Bag Planning

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Planning

Postby marmoset » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 am

Is there any benefit to building a minimal bag with molds of the same 'type?'
For instance:

All overstables like a Champ Rhyno, a D Drone and a Z Predator

or

Evenly stable discs like the APX, Comet, and TL

or

Understables like a Rattler, Meteor, and a D XL

I was wondering because I have seen bags with stabilities all over the place like Rhynos, beat Cobras, and Maxes. It seems to me like that would mess with your form as you change from disc to disc.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Re: Bag Planning

Postby cmlasley » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:31 am

In short, no. It would be an interesting practice exercise, but not too good for an all around competition bag. I think the whole point is to have some of each of these types. This usually works best in a minimalistic sense by starting with discs that are fairly overstable when new, but beat into neutral-stable and then eventually understable.

A good disc example of this is the DX Teebird. When new, it is fairly overstable, but it gets super straight after a couple weeks of beating, and eventually, after a year or so, gets consistently flippy.

When you pick discs that can follow this pattern (For me that is Teebirds, Rocs, and Wizards), you can have varying flights out of the same mold. Toss in a Predator, and I've got every flightpath covered with just those four molds. I usually add a faster driver, too - for me the Orion LF (also in varying plastics and/or levels of wear).
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 am

marmoset wrote:It seems to me like that would mess with your form as you change from disc to disc.
It's a matter of having even an OK set of disc skills. You should be able to control anything from flippy to very overstable without too much trouble. If you can't then I'd highly recommend the week 1 training assignment from the training assignment forum.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Triplebogey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:06 am

marmoset wrote:Is there any benefit to building a minimal bag with molds of the same 'type?'
For instance:

All overstables like a Champ Rhyno, a D Drone and a Z Predator

or

Evenly stable discs like the APX, Comet, and TL

or

Understables like a Rattler, Meteor, and a D XL

I was wondering because I have seen bags with stabilities all over the place like Rhynos, beat Cobras, and Maxes. It seems to me like that would mess with your form as you change from disc to disc.

The only one of these 3 that MIGHT work is the 3 stable discs. 8)
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby marmoset » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:48 am

Thanks guys, I was more or less thinking that if you had 3 discs with identical flights that went different distances (short, medium, long) then you could throw them all the same way. Your upshot would fell like a mid would feel like a drive. This was a question that flashed through my mind... my bag is definitely not set up this way. Rhynos and Comets, both of which are in my bag, are polar opposites.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion