First time putting a bag togeter

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

First time putting a bag togeter

Postby biodarwin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:45 am

I have been playing disc golf about 6 months. I have been playing 3-4 days a week since I have started playing. The longer and more open course have been flooded for 2-3 months so we have been playing a lot more technical and shorter courses so I have no idea what my Max D is. I can throw my rocs accurately 300ft. I am planning on playing a lot of torunaments this winter/spring and I want to attempt to put a bag together. So here would be first attempt. Id prefer to stick with innova disc for the time being.

Distance
2 DX Valkrie
One light and one heavy assuming the lighter will be a bit more understable???

Stable Fairway
2 DX Teebird
One new, One beat, not sure about weights,
I have one that is beat, its dead straight when thrown with just a touch of hyzer,
Assuming a new will be a bit more overstable?

Under/Stable Fairway
1 DX Leopard
1 Star Leopard bit more fade but can be turned over

Mid-Range
3-4 Rocs of some sort.
I've only thrown DX's in the past, need to do research of the other types.

Putter
DX Aviar P&A
KC Pro Aviar
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Re: First time putting a bag togeter

Postby MotoDj » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:34 pm

well, i imagine your rather new to the game? i'm not to clear on that... but i'd say you have a pretty solid bag going - i think its wise to keep it simple mold wise and learn your discs..
with that being said, since you already seem to have that in mind, what advise you lookin for? more discs to add or ones to replace?

you prob read these forums as a lurker b4 signing up (most of us do) but the discs you have mentioned seems to be some of the most hyped up on here... so i dont think you can go wrong

personally my bags different, but it works for me, i've tried lots and these were the ones that stuck, and i'm not sure me-vs-you whether we'd benefit each other giving advise
but... its the internet and what the hey...

i know innova...
i love the roadrunner for longer anny's, hyzerflip type shots
firebird for utility, forehand, overstable slot - just a gem
i like the monarch for overhands, but dislike to BH,FH

without knowing the "stability" your discs are - and how they are to you - thats all i'd add
unless your willing to hear "try a buzzz" - dude they are like discs with lazer beams :) but if you like the rocs, and have your "range" covered, then i say keep em
the drone is an amazing disc,but its more "situational" as to when i'd need it, but nothin turns a corner better, fh or bh, skips are mind blowin events

good luck throwin though, sounds like you did your research and chose some solid plastic for a base, i'd bet what you have listed would cover 75-85% of my shots, i just do em with diferent discs... but i think you need a utility disc, overhand disc, and the RR would be a bomb disc, was my longest for a while when i got my mids to the 300 mark (my mids being buzzz's though)

peace
MotoDj
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: i carry 6 favorites

Postby biodarwin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:55 pm

I went out and bought 2 KC Pro Rocs, 1 - 170 DX Valkyrie, 1 172 Leopard.

I absolutely love the rocks, one is 177 and one is 167. I threw them the most out of the bunch today. The Valkyrie was hit or miss. I had one decent drive with it at about 350ft. I seem to be turning it over and once it turns it doesn't come back. However for straight distance / anny lines I think it will work extremely well. I will definitely have to figure out something with the leopard. I turned over / I couldn't seem to find the right angle to throw it. Basically I am still fighting some OATS. I am a big guy, and I have a problem trying to brute force discs, which just makes it go shorter than further. Updated bag:

Overstable Distance
??? Mostly for fighting the wind and throw big Anny lines.

Understable Distance
1 - 170 DX Valkyrie (New)
Maybe get a second one in a different plastic or just a heavier DX model

Stable Fairway
1 DX Teebird (beat)
1 DX Teebird (Still need to acquire this one)

Under/Stable Fairway
1 DX Leopard(new)
1 Star Leopard(Still need to get this)

Mid-Range
1 - 167 KC Pro Roc(new)
1 - 177 KC Pro Roc(new)

Putter
DX Aviar P&A
KC Pro Aviar(Still need)
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Star Valks are good distance drivers and last a long time, try out one of those in the 172 range.

As for your overstable slot the two most suggested discs are firebird and Pred, which I think it just comes down to which one you like the flight path of more. The firebird is going to be shorter but more predictable while the pred is longer but a little less stable.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JimW » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 pm

XXX works as well, especially a flat one.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby biodarwin » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Updated bag - Added 2 of my favorite disc in. Star TL, mold is close to a teebird so should help with the "minimal mold" theory. DX Viper. I use this on my the shorter of the local disc golf courses, lots of baskets behind trees etc..

Over / Stable Distance
1 - 173 Star TL

Understable Distance
1 - 170 DX Valkyrie
1 - 172 Champion Valkyrie

Stable Fairway
1 DX Teebird (beat)
1 DX Teebird

Under/Stable Fairway
1 170 - DX Leopard

Mid-Range
1 - 167 KC Pro Roc
1 - 177 KC Pro Roc
1 - 173 DX Viper Utility disk

Putter
DX Aviar P&A
KC Pro Aviar
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:19 pm

The TL is not that stable and can't handle any real wind. Don't take minimalism so far that it hurts your game due to leaving out essential discs. Other than the overstable slot your bag looks great.
Frank Delicious

Postby JHern » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Star Valks are good distance drivers and last a long time, try out one of those in the 172 range.

I agree. While the DX Valks can be a bit longer, they beat up pretty fast too. The Star Valk is a good plastic/mold combination, and you can get a reliable predictable thing going with it over a long time span because it beats-in so slowly. The only downside to the Star Valk is that it takes a little while to break into the point where it is doing the designed flight line.

Also, turning a disc over is the way to get its maximum distance lines when combined with the right use of elevation and nose angle. Or wicked straight and low on hyzer flips. It can be a very very good thing. As you practice with a given mold, you'll find that you can learn to turn it "just so" and hold the line you desire. That's one reason disc minimalism can be a good thing.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Pwingles » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:26 pm

I say still keep the TL it could be an understable driver, since its in star it will also longer than DX thus saving you the money and effort of buying another DX leopard, which can now cover your roller disc and also have another understable option besides the TL. If you add that overstable firebird/pred/max/xXx to fill your headwind/overhead shot/FH roller disc slot you'll be set

Over / Stable Distance/wind/overhead shot/fh roller
(all these discs will do all these things well)
FB/Pred/Max/xXx

Understable Distance
1 - 170 DX Valkyrie
1 - 172 Champion Valkyrie

Stable Fairway
1 DX Teebird (beat)
1 DX Teebird

Under/Stable Fairway
1 170 - DX Leopard
Star TL

Mid-Range
1 - 167 KC Pro Roc
1 - 177 KC Pro Roc
1 - 173 DX Viper Utility disk
could maybe throw another mold in here thats less stable (instead of viper i mean, whatever works for you), but not 100% necessary

Putter
DX Aviar P&A
KC Pro Aviar
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby biodarwin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:28 am

Played for the first time on a long course with lots of wind and I can definitely see that I need some additional overstable discs to add to the bag.
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Postby biodarwin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:17 pm

Latest Revision

Overstable Distance
1 172 Star Firebird (sick over stable)
1 173? DX Firebird (beat)

Understable Distance
1 - 170 DX Valkyrie (newish)
1 - 172 Champion Valkyrie(new)

Stable Fairway
1 DX Teebird (beat)
1 172 Star Teebird(brand new)

Under/Stable Fairway
1 173 - Star Leopard(new)
1 172 - Star TL(medium)

Mid-Range
1 - 167 KC Pro Roc(new)
1 - 180 KC Pro Roc(new)
1 - 173 DX Viper Utility disk (medium)

Putt and Approach
1 175 Star Avair
1 172 DX Aviar P&A (medium)
1 180 KC Pro Aviar (newish)

7 Molds, 14 discs
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 pm

There is a little overlap there but if you learning the discs and shots I don't see a problem with that bag at all.

Have you found any shots you are lacking Darwin?
Frank Delicious

Postby biodarwin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:24 pm

Not sure. I am really just trying to improve my form everytime I throw. My shot selection is pretty limited at the moment due to my inconsistencies in my throws. I am spending the next month just throwing at a soccer field. Ive been pulling before I plant and its not allowing full rotation and drive with my legs. I once I get this down I bet I will be able to bomb one :)
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm

The valk is a great disc, once your DX gets super beat, itll be a great roller. Once you get the valk down, and you take another step in disc speed and stability, i would suggest maybe a Wraith ( or maybe an orc first, but it may be too insignificant of a step to notice, compared to the wraith) . Seems like a good transition from the valk, and eventually you may need an even bigger disc. I like your bag so far, its simple, yet all your shots are covered. Keep updating this as you progress and also as you get new plastic :)
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby biodarwin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:There is a little overlap there but if you learning the discs and shots I don't see a problem with that bag at all.

What do you think overlaps the most in this bag? I do have a feeling I will drop my Valkyries for Beasts at some point. Similar, but faster.
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion