Beginners Wind bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Beginners Wind bag

Postby noah » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:21 am

What would you recommend if you knew that when you played It was going to be 10mph+ 95% of the time?

How is this setup for wind?

1. Wizard
2. Classic Roc
3 Roc
4 Gazelle
noah
Tree Magnet

Re: Beginners Wind bag

Postby Dig It » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:28 am

Will the Gazelle be overstable enough to fight a head wind and not turn over? I always thought it was pretty medium as far as stability. If that's not the case and Gazelles fight head winds then I think you have a solid set up.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby black udder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:31 am

I'd want something light and understable for when I hit the tailwind.

A teebird is a great disc for that atmosphere as well as something more overstable - maybe a lighter weight predator, firebird, etc. Something you can throw but will fight the wind when you need it to.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby tim » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:31 am

noah wrote:What would you recommend if you knew that when you played It was going to be 10mph+ 95% of the time?

1. Wizard
2. Classic Roc
3 Roc
4 Gazelle

Classic Roc and Gazelle will work great downwind but will be awful upwind. Add a Teebird and/or Firebird/Predator to the bag for the upwind and crosswind shots. You'll be thankful. Wizard and Roc are great upwind and downwind.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Personally, I'd ditch the Classic Roc for something more overstable like a Whippet or Banshee, but that's just me. I'd want the Wizard, Roc and Gazelle to be newish, but not brand new. IMO, the Gazelle is stable enough to handle a headwind, especally for a newbie.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby chunk » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:42 pm

10 mph wind aint that bad but i would use a champ teebird over a gazelle for headwinds. also the gazelle is going to be beat in fast unless you're playing only in grassy fields, and when it does good luck getting to fly straight in a headwind.

as already mentioned the gazelle will do fine with a tail wind.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby JR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 pm

The problem with the discs garu and chunk recommended is that none of them cut through the wind so each of those lose speed quickly and won't go far in a headwind. Where a faster sharp edged driver would. Those would be way too overstable to use in any other situation though and would mask user errors handicapping learning.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby garublador » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 pm

JR wrote:The problem with the discs garu and chunk recommended is that none of them cut through the wind so each of those lose speed quickly and won't go far in a headwind. Where a faster sharp edged driver would. Those would be way too overstable to use in any other situation though and would mask user errors handicapping learning.
Yeah, but you have to consider it's a beginner's bag and that they have to use those discs for all wind situations, not just upwind.

Also, Gazelles don't beat in that fast and as far as stability is concerned, they handle headwinds just fine unless they're heavy, which is why I recommended the more overstable driver, too. The only issue is the one JR brought up, they don't penetrate all that well. I can even get the flippy run of DX Gazelles to hold a straight line in a 10-15mph headwind to 330' or so and I'm not that good. I had one freakish throw where a new DX Gazelle went 360' into a 10mph headwind on a pure hyzer.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby noah » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Where I play there is always 10mph wind at least. 20-30 isn't that uncommon. My main concern is winds blowing across the throw, not head or tail winds.
noah
Tree Magnet

Postby Dig It » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:32 pm

noah wrote:Where I play there is always 10mph wind at least. 20-30 isn't that uncommon. My main concern is winds blowing across the throw, not head or tail winds.

If you're thinking more about cross winds that will have more to do with how you throw the disc and less to do with what disc you throw. Left to right throw with Hyzer. Right to left, Anny. That's how I approach cross winds anywho.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby black udder » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:42 pm

DigIt wrote:
noah wrote:Where I play there is always 10mph wind at least. 20-30 isn't that uncommon. My main concern is winds blowing across the throw, not head or tail winds.

If you're thinking more about cross winds that will have more to do with how you throw the disc and less to do with what disc you throw. Left to right throw with Hyzer. Right to left, Anny. That's how I approach cross winds anywho.

I agree - it's more in how you throw vs what you throw. The gazelle and teebird have the same stability according to Innova, but they have different speed and glide.

When throwing in wind, you need to be conscious of what part of the disc you show to the wind. If you throw an anhyzer (RHBH) into a right to left wind, it'll push it into the ground. If you throw a hyzer in that wind, then it will push the disc far and fast to the left. Typically, if you keep the nose down and throw close to flat, the wind will only be a factor as the disc fades or if it turns over some. Discs can only do so much for you - the best thing you can do is just get out there and throw a lot in wind and experiment with different shots in the same wind situation.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JR » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:22 am

garublador wrote:
JR wrote:The problem with the discs garu and chunk recommended is that none of them cut through the wind so each of those lose speed quickly and won't go far in a headwind. Where a faster sharp edged driver would. Those would be way too overstable to use in any other situation though and would mask user errors handicapping learning.
Yeah, but you have to consider it's a beginner's bag and that they have to use those discs for all wind situations, not just upwind.

Also, Gazelles don't beat in that fast and as far as stability is concerned, they handle headwinds just fine unless they're heavy, which is why I recommended the more overstable driver, too. The only issue is the one JR brought up, they don't penetrate all that well. I can even get the flippy run of DX Gazelles to hold a straight line in a 10-15mph headwind to 330' or so and I'm not that good. I had one freakish throw where a new DX Gazelle went 360' into a 10mph headwind on a pure hyzer.

I'd say that's pretty good headwind D for a Gaz :-) But I'm definitely a speed freak and get my longest throws with the fastest of drivers. Fully agreed about newer faster discs being usable only for headwinds (or meathook duty). Now the OP added that 20-30 MPH winds are common where he's at and he's more worried about crosswinds means that newer faster better penetrating discs would be of even less use to him.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Banzai » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:57 am

Gazelles are better in the wind than some people think. I second adding a Firebird/Pred. You need something faster than a gazelle to penetrate upwind. For tailwind, I say go with a beat light gazelle or a light DX Valk.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby Triplebogey » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 am

noah wrote:What would you recommend if you knew that when you played It was going to be 10mph+ 95% of the time?

1. Wizard
2. Classic Roc
3 Roc
4 Gazelle

How about this setup for wind?

1. 170 S Wizard
2. 165 D Buzzz
3. 178 Z Wasp
4. 150 Pro Leopard
5. 165 Star Teebird
6. 175 Champ Banshee
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby JR » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:53 am

banzai7 wrote:Gazelles are better in the wind than some people think. I second adding a Firebird/Pred. You need something faster than a gazelle to penetrate upwind. For tailwind, I say go with a beat light gazelle or a light DX Valk.

If heavy and new and depending on power Gazelles fare ok in mild headwinds and heavier other directions. Unexpected fast gusts do hinder older discs more than new fast well penetrating more overstabler discs. Would you rely on luck in areas where wind speeds change all the time and suddenly or would you like to have a larger safety margin? Can you utilize that disc that has a larger safety margin for wind changes? The answers to those questions are very relevant for disc selection. I'd say it depends on the day meaning wind conditions and how well you're managing your discs. For 10 MPH Gazelle is pretty ok as long as late acceleration is used with moderated speed. No joy with early acceleration, high speeds, more headwind or swirly gusts. Not to mention OAT.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion