It's hard to make a creative and unique title for bag advice

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

It's hard to make a creative and unique title for bag advice

Postby JimW » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:25 pm

I've been playing about a month now, though playing very frequently. I primarily throw LHBH but my forehand and overhand throws I'm right-handed on (I'm actually right-handed but for as long as I can remember I've always thrown frisbees left-handed, RHBHs are uncomfortable for me and I don't have a lot of control or distance on them). My best drive (which was with my beat-up Orc) was about 270 but most are generally in the 220-240 range. I have a fair amount of natural strength (though the fact that I throw with my non-dominant arm probably means that I have a little less then I'd expect) so I know that my distance progression will rely on technique, I won't be limited by my physical ability. Here's my bag setup:

In the bag

168g Aviar (putts)
175g Polecat (approaches)

176g Champion Shark
176g DX Cobra (slightly beaten)

I had a 166g DX Roc but that went into a lake yesterday when I made a stupid decision on how to throw it. I'm sure that eventually I'll pick up another Roc but for now I'm going to stick with the two mids I have, I was able to throw the Cobra very straight for good distance today and I find the Shark reliable for shorter shots. At the moment I'm satisfied with my situation.

168g very beaten DX Orc

I picked up the Orc for dirt cheap used, most of the rim isn't that dinged but there's a 1 inch slice in the rim at one point that goes about half an inch towards the center. I just bought it because I wanted to try an Orc to get a feel for it as a potential driver purchase down the road, it very quickly became my best driver.

Out of the bag

150g DX Leopard and 150g Dragon (both are too light for me, I overpower them to the left too easily)
171g DX Banshee (another cheap very beaten disc, I have it for when I feel like taking a really risky water shot at Cliff Stephens, eventually I know it will go in a lake and I won't care at all when it does)
168g Star Teebird

That Teebird is really the issue that has me asking for advice. I was going to get a Teebird of some sort and decided to go with a Star one because it's durable and felt really nice in my hand. However, I decided today that I definitely am not able to handle it at this point because I can't get enough velocity on the disc to keep it from taking a hard right fade relatively early in flight, I probably can't throw it more than 180 feet with any sort of consistency and can't keep it remotely straight. So for now it's out of the bag until I am good enough to handle it. I have two questions to ask:

1. Should I stick with the Orc as my distance driver? I've thrown Valkyries before and liked them but the Orc goes farther for me with just as much control. If I decide to keep on with Orcs I'm going to buy a new (or maybe used but not too beaten) DX one soon and work that into shape; I suspect that I throw this well because it's so beaten, a brand new one would probably be too overstable for me until I can beat it up a bit. I do love the feel of the disc overall though.

2. I need a new fairway driver. Although my current distance means that I don't need to worry about overshooting holes with my distance driver I would like to have one that I can finesse a bit more and also get used to throwing now so I'm well-versed in it as my distance increases. I'd like to stick with Innova DX discs for now and am looking for a good stable driver.

Thanks!
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: It's hard to make a creative and unique title for bag advice

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:08 pm

short answer is to pick up a 168-170 dx gazelle to use as your fairway driver *and* distance driver. it will probably go farther than the orc right off the bat and in the long run will definitely help you learn how to throw better. there's not much reason to throw anything faster until you're getting gazelles out to 300 or more (inevitably you'll want to play around with distance drivers before then anyway, which is fine). even though the teebird is a fairly slow disc, it's really more of an advanced-player mold since it's so nose-angle sensitive.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:11 pm

p.s. the stall-and-crash flight you're seeing from that teebird is because you're throwing it nose-up, not because you're throwing it too slow.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:06 pm

How about, "Bag on my Bag." Has that been used yet?

But seriously . . . get a 165g DX Gazelle.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 pm

true, at that power level mid-160's is probably better than 170ish.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:41 pm

mark12b wrote:p.s. the stall-and-crash flight you're seeing from that teebird is because you're throwing it nose-up, not because you're throwing it too slow.

I didn't quite articulate the result I was getting correctly, although I have gotten stalls from having the nose up I was mainly referring to the fact that the disc slows down and fades while descending even when thrown level. It's quite similar to the result I've gotten from the couple times I've thrown my friend's Wraith for the hell of it, a disc that I know I don't have the ability/power to throw well. At first the flight path looks like it does when I throw one of my regular, successful drivers but the disc never makes it nearly as far.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice. Unless someone else makes a compelling argument for something else before tomorrow afternoon I'll be picking up at mid-160s Gazelle.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:52 am

Before you do that, how far are you throwing that DX Cobra? I missed that in your bag on the first read. You could probably just start using that as your main driver and once you are getting that out to 290-300', go to the Gazelle. Cobras are a little flippy, but nice and slow and controllable. It wasn't that long ago that they were considered drivers. I know it's not sexy like the super-fast stuff, but at this point you need something forgiving and really controllable.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Billym » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Throw the Dragon in a lake and let some sucker find it.

But I would keep practicing with the 150 Leopard. Maybe not for rounds yet but in a field learn to throw it without flipping it.
If the pros can throw 150 plastic in tournaments in Japan then there is no reason you can't learn to throw it without overpowering it. That will improve your drives. Besides if you can throw 150 disc they go far.

I am not a fan of the polecat just use your aviar IMO.

Trade the Orc for the Gazelle everyone is telling you to get. They rock and will teach you how to throw.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Eric O » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Your Star Teebird experience is normal. It takes good technique to throw one with a flat release and have it fly straight for a long time without fading out hard early. As stated above, it's not a great beginner disc. Gazelle is the way to go. Following in the footsteps of many before me, I developed most of my ability to shape lines with drivers using Gazelles. Also got my 1st ace with one. I did eventually switch over to Eagles because they don't have as much distance overlap with a Roc as a Gazelle.

As far as a max D disc, the Orc is not a great place to start either. Takes a lot of power to get it up to speed where it will fly like it is designed to and it's never a good idea to start developing your technique to compensate for that. If you are impatient with the D you get with a DX Gazelle once it has broken in, you could go with a Valk to stretch the distance. It is on the slow side for a distance driver and it's relatively forgiving. Another thing that is nice about Valks is that they are available in just about any weight range and plastic type, so it's easy to find one that meets anybody's particular preferences.

Oh, one other thing. That beat DX Banshee is probably a sweet flyer!

This is just standard stock DGR advice, nothing fancy.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 pm

JimW wrote:I didn't quite articulate the result I was getting correctly, although I have gotten stalls from having the nose up I was mainly referring to the fact that the disc slows down and fades while descending even when thrown level.

ok, yeah, sounds pretty much like weak sauce. :D

once you get a little snap in your throw a gentle teebird shot will glide a surprisingly long way -- but it will still fade/die at the end if it's not real broken-in.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 pm

cmlasley wrote:Before you do that, how far are you throwing that DX Cobra? I missed that in your bag on the first read. You could probably just start using that as your main driver and once you are getting that out to 290-300', go to the Gazelle. Cobras are a little flippy, but nice and slow and controllable. It wasn't that long ago that they were considered drivers. I know it's not sexy like the super-fast stuff, but at this point you need something forgiving and really controllable.

Yesterday, the first day after losing my Roc, was the first time in a while that I really used my Cobra for midrange shots (normally I only used it on hammers, I was very comfortable with the way it felt for that and could generally get exactly what I wanted) so I didn't really know the distance I could throw it. The course I played today has several holes with a creek on the right so I wanted something straight, which I of course recently discovered the Cobra was great for, and I paced off my throws to be about 200'. So shorter than I've thrown various drivers but certainly good for shorter holes or ones I really need a straight shot on.

Billym wrote:I am not a fan of the polecat just use your aviar IMO.

I switched to the Aviar for putting because I didn't like the way the Polecat's rim felt for putts but I find it to be very comfortable and accurate for me on approaches of up to 100' or so. Essentially, if I'm within my P&A distance the criteria is that if I'm going to be throwing it like a regular disc I use the Polecat, if I'm using putting form I go with the Aviar.

Eric O wrote:As far as a max D disc, the Orc is not a great place to start either. Takes a lot of power to get it up to speed where it will fly like it is designed to and it's never a good idea to start developing your technique to compensate for that. If you are impatient with the D you get with a DX Gazelle once it has broken in, you could go with a Valk to stretch the distance. It is on the slow side for a distance driver and it's relatively forgiving. Another thing that is nice about Valks is that they are available in just about any weight range and plastic type, so it's easy to find one that meets anybody's particular preferences.

Oh, one other thing. That beat DX Banshee is probably a sweet flyer!

This is just standard stock DGR advice, nothing fancy.

As I mentioned above it's a pretty beaten Orc, I've felt from the beginning that I can only control it so well because it's in that condition, if I was to stick with the Orc I'd probably need to stick with fairly worn in ones anyway. I do like Valkyries but (besides my disturbing tendency to lose them, my last one I apparently just left on the course, somehow forgot to pick it up) the beat up Orc has given me a similar flight path but with more distance. Anyway, the Orc thing isn't important right now since I did buy a Gazelle today.

It's a 165g DX one, feels nice in my hand. My results in the round I played were pretty mediocre, I was letting the nose get up too much on some shots and on the others wasn't controlling it real well. I think that's mainly due to my being used to the wider rimmed drivers, since I finally got my backhand drives under control I had mainly thrown a Beast or an Orc so I'm not quite used to the narrower rim. Tomorrow I'm going to work more on technique and see if I can get the release right on it and progress towards getting the distance I've been told to expect.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion