Whatta Bag, Whatta Bag, Whatta Mighty Good Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Whatta Bag, Whatta Bag, Whatta Mighty Good Bag

Postby nice drive kid » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Snow's melting, here's my preliminary bag for the spring.

I'd say my forehand and backhand are pretty much equal when it comes to open-field drives, but most of my short-range accuracy comes from my forehand. I have a LOT of snap with my forehand; I turn over my Gators quite frequently if I'm not paying attention to the wing angle. 95% of my throws are with my Star Destroyer (backhand), Champion Gator (forehand), and M Wizard (depends on the shot, I'm comfortable putting both backhand and forehand). I field test on a 120m soccer field, and since most of my distance drivers land past the opposite goal post I'd estimate I have the following distance:

Big D Drivers: 370-380ft
Fairway Drivers: 350 - 360ft
Midrange: 330 - 340 ft
Putter: 280 - 290 ft (I don't really try to throw these hard)

Distance Drivers:
175 DX Firebird (new) - distance hookshots, headwinds (just kicked out my Echo XCal, will replace with champion once beat)
175 Champion Destroyer - headwind and hyzer distance (mostly forehand)
171 Star Destroyer (beat straight) - perfectly straight with slight fade at the end (80% of backhand drives)
170 Champion Monarch (slightly beat) - more understable than new, but still stable. Good when I need S-curve distance in wind.

Fairway Drivers:
175 Star Teebird (new) - straight shots with moderate fade
171 Star Kite - Place-holder until my *TB gets beat up. Flies arrow-straight. Good for woods driving.

Middies:
175 Champ Gator - forehand, backhand, whatever I need it to do, it does. Bread & Butta.
180 DX Roc (new) - straight shot with moderate fade. Teebird and this Roc are interchangeable based on distance.
180 DX Roc (beat straight) - getting to be dead straight. Not quite there yet, a few more trees.
180 DX Roc (thrashed) - too flippy to drive with, used for backhand escapes and little floaters around trees.

Putters:
175 M Wizard - perfectly straight drives and all things putting-related. Will hold any line I want it to. The perfect one-disc round disc (but I use my Gator :) )
175 E Wizard - when I need a straight drive with ever so slight of a fade. Haven't been using it at all lately.

Did some field throwing today and was monkeying with an old DX Wraith I used as my primary driver when I first started playing. I was liking how it was working in tailwinds, but the second I threw it into the wind (probably 8-10mph) it flipped and didn't come back. I hate having one-trick ponies in my bag, but the distance was significant on flat ground, and I was practically drooling thinking about how it would fare on one of the downhill holes on my home course.

I've also been thinking about either replacing or supplementing my Firebird with a Star Whippet-X I have lying around. I threw Whippets a lot before I got my Gators, but realized that with my snap I could flick the Gator just as far so I took it out. I love the disc, but I don't know if I need it in the bag.

Overall I've been playing very well lately. I taped my drives today and I'm planning on posting some video on the technique section in the near future.

Any holes you guys see in the bag, or discs that might better fit what I'm trying to do?
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: CFR Gator

Re: Whatta Bag, Whatta Bag, Whatta Mighty Good Bag

Postby BeSquared » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Looks good.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:52 am

what a name what a name what a name what a mighty lame name :wink:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Triplebogey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 am

I don't know how you get that Kite to NOT turn over. They're pretty flippy.
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:08 am

but to add something constructive id consider swapping out your Monarch for something truly understable at your distance, id recommend a star RR or sidewinder, a monarch can overlap with a beat destroyer at your D, id also toss in a champ FB for something that will stay beefy longer than the DX, and put in a DX TB instead of that awful Kite. just my opinions :?
looks great other than those things though :)
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Lookin good there kid. I do agree with what JesseB says about the monarch and the firebird. The sw or the rr are a little slower and will be better for the shots you can;t do with the destroyer, tb or kite. Ever thrown a predator? I also agree with you playing very well lately, Shane is a tough guy to play (GHDGO open champ last yr.) and beat, now keep it up team Northampton is next, then finals.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Triplebogey » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 pm

nice drive kid wrote:Big D Drivers: 370-380ft
175 Champion Destroyer - headwind and hyzer distance (mostly forehand)
171 Star Destroyer (beat straight) - perfectly straight with slight fade at the end (80% of backhand drives)

I don't know what people who throw under 400' see in the Destroyer. I'm at the same power level as you, and I was rather unimpressed by the Destroyer. It didn't go any further in a headwind than a Monster, and didn't go futher downwind than a Pro Starfire. It took a LOT of anny to get anything out of it for me. I've got a first-run proto Star stamp StarDesstroyer for anyone who'se interested. :-/
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby nice drive kid » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:but to add something constructive id consider swapping out your Monarch for something truly understable at your distance, id recommend a star RR or sidewinder, a monarch can overlap with a beat destroyer at your D, id also toss in a champ FB for something that will stay beefy longer than the DX, and put in a DX TB instead of that awful Kite. just my opinions :?
looks great other than those things though :)

This is exactly my plan. Like I said, I'm planning on getting a Champ Firebird once the DX wears out. Hoping that maybe it'll get beat up enough to possibly become a nice forehand fairway driver. And the Kite is a lot better than you guys think. The Stars are a lot less flippy than the DX, and this blend is amazingly grippy and soft. I do plan on replacing it with my *TB once it hits a few more rocks, because I love beat in Teebirds. I had one that was perfect this summer and it got stolen from the lost and found one day. I'm hoping that a beat up Star Tee will act just the same and last longer at that perfect state before it gets flippy.

Triplebogey wrote:I don't know what people who throw under 400' see in the Destroyer. I'm at the same power level as you, and I was rather unimpressed by the Destroyer. It didn't go any further in a headwind than a Monster, and didn't go futher downwind than a Pro Starfire. It took a LOT of anny to get anything out of it for me. I've got a first-run proto Star stamp StarDesstroyer for anyone who'se interested. :-/

Have you ever thrown a beat up Destroyer? The thing BOMBS when thrown backhand. Mine's at the point where, when thrown flat, turns ever so slightly, flexes back, and flies straight with extremely minimal fade at the end.

New Destroyers are another story. I have a very hard time throwing discs anhyzer backhand, it just feels unnatural to me. To compensate, I've developed a very strong forehand with a buttload of snap, which keeps even very overstable discs straight for most of the flight. The only time I throw new Destroyers backhand is in headwinds, where I find that they're more reliable and further than a lot of the other discs I've tried.
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Postby IdahoLefty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:52 am

well i wouldnt say it bombs being you throw 380 max. i really dislike the Destroyers its to flippy to be consistent IMO. i would think a wraith would throw as far and the take a head wind decently.
Friends dont let friends throw roc's.

buzz for president (its dependable)
IdahoLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Raww!

Postby MR. WICK » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:01 am

I've seen him throw the destroyers and they work very well for him, a destroyer or wraith is all preference they fly VERY similar in flight path with the wraith just being a little slower with more glide. In my opinion neither one of them is good in a headwind, but I'm not the one throwing it. It's not a disc for everyone but seems to work for him. As long as you know when NOT to use it it's fine for someone with that distance to have a super high speed driver IMO. I throw similar d and use a rogue and a force for my big D, teebirds for control.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby nice drive kid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:03 am

Ok... not a proud moment for someone who deals with measurements and surveying for a living, but here goes.

So I knew there was something wrong with my distance estimates because I know that I've parked holes over 400 feet before. I was talking with my buddy about my field testing and mentioned that I've been throwing on a 120 meter field and that my throws were going past the opposite goal post. He then asked me what my D was, and, like most Americans, said 360 feet. Except a meter is 39 inches, not 36. So from goal to goal, my testing field is 393.7 feet. Updating my distance:

Big D Drivers: 410 - 420 ft
Fairway: 390 - 400 ft (although lately my *TB has been flying farther than anything I have, including beat Destroyer and Boss)
Midrange: 370 - 380 ft
Putter: 320 - 330 ft

Damn metric system.
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 am

nice drive kid wrote:Ok... not a proud moment for someone who deals with measurements and surveying for a living, but here goes.

So I knew there was something wrong with my distance estimates because I know that I've parked holes over 400 feet before. I was talking with my buddy about my field testing and mentioned that I've been throwing on a 120 meter field and that my throws were going past the opposite goal post. He then asked me what my D was, and, like most Americans, said 360 feet. Except a meter is 39 inches, not 36. So from goal to goal, my testing field is 393.7 feet. Updating my distance:

Big D Drivers: 410 - 420 ft
Fairway: 390 - 400 ft (although lately my *TB has been flying farther than anything I have, including beat Destroyer and Boss)
Midrange: 370 - 380 ft
Putter: 320 - 330 ft

Damn metric system.

oh......so these are now inflated to message board distance.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Postby nice drive kid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:46 am

Hahaha you got it. :D
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am

Is that 380' with a Gator?
What is the putter? M or E Wizard?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby nice drive kid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:54 am

marmoset wrote:Is that 380' with a Gator?
What is the putter? M or E Wizard?

I can hit around 380' with my Gator. Forehand anhyzer with a ton of snap. Backhand with the Gator tops out at around 350' because of the enormous fade.

Putter is my M Wizard. E Wizard is only for driving, but I barely ever use it. Primarily in the bag for those times I miss a putt and get so frustrated I need another try (in practice).
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion