general question about bag setup

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

general question about bag setup

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:35 pm

howdy y'all,

i'll start by saying i agree with the disc minimalism mantra

but the it doesn't really say how many of each mold is necessary......just for example a typical bag minimalist bag is something like this:

Valkyrie
Firebird
Teebird
Buzzz
Wizard

only five molds but how many of each mold should one carry? 2 of each, 3 of each, 10 of each?.....this doesn't get discussed

now i'm sure some wisenheimer will say "it's at your discretion"....well since this site is devoted to help fellow plastic chuckers i'm looking for opinions, empirical data, etc.....this is a discussion board.....so let's discuss

much love

kel
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: general question about bag setup

Postby Bugbee » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Enough of each mold to cover all of the shots you need at that range. I would say 2-3. Mids seem to be the molds with the most duplicates in the bag around here. For me, I do 2 of each, with a third putter for just putting.
Bugbee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 174g Z Predator

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:22 pm

I think the general consensus would be 3. One fresh, one seasoned and one beat. That gives you left/straight/right for each disc.
Now, some slots may not need multiples. Max distance, for instance, you may only have 1, maybe 2, so you can go anny or hyzer. The meathook slot may be a single disc as well, seeing as how it's purpose to be overstable.
Like Bugbee said, I think mids are the slot with the most multiples, with fairway drivers and putters close behind.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:25 pm

PUTTERS : 2 or 3, i generally have one just for putts,one more seasoned for upshots and strait drives and one newer for hyzer drives or winds
MIDS: depending on the mold/plastic 2 to 5, I carry 4 rocs,new,strait to stable,stait to understable and beat to shit
UNDERSTABLE: you could either use a beat up/base plastic version of one or more of the other molds you throw or add a mold dedicated to this slot in which case you should only need 1
FAIRWAY: 2 to 3, I carry one beefy heavy champ eagle and one 170 star thats fairly seasoned, now and then ill toss in a DX for turnovers
MAX D: 1 or 2, i carry an extra Groove just for practice shots
MODERATELY OVERSTABLE: 2 or 3, i carry 3 OLFs, 1 heavy Q, 1 170 SOLF and a 170 MOLF for turnovers
OVERSTABLE: 1 or 2, you should only really need one but some people like to add one at a lighter weight too for a slightly less beefy flight
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 pm

okay now this is where i get a bit flustered:

1.) why the hell do i need more than 2 putters? (1 for "driving" and 1 for putting)

why not use the mid range for upshots

2.) why do people need so many copies of their midrange......why not just use one straight flying midrange and learn how to make touch shots and (an)hyzers with the one disc?

the one pig driver i understand and for the most part practice

same with distance but then why do i need copies of my "control" driver......why not use the same principle as stated for mids

and max D i can see just using one

i guess i'm trying to push überminimalism.....but still give it a thought
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

As far as multiples of your control driver I will use my bag as an example of why this can be a good thing. I used to throw leopards for my understable fairway driver slot and teebirds for my straight control driver and a banshee for my overstable slot (all premium plastic). The Star Leopards have now been replaced by beat in DX Teebirds. Also, I have added a new, heavier DX teebird for my overstable/utility slot and unless the wind is really howling this takes care of the slot normally occupied by the Banshee. So maybe now you can sort of see why you would want multiples of your control driver. I am comfortable with the feel of the teebird in my hand and the more things I can use that disc for the better. If I reach for a disc I am less familiar with then I tend to miss my lines more often. The same principle applies to mid range discs and putters. If you start off with something stable/overstable and beat it in and carry multiples, then one mold that you are comfortable with can provide all the shots you need to hit without changing the feel of the disc in your hand.

I think at this point it would be worth mentioning that this works with true stable discs like teebirds, eagles, rocs, wizards, etc. All of these discs start out nice and stable and with very little high speed turn (with the exception of the eagle). As you wear them in, they tend to develop some high speed turn and the low speed fade is delayed until much later in the flight of the disc. Not all molds are suitable for this kind of work but the ones mentioned above seem to work well for myself and many others on this forum.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Oh, and for the record... I carry 11 discs and 5 molds. Minimalism does rock!!!
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Postby keltik » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 pm

i always wondered what you had in the bag......so you got rid of the leos huh.....are you still rockin that comet?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 am

keltik wrote:okay now this is where i get a bit flustered:

1.) why the hell do i need more than 2 putters? (1 for "driving" and 1 for putting)

why not use the mid range for upshots

2.) why do people need so many copies of their midrange......why not just use one straight flying midrange and learn how to make touch shots and (an)hyzers with the one disc?

the one pig driver i understand and for the most part practice

same with distance but then why do i need copies of my "control" driver......why not use the same principle as stated for mids

and max D i can see just using one

i guess i'm trying to push überminimalism.....but still give it a thought
You're right about the best way to learn. Forcing flights you wouldn't normally expect out of discs will teach you a lot. However, once you have a decent set of skills there is a benefit to adding discs.

For putters, many have found that different weights have different strengths. A light weight (165-168g) putter carries a bit better on putts than a heavier putter, extending your range a bit, a mid weight (168-172g) is good for approaches as it fights winds a bit better and has some extra carry, but not so much that it makes range control difficult (which can be a small issue with lighter putters), and it's just easier to control heavy putters for drives. If you give yourself a new and beat driving putteryou end up with 4 different putters. Midranges are too difficult to control turn, fade and range for approach shots. It's just not a good disc choice for a majority of approaches.

For mids and control drivers it's partially about ease of flight manipulation and partially about fade. The easiest way to keep a Roc or Gazelle from fading is to throw a beat one. The easiest way to get a Roc or Gazelle to turn more is to throw a beat one. It's possible to do some of that stuff with just one (and as you pointed out, a good way to learn), but it gets to where it's not really worth making things harder than they need to be. Easier shots are more consistant.

For distance drivers I see it as more of a wind thing. If you're looking for max distance you don't have as many flight shaping options as you do with control drivers, so you have to rely on beatness to help you get the lines you want in the wind conditions you're given. Getting a new, fast disc to turn over in a tailwind is hard. Having a beat version that's kind of flippy in the calm can help a ton.
garublador
Disc Whore

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion