glide: 5
Turn: 0
Fade: 2

Thus, you can get some extra glide, it takes a little more speed to get it up to crusing action, but otherwise, they're a similar disc. You get that 150dx TB beat in a little and you'll be able to hyzer flip it up to flat and it'll just go dead straight with minimal fade. If you find you're turning it over while it's still new, then you'll know it's a form issue.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Puddleduck » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:57 am

Hmmm ... I can definately see dropping the Gazelles and relying more on TeeBirds. Especially as they break in more.

I just don't agree with you on the need for 3 of 7 being wizards though. If I lost or cracked one wizard I'd just putt with the other (while quietly weeping). I think dropping the Roc would cost me more strokes every round than changing to a less beat putter would in the unlikely event that I needed to do so. If I was banging them in from 60' where the HSS really came into play I might feel differently ... but if I'm serious about my score I'm laying up from those distances anyway because I know I'm going to miss hideously and 3 putt more often than I'll can it.

My biggest question at this point is Comet or Whippet to complement the Roc. I'm leaning towards Whippet because it seems to open up more options. I found this thread viewtopic.php?=&p=27286 pretty convincing. Made me realize that people like to use knife hysers whenever possible ... not just in the rare cases where they are the only option.

Thanks for all your advice!
Puddleduck
Noob

Postby Puddleduck » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:11 am

garublador wrote:It's not always a matter of needing a spike hyzer. Once you get good at them it's a line you'll be looking for first. You'll be wanting a spike hyzer.

FWIW, I'm in favor of leaving out the Teebird for now. It may gain you a little distance into the wind, but you'll be better off in the long run learning to control your Gazelle instead.

Missed your post when I was writing my last ... but yeah I now see that the spike hyser is going to be a great new skill to work on. And that is really the reason I decided to switch to a smaller bag: to force myself to learn how to get the most from a limited selection of discs.

And I'm not going to drop the gazelles anytime time soon. First because my tBirds aren't beat enough yet. But also because I've been getting some nice results recently from learning to shape lines w/ the Gazelles.

I actually think the first driver to go will probably be the leopard. I recently lost both my beat Gazelles in the snow ... as soon as I get one of them back (or beat a new one) the leopard is likely back on the bench. (Not that it isn't a good disc. I just prefer the minimalist aesthetic.)
Puddleduck
Noob

Postby black udder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:33 pm

As you gain distance, you might find yourself using your putters for driving more often. With only two and a wooded course, I'd be uncomfortable having just one putter to drive and putt with. Over time I tend to get attached to the putter I putt with (so have most of the guys I play with), so you want to expose that disc to the least amount of risk (i.e. driving with it).

You may change your mind, you may not. Just sayin' is all :)

If you have a beat Roc, then a comet isn't that necessary.

And at your distance, I can't imagine the whippet is going to do much for you (it's soooo overstable). But you never know. you can do a spike hyzer with just about any disc, so it's not a requirement to use a whippet. Only you will know though (after you see what it has to offer you).
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion