Accidental Discraft Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Accidental Discraft Bag

Postby Bugbee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Turns out I like Discraft. Challenger beat out the Wizard, Drone beat out the Gator and the XL beat out the Teebird. I know taking out Teebirds is sounds moronic but there is some logic to it. Being that I play in the woods, I found the Teebird hard to hit the gaps with because I had to get it up to cruising speed to go real straight. Since my form still kinda blows, this resulted in lots of tree thwacking. I found the XL a lot easier to get to go straight, and being that it flies a bit slower, a lot more controllable on different lines. Once I do get out in the open a bit, I found the Avenger to be like a longer Teebird, also more workable. Anyway, enough jibba-jabba. Here it is:

1. Stable Control Drivers
174 Elite Z XL

2. Distance Drivers
174 Elite X Avenger

3. Understable Driver
169 Elite Z XL

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
174 Elite Z Avenger

5. Very Overstable Driver
174 Elite Z Predator (thumbers)
174 ESP Predator (throwing)

Mids:
2 178 ESP Buzzzes (1 getting beat, one new)
175 Pro-D Drone
178 Elite Z Drone

Putters:
174 Cryztal Z Challenger
2 175 Pro-D Challengers (1 throwing, 1 putting only)
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Re: Accidental Discraft Bag

Postby Timko » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Sweet! I can trade my stack of XLs to you now :).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Triplebogey » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 pm

For your understable slot, I'd change that XL to X or D plastic and throw it into a few trees first. :mrgreen:
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 am

Bugbee wrote:I know taking out Teebirds is sounds moronic but there is some logic to it. Being that I play in the woods, I found the Teebird hard to hit the gaps with because I had to get it up to cruising speed to go real straight. Since my form still kinda blows, this resulted in lots of tree thwacking. I found the XL a lot easier to get to go straight, and being that it flies a bit slower, a lot more controllable on different lines.
I agree with your assesment. The Teebird is awesome if you're already throwing well, but if you're still working on stuff it isn't necessarily the best choice.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Bugbee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:08 am

garublador wrote:
Bugbee wrote:I know taking out Teebirds is sounds moronic but there is some logic to it. Being that I play in the woods, I found the Teebird hard to hit the gaps with because I had to get it up to cruising speed to go real straight. Since my form still kinda blows, this resulted in lots of tree thwacking. I found the XL a lot easier to get to go straight, and being that it flies a bit slower, a lot more controllable on different lines.
I agree with your assesment. The Teebird is awesome if you're already throwing well, but if you're still working on stuff it isn't necessarily the best choice.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was trying to say in a nutshell. Don't get me wrong, the Teebird is awesome. I find the XL to be a bit more forgiving if I do something stupid like get the nose up or torque it over a little bit. I gotta say, for me at least, that the Z Drone flies a lot better than the CFR Gator. It actually has a bit of glide to it, unlike the Gator, while still flying real overstable.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Postby black udder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 am

Bugbee wrote:
garublador wrote:

Yeah, that was pretty much what I was trying to say in a nutshell. Don't get me wrong, the Teebird is awesome. I find the XL to be a bit more forgiving if I do something stupid like get the nose up or torque it over a little bit. I gotta say, for me at least, that the Z Drone flies a lot better than the CFR Gator. It actually has a bit of glide to it, unlike the Gator, while still flying real overstable.

Not disagreeing here, just offering alternatives... if you're having a problem getting a heavy teebird up to speed, you can try a lighter one - perhaps 150g. Also, if there's lots of trees, perhaps a midrange would be in order for more accuracy - comet, buzz, meteor, one of the midranges that isn't as overstable as a new roc.

The only issue I have with Discraft is they don't offer a wide variety of weights in their discs. There are a few light discs, but the majority of what you find is 168g+. Places like Discgolfcenter.com make it the easiest to find the lowest weight discraft discs these days, but before all the online stores popped up, it was super hard to find anything even under 170g. Of course, lots of folks like and want those weights, but I'm not one of them. I don't throw far enough to warrant the extra weight.

Hope the new bag plays well for you. That is, after all, what it's all about isn't it? :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bugbee » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 am

A lightweight Teebird is an interesting option, I will have to try that. Also, I have been throwing the buzz off the tee so much more recently and it has helped lower my scores a lot. I find that it a great midrange in the woods because it can go so far on low lines and it can be thrown on so many different lines. I have found that discing down, especially when playing in the snow and ice, really helps with consistancy and getting that ever-so-precious par.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Postby corey115 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Triplebogey wrote:For your understable slot, I'd change that XL to X or D plastic and throw it into a few trees first. :mrgreen:

a beat Z XL can be a thing of beauty tho :)
Predator | Avenger | Boss | Drone | Buzzz | Yeti
corey115
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:14 am

Bugbee wrote:A lightweight Teebird is an interesting option, I will have to try that. Also, I have been throwing the buzz off the tee so much more recently and it has helped lower my scores a lot. I find that it a great midrange in the woods because it can go so far on low lines and it can be thrown on so many different lines. I have found that discing down, especially when playing in the snow and ice, really helps with consistancy and getting that ever-so-precious par.

150 Star TB on snowy ground is much nicer than heavier TBs because one doesn't need to risk a full power throw leading to slipping danger. It's great for off days too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion