Bag Critique v2

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag Critique v2

Postby RocHed » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Update :

Overstable Distance Drivers:
175 Star Xcaliber ~ 171 Pro Starfire. Starfire max distance forehand, Xcaliber any time I need a drastic fade either left backhand or right forehand, wind fighter.

Stable Distance Drivers: 172 Star Valkyrie ~ Elite Z Tracker 170ish. Valkyrie is one of my primary backhand only drivers off the tee. Tracker rollers in thick grass, forehand fairway drives, backhand drives when I want a bit off fade and wind fighting.

Slightly Overstable Control Drivers - 168 Glow Teebird ~ 168 DX Teebird ~ 175 DX Teebird. Glow and DX 168 backhand fairway/control drives, tailwind, shorter holes. 175 Teebird low forehand drives, forehand fairway drives occasionally longer approaches forehand. Backhand the lighter teebirds when I want a backhand with very predictable slight left fade in low wind.

Stable Control Drivers - 173 Millenium JLS(Primary backhand control driver in headwind, Fairway drives backhand) ~ 164 Quantum JLS(Main tailwind control driver off the tee backhand, Primary backhand driver). Both are for dead straight drives little to no fade.

Roller - 160 DX Eagle -Beat. Strictly for forehand rollers.

Overstable Mid-Range - Pro D Drone 171-173. Backhand anhyzer approaches, anhyzer s-curves, backhand approaches that require predictable left fade.

Stable Mid-Range - DX Roc's 174-180. 174 for longer backhand approaches and longer approaches with slight left fade. 180 Mid-short backhand approaches, very little left fade.

Putters-Approach - DX Bulldog 170(Main putter) ~ R-Pro Hydra 175(Longer anhyzer putts/approaches)

I throw RHFH/RHBH, forehand for when I want to get max distance, backhand for control and placement. 75% Backhand 25% Forehand. Teebirds/Valk/Tracker/JLS/QJLS backhands 275-290+. Starfire, Xcaliber forehands 300+. Number 1 drivers are my JLS's. Suggestions please!
In The Bag: ~ S-TeeRex ~ C-Firebird ~ 2x C-Wraith's ~ 2x C-Beast's ~ C-Eagle ~ FLX Drone ~ FLX Challenger ~ SSS Wizard ~
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: D Drone

Re: Bag Critique v2

Postby RocHed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Update for self:
Drivers

Star Xcaliber 173 - Overstable utility driver, long turning forehand drives, skip forehands, anhyzer backhands, hyzer spikes.

Opto Riot 170 - Stable max d driver. The Riot replaced my Wraiths once I picked it up, slightly more stable but more predictable in the wind. Great driver, especially for holes that favor righthand fade towards the end of the flight, fantastic skip disc as well. Plastic is unbeatable!

Pro Destroyer 171 - Primary max d driver. Slightly flippy especially in a headwind and slightly stable in a tailwind. Can crush this like no other on straight turnover and tailwind drives.

Champion Beast 169 - Turnover driver, forehand hyzer flipper, forehand hyzer flip turnovers, dogleg lefts. Thrown on holes that favor RHBH.

Fairway Driver

None my Eagle was stolen :-(

Mids

D Drone 171 - Overstable midrange. Headwinds, grenades, hyzer spikes, skip shots and occasionally forehand approaches.

Putters

FLX Challenger 172 - Lost my wizard so my main putter as well as my jump putter and grenade putter.

10/8/2010----------
------------10/19/10
------------11/15/10
Last edited by RocHed on Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
In The Bag: ~ S-TeeRex ~ C-Firebird ~ 2x C-Wraith's ~ 2x C-Beast's ~ C-Eagle ~ FLX Drone ~ FLX Challenger ~ SSS Wizard ~
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:47 am

could maybe use a mid between the drone and comet mebe a buzz or something else
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby RocHed » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I agree! I'll be getting my KC Roc back from the disc store as soon as I have 5$ to get it back from pawn lol. I usually carry multiple rocs but I had some trade opportunitys come up that were too valuable to pass up(like bottom stamp DX roc for Z Comet). I havn't had any problems at all with only those 2 molds as mids though because of the Comet's versatility it can do anything. Hyzer flips for slow gliding straight drives with slight fade and it of course holds an anhyzer extremely well as well.

The Wasp has caught my eye, I'm not fond of Discraft drivers at all(Surge SS is an exception), but their mids are great.

I just traded my SL-ESP Buzz-FLX Avenger SS for a brand new Surge SS and a used 175 Wizard, I tried the buzzz in my bag twice and it just fits into a very mediocre slot. Not quite stable or flippy I'd much rather get a DX Roc and wear it in.
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby Earl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:33 pm

How do you use your Wizard/FLX Challenger combo?

I currently use Medium Wizards for both driving and putting. Recently I've thought about adding a Cryztal or FLX Challenger though, because I play rocky courses frequently, and the bead on my Wizards are getting chewed up quicker than I would like. As much as I like the Wizard for driving, it would be nice to have a good driving putter that will take lots of abuse. I've tried the Evolution Wizard for driving, and that plastic is junk IMO. That Evolution plastic feels like a slippery R-Pro disc to me.

I've heard good things about the Cryztal/FLX Challenger as a driving putter, but I've also heard that the Challenger in premium plastics has too much LSS to be useful for everyday putting. I've also read that the Ion is a good driving putter, too.

So I'm thinking about a Cryztal/FLX Challenger for driving duties and HW putts, and switching to S or SS Wizards for everyday putting. Before I buy, however, it would be nice to hear how someone else uses a Challenger/Wizard combo.

If only Discraft would make a Cryztal Focus...then my problem would be solved.
:cry:
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby RocHed » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Earl wrote:How do you use your Wizard/FLX Challenger combo?

I currently use Medium Wizards for both driving and putting. Recently I've thought about adding a Cryztal or FLX Challenger though, because I play rocky courses frequently, and the bead on my Wizards are getting chewed up quicker than I would like. As much as I like the Wizard for driving, it would be nice to have a good driving putter that will take lots of abuse. I've tried the Evolution Wizard for driving, and that plastic is junk IMO. That Evolution plastic feels like a slippery R-Pro disc to me.

I've heard good things about the Cryztal/FLX Challenger as a driving putter, but I've also heard that the Challenger in premium plastics has too much LSS to be useful for everyday putting. I've also read that the Ion is a good driving putter, too.

So I'm thinking about a Cryztal/FLX Challenger for driving duties and HW putts, and switching to S or SS Wizards for everyday putting. Before I buy, however, it would be nice to hear how someone else uses a Challenger/Wizard combo.

If only Discraft would make a Cryztal Focus...then my problem would be solved.
:cry:

The Esp FLX Challenger I have is just fine for everyday putting. My only complaint with it is the stiffness and rebound of the flx plastic. It doesn't seem to stick in the chains that well, and when I throw grenade approaches with it it often flexes then rebounds popping it upright and sometimes will roll. As far as throwing it, I think it flys great. For me it really accells with jump putts and when there's wind. I do not like it very much for driver putting though, I can't drive it as far as my bulldog, hydra, wizard or omega ap.

I really thought the Wizard did everything my FLX challenger could as good or better. I only slightly preferred jump putts with the challenger. Headwinds the challenger was a bit better but driving I preferred the wizard.

Maybe the cryztal or stiffer plastic in the challenger mold could be better at driving though. Omega AP(small bead aviar?) in baseline/millenium plastic was the best driving putter I've came across so far although I did not like it in the wind at all, even at 175 it seemed to want to float up on me. Something the Challenger doesn't seem to do.
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Earl wrote:As much as I like the Wizard for driving, it would be nice to have a good driving putter that will take lots of abuse. I've tried the Evolution Wizard for driving, and that plastic is junk IMO. That Evolution plastic feels like a slippery R-Pro disc to me.

There are a ton of Evo blends. I have evo Wizards as firm and stiff as champ plastic, ones that feel like a slightly softer blend of star, and my go to driving wizard feels like it's made of FLX. Just an FYI.

RocHed wrote:Star Max 175 - Overstable utility driver, long turning forehand drives, skip forehands, anhyzer backhands, hyzer spikes.

:shock:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby RocHed » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:00 am

Mike C wrote:
Earl wrote:As much as I like the Wizard for driving, it would be nice to have a good driving putter that will take lots of abuse. I've tried the Evolution Wizard for driving, and that plastic is junk IMO. That Evolution plastic feels like a slippery R-Pro disc to me.

There are a ton of Evo blends. I have evo Wizards as firm and stiff as champ plastic, ones that feel like a slightly softer blend of star, and my go to driving wizard feels like it's made of FLX. Just an FYI.

RocHed wrote:Star Max 175 - Overstable utility driver, long turning forehand drives, skip forehands, anhyzer backhands, hyzer spikes.

:shock:

Yup, anhyzer backhands. Anytime I need to go right then left I can always count on the Max
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby Mike C » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 pm

Ah, I thought you meant anhyzers that held a right turn to the ground. That makes more sense now ;)
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Earl » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Hmm...I suppose I'll have to take another look at the Evo Wizard if there are some stiff ones out there. The last one I ordered online...I don't think I'll get another Evo Wizard unless I can buy one in person and actually squeeze on a stack of 'em. I should've realized that Gateway plastics are anything BUT consistent.
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby RocHed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:02 pm

My Wizard was a bit too stiff actually. I am looking for the right one at the moment. Trying to find one that's not too soft or too hard, like the soft Pro D plastic they use on the Magnet. I don't know much about their disc consistency though, although they are extremely fond among most of the better players around here especially the ones that use recycled plastic.
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby RocHed » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Update for self:
Drivers

Star TeeRex 175 - Overstable utility driver, some headwinds. long turning forehand drives, skip forehands, anhyzer backhands, hyzer spikes.

Champ Firebird 173 - Main forehand headwind driver, overhand shots, low ceiling forehands and skips.

Pro D Force - Picked this up just to have the most ridiculous discraft disc in pro d plastic. It rarely sees use but is actually a pretty darn good disc. Random forehands.

2 Champ Wraith's 170-175 - Main forehand stable distance driver, light headwind duty. I use this on any 350ft + hole that's straight or doglegs to the right.

2 Pearly Champ Beast's 162-175 - Main forehand finesse driver, max d turnover driver, dogleg lefts, backhand and forehand tailwind drives. Thrown on holes that favor RHBH. Easily my longest disc in low wind conditions.

Fairway Driver

Champ Eagle 175 - Stable Forehand and Backhand driver. Only disc I regularly backhand. Does everything, used on anything under 350ft.

Mids

FLX Drone 174 - Overstable midrange. Headwinds, grenades, hyzer spikes, skip shots and occasionally forehand approaches.

Putters

FLX Challenger 172 - Stable approach, jump putter and grenade putter. I use this more like a mid-range.

SSS Wizard 174 - Main putter and jump putter inside or around 50ft.

Average driving distances

Wraith's - 325-385 feet.
Beast's - 345-400 feet
Eagle - 280-320 feet
RocHed
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:00 am

The new clear IONs have been more stable than before and according to the ION thread are flying more and more like Wizards now. And the ION can take probably more abuse than any other putter, apart from Vibram's rubber putters.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion