Wulf's bag, new to sport help!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wulf's bag, new to sport help!

Postby Demianwulf » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:55 pm

My bag (i guess you could call it a bag):
Innova Champion Cheetah Long Range Driver 150 class weight unknown
Innova Champion Shark All Purpose Driver weight unknown
Innova Stingray ??? its yellow
Discraft Elite Z MRV Stable Mid Range Driver 172 weight
Discraft Cyclone ??? uhm its pink lol
I may also have a black comet somewhere.

I played a little bit a few years ago, but gave it up for school, work etc....I'd like to take up the
sport again so this is my so called bag or lack thereof. I'm the epitomy of a beginner in all
respects, so I don't throw very far and don't have much control yet admittedly. I brought most of
these discs on lots on ebay here and there so most are used but in good condition aside from the
cheetah which has some bad scuffs on the rim. I'm really looking for a good beginners Driver, Mid
range Driver, and putter.

Putter wise I think I've narrowed it down to the Pro D Challenger or Wizard, but I'm not sure
specificaly what weight, style, or line I should be looking for in either.
Mid range wise...roc, stick with the shark?
Driver: DX gazelle??

My home course has 18 tees, but only 1 over 400" the rest are in the 200-300 range but very woody so I expect to hit many trees. Durability is an issue considering my beginner status and how many trees I plan to nail :). Most of my current discs fly well (at least I think they do) and could be used for a while I guess even the cheetah. I wouldn't mind buying at least one of each of the big 3 putter, mid, driver so recommendations for beginners that would last me some time would be great. I guess the most important thing is that they are a bit forgiving given my experience and would last me somet time while I learn the ropes.
Demianwulf
Noob

Re: Wulf's bag, new to sport help!

Postby cmlasley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:05 am

Demianwulf wrote:My bag (i guess you could call it a bag):
Innova Champion Cheetah Long Range Driver 150 class weight unknown
Innova Champion Shark All Purpose Driver weight unknown
Innova Stingray ??? its yellow
Discraft Elite Z MRV Stable Mid Range Driver 172 weight
Discraft Cyclone ??? uhm its pink lol
I may also have a black comet somewhere.

Start with that Cheetah. Assuming you throw right-handed back hand, when it starts turning right, move to the Cyclone.

Your mids are not that great. The Champ Shark is pretty overstable in all but the lightest weights. I can't stand the Stingray but that may be your best bet. The MRV is great, but not in Z. If you do have a Comet, go with that.

I suggest you get a D Challenger or a Soft Suregrip (S Plastic) Wizard. The best thing you can do for your game is to learn to throw your Comet and Putter in the woods and off the tee.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Billym » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Without buying any new discs yet you could use either the Cheetah or Cyclone as your driver. Use it to learn all types of shots. The Cyclone is in the middle of Cheetahs and Gazelles. It would be better if the Cheetah was DX. What plastic is the Cyclone?
Keep the Comet for sure.
I started with a Shark and found it worked fine. Especially if you have a Comet then the Shark is your more stable mid.
You will probably move to Rocs, Buzzes/Wasps later on.
Either choice of putter is good. I love soft Wizards (on the SS side of soft).

Work on rounds with those discs and you will progress nicely.

So here;
Driver=Cheetah or Cyclone
Mid=Comet & Shark
Putter=Wizard or Challenger
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Demianwulf » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Looks like I will stick to my basics for now, but go for the wizard putter. I'm actually pretty excited about getting a new disc, funny as it sounds. I want to run out and buy many shiny new discs impulsively, but I am going to try to learn the ins and outs of the few ones I have first to keep with the minimilist theme preached by blake.

What weight should I be looking for in the Soft Suregrip (S Plastic) Wizard??
Demianwulf
Noob

Postby mark12b » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Demianwulf wrote:What weight should I be looking for in the Soft Suregrip (S Plastic) Wizard??

a lot of folks here like upper 160s for putting and 175 or so for driving and upshots. avoid supersoft (ss) and stupid supersoft (sss) for now.

the gazelle is a great disc but for a beginner it won't do anything the cyclone won't do.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion