Shank's ever changing bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shank's ever changing bag

Postby Shank » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:26 pm

i've been lurking the board for a bit picking up on as much as possible. i've been playing off and on for about four years, but have only really taken the sport seriously for about the past 4 months. i throw forehand and backhand. just switched to predominantly backhand with forehand for shots to the right.

i have a handful of discs consuming valuable room in my bag. maybe you can give me some suggestions as to how to fill the slots. i've been trying a lot of gateway stuff recently, to see how it flies. mixed opinions so far.

here's what i've got in or around the bag.

Stable Control Drivers:
- e sabre 176 (love it. goes where i need, surprisingly even in winds. wouldn't mind something with the same results, but a tighter line)

Distance Drivers:
- star wraith 171 (i like it, but it seems to get pushed around in wind, so i only use it ever so often.)
- e inferno 173 (don't really like how it feels in my hand. only used it twice. balls in wind.)
- mirus 171 (just got this at a night tournament last night. haven't gotten to throw it but it seems solid. potential to swap out for my wraith?)

Moderately Overstable Driver:
- e savage 173 (god bless this disc. use it for everything except for strong headwinds and distance shots over about 350. seems to me like it's gateways striker, although i haven't thrown a striker)

More Overstable Driver:
- star xcaliber 173 (forehands, overhands, headwinds. i'm okay with it, but i'm not married to it. i liked the teerex better but it's in a lake)
- two e illusions 174 + 175 (i wish i liked this disc, but i don't. every ten throws with it i have one that impresses me, but this thing just hooks and skips all over the place)

Mids:
- dx roc 180 (as much love as rocs get, i'm honestly not sold on this one yet. i had an s warrior that i lost in the lake. loved it for two throws that i got to use it for, but not sure on it yet)
- e element 176 (i want to love this one, but i'm not sure on it. nice that it goes right when cranked. glides forever. hard to get to stick to the pin.)

Putters:
- two ss wizards 170 + 175 (one for putting and one for approaches. wizards are my staple for short and mid game.)

that being said, the illusions can definitely come out, along with the inferno, element, and maybe others if there is an upgrade from current molds to a different one. i really like the idea of having a bag with few molds that you can do a lot with. right now my savage and my wizards are about all that are holding my game together. hit me up with some suggestions.

i drive off the tee with control at about 325-350. if i crank it i can hit around 375-400, but with significantly less consistency. i throw fairway drivers from around 250 inwards. mids and putters inside 200. i honestly rarely use my mids though.
Last edited by Shank on Sun May 08, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Re: help my bag

Postby Shank » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:47 pm

good to know my bag is perfect and it's just my game that sucks
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:41 pm

Take out the molds you don't like (even if you just kinda don't like 'em). Then play a few rounds with the molds you absolutely like or need. Then if you think something is missing go shopping.

Illusion/Xcal: Pick one
Wraith/Mirus: you could technically keep both since the Wraith is longer (if you have the minerals). I would say try the Mirus first.
Inferno: if you don't like it try a Valkyrie or a Vision or an Avenger SS

Roc/Element: Pick one

If you change your throwing strategy a bit you may find your discs have different purposes. I don't throw as far as you but i don't pull out a "Fairway" driver unless it's 300+. Under 250 is all putter. 250-300 is Midrange depending on the line. The fastest thing in my bag is either a Valk or an Avenger. but this is just me.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Shank » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:52 pm

thanks for the advice. as a matter of fact, since finding the roc on the course, the element has essentially sat useless. i have a really beat wizard from years ago that is on loan right now that i could see using as my left to right disc, essentially eliminating any need for the element. the illusions are out.

i used to have a champ valk quite some time ago. i absolutely loved that disc. honestly don't know why i don't have one in my bag now besides the trying new plastic excuse.

i guess my problem with using putters and mids on holes around 300 feet is that i'm not good at shaping lines with them. seems to me when i crank on them and release them hyzer, they flatten out and die pretty straight. would it help to have more overstable mids, or am i just not giving them enough hyzer?

the whole point im going for is the minimalism and shaping new lines. not there yet, but i think it's going to be an effective strategy.

TBs seem to get a lot of love. same with PDs. any place for those in my bag or will more sabres do the same trick?
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm

the Sabres are not stable enough to do the work of a TB/PD.

the courses around here look like logging trails so finishing straight is usually a desirable thing. If you want something to finish with a hard fade (either left or right) you will need to invest in a slower meathook driver like a Firebird a Predator or a Banshee. a lot of guys here use these discs in place of a truly overstable Mid. It appears you feel more comfortable with this type of approach so why not give it a try.

if you can't shape lines with putters well you could try a handful of Putter only rounds :twisted: (i'm not saying anymore on this guys).

so go buy another champ valk and rock the rocs.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Shank » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:47 pm

used to have a firebird also. my favorite disc until someone i loaned it to lost it. damnit.
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby jartiv » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 am

big fan of gateway myself... couple of discs I think will help you find the lines you are looking for...

Max Distance

Evolution Apache - definitely going to kick out your wraith... I know it sounds like marketing, but it really does compliment the savage perfectly, and if you like the sabre the apache will feel familiar. I use mine for slight hyzers, hyzer flips, and long turnovers.

For that slower hookshot...

Blaze - overstable fairway driver
Demons - overstable midrange... I pretty much only approach with my putters, so the only midrange in my bag is overstable. I like it because it has a ridiculous fade but it somehow doesnt skip.
jartiv
Noob

Favorite Disc: The Wizard

Postby garublador » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:40 am

Shank wrote:i drive off the tee with control at about 325-350. if i crank it i can hit around 375-400, but with significantly less consistency. i throw fairway drivers from around 250 inwards. mids and putters inside 200. i honestly rarely use my mids though.
What happens when you try to throw your fairway drivers farther than 250' and your mids farther than 200'?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:57 am

garublador wrote:
Shank wrote:i drive off the tee with control at about 325-350. if i crank it i can hit around 375-400, but with significantly less consistency. i throw fairway drivers from around 250 inwards. mids and putters inside 200. i honestly rarely use my mids though.
What happens when you try to throw your fairway drivers farther than 250' and your mids farther than 200'?

just less consistency. if i try to throw those lower speed discs too hard in a situation where i need control, they may or may not come back. i have a tendency to overpower the discs or have a late/early release if i'm trying to hard. i.e. shank. it's getting better though. trying to work on it. have three wizards that i'm going to use for a putters only game later today. the course here is half woods and water heavy, half open and long.
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:59 am

jartiv wrote:big fan of gateway myself... couple of discs I think will help you find the lines you are looking for...

Max Distance

Evolution Apache - definitely going to kick out your wraith... I know it sounds like marketing, but it really does compliment the savage perfectly, and if you like the sabre the apache will feel familiar. I use mine for slight hyzers, hyzer flips, and long turnovers.

For that slower hookshot...

Blaze - overstable fairway driver
Demons - overstable midrange... I pretty much only approach with my putters, so the only midrange in my bag is overstable. I like it because it has a ridiculous fade but it somehow doesnt skip.

i plan on grabbing probably two more savages and a couple of apaches. shopping has to wait though. i'm trimming down my bag to see how less options/better lines benefits me before i start getting multiples of beneficial molds. when time time comes, i'm still thinking warriors for my mids. i really liked it when i threw it in to the lake.
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 pm

tentative set up:

Illusions or Xcal
Apaches
Savages
Sabres or CDs depending
Rocs depending
Wizards

better starting point to get my shit together?
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby cmlasley » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Shank wrote:tentative set up:

Illusions or Xcal
Apaches
Savages
Sabres or CDs depending
Rocs depending
Wizards

better starting point to get my shit together?

It depends on your Illusion. Some are like TeeRexes and others like Wraiths. CDs and Sabres are really on the opposite spectrum of fairway drivers. The CD is long for a fairway driver, and the Sabre is fairly short for a fairway driver (it takes a lot of height to get big distance out of it.) If Warriors are so good, how did yours end up in a lake?
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:46 pm

shank.
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby Shank » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:48 pm

i have two illusions and both are really overstable, so teerexish in your terms
Shank
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:00 pm

cmlasley wrote:If Warriors are so good, how did yours end up in a lake?

You don't understand what the lake shots are like in NWA. Did you lose it on the wooded hole at Northshore (they changed numbering so many times, but I think it's #12 now)? I kicked a Nike Sabre into the lake there last January.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion