some advice on my set wanted

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

some advice on my set wanted

Postby capital P » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 am

I'm a fairly new player and I'm still improving my technique, but I'd like some advice on what discs I should get.

I now have:

Innova champion sidewinder (I use for driving, but almost always falls to the left to much)
innova dx dragon (for water hazard holes, works fine if I don't throw it too hard)
innova dx orc (severely beat up, really understable, still getting the hang of it)

discraft pro-d buzzz (goes straight most of the time)
discraft elite z xs (I use for forehand drives, works perfect)

daredevil woodchuck putter (very nice up to a certain distance and if not too windy)

I'm going to get a champion leopard. I threw my friend's and it felt perfect for me, flew very straight. I'm also considering a champion groove, but I think that's too much for me to handle, as I still have trouble with the sidewinder.

I'm thinking of getting an esp flx drone for mid-range / approaches that need to go around corners or need forehand (I can't throw my buzzz forehand). Or is that disc too much to handle for a beginner?

Also, the elite x banger gt seems like a nice putter for longer or windy putts, is that correct?

I'd like to have a set with variety, so I don't want many more innova discs. I really want an esp, hence the drone. Some other brands (than innova and discraft) would be nice too.

excuse my bad english
capital P
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Re: some advice on my set wanted

Postby mattw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:59 am

We will need to know your average distance off the tee and what disc you are using to obtain that distance.

If the Sidewinder is trailing left for you then it might be to much disc for you at this time. Same goes for the Orc if you are having control issues. Control driver is a must. You like the champ Leopard so go with that. Other options would be Cyclone, Gazelle, Cheetah, Stalker,Teebird.

Buzzzes are great mids. So you are good there. The Drone is going to be realy stable you might want to hold off on that one. If you want something a little more stable than the Buzzz go for a Wasp or Roc.

Banger is a good driving putter and some people have good luck putting with it as well. If you want to throw one putter mold for driving and putting you could go with Challenger, Wizard, Ridge, Pure, Aviar.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby capital P » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:52 am

I'm throwing about 60-70 meters, (200-230 feet I think) with the champion sidewinder backhand. Every now and then I throw it more straight and it goes 80 meter (260 feet). I think I make the most common mistake with beginners: I want to throw too hard, so it goes up and falls left. It's getting better though.

My forehand is much more straight, but less powerful and gets about 60 meters (200 feet) with the elite z xs.

The orc I'm still getting the hang of, because lately it turns over really quickly and hard. I've used that to get some extra distance (both forehand and backhand) and it worked a couple of times, but I've also ended up way deep in the bushes or OB because of it a few times.

The buzzz is working great for approaches, but I thought a really overstable disc might come in handy for approaches around corners. The description of the drone says it's good for forehand throws and wet and windy conditions. I thought it would make a nice addition. I know it's for advanced players, but my forehand is more advanced than my backhand. What do you suppose would happen if I threw a drone? will it be unpredictable or would it just not get far or what?

I don't understand your last sentence: "throw one putter mold for driving and putting", I guess my english isn't as good as I thought. Do you think the banger gt would be good for me? I put straight with my woodchuck putter (very floppy) up to about 20 feet, but tend to go hyzer when further than that. The woodchuck catches the wind sometimes. Would the banger help me with windy/far/anhyzer puts?

another thing, do you think the avenger ss could be good for me?

Thanks for the advice
capital P
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 am

Going to be blunt: Until you can get your form and release to a point where you can consistently throw your putters around 60-70 meters on straight lines you shouldn't really bother with other discs apart from them. Putters will tell you when you're doing something wrong, and they'll let you fix your form. Maybe a stable to overstable mid for windy situations, but you should really be focusing on your putters.

That is if you're really serious about improving your form. Other than that I'd recommend anything in the slow end of the spectrum, in DX.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby mattw » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:43 am

Some people prefer using one mold for putting and driving off the tee for shorter holes. So they will use discs like the Challenger, Wizard, KC Aviar, Ridge to name a few. If that does not interest you then you could use the Banger for long approaches shorter tee shots and windy putting then use your woodchuck for putting and upshots. Banger is a good putter.

The Avenger SS is still a fast wide rim driver similiar to the sidewinder. I would not recomend the Avenger SS. I am not a power thrower as my distance is not impressive. I took the advice I recieved from this site and went on the slower end of the spectrum. Go with a driver that is considered a fairway driver. These discs can still get out to 350 feet (107 meters side note I am not good at the whole conversion thing) or longer depending on power and form. Discs I would recomend are Cyclone, Stalker, XL, Gazelle, Cheetah, Leopard. You should be able to get these discs up to the recommended speed in order to get the disc to behave correctly. The discs I listed will go straight with limited fade at the end of thier flight. This keeps you in the fairway and out of the woods.

Discrafts description for the Drone probably sounds like a good thing but its not. At your distance it will be a meathook with limited distance. I dont think you will achieve what you are wanting with the drone. I would go with a Roc or Wasp. They are more stable than the buzzz. I have seen players use the Buzzz for the shots you are looking for it just takes time and practice. I use the Buzzz for everything Hyzers, Anhyzers, Straight shots. It is a very versital mid.

jubuttib is correct if you want to get better in a hurry the best thing you can do is spend a lot of time with your putter. Pick up the fairway driver and a more stable mid but dont be afraid to play some putter only rounds. Use the putter for everything from tee to basket. As you get better at controling your putter it translates to the rest of the discs in your bag.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 am

The Drone will be ridiculously overstable at those distances. You're better off with a Wasp or a Roc. And seeing you're using a D Buzzz, even a flat Z Buzzz might work.

I take it that Champ Sidewinders are more stable than DX Sidewinder (haven't thrown a Champ one, but a Champ Roadrunner is way more stable than a DX Sidewinder, so a Champ Sidewinder should be even more stable), so whatever you do, I'd recommend DX above all in every disc, except specialized meathooks for wind use.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby capital P » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 pm

thanks a lot for the advice.

I think I'll get:

champion leopard
pro d banger GT (do you recommend the GT (Groove Top)?)
forget the mid-range, buzz works fine

and maybe another dx fairway driver. Would you say the dx ace would be good for me?

I'd also like an esp disc. How about the impact?

This way I can just practice on an open field throwing 5-6 drivers, picking them up and throwing back again.

I don't really want to play a round with only my putter, my friends would laugh at me and I really want to throw some drives. I'm sorry for ignoring your probably very good advice.
capital P
Noob

Postby mattw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:16 pm

The Banger GT is a nice putter. I used one for a while it was great off the Tee and for approaches and handles the wind well. Putters are about feel. The biggest recomendation I can give you is to go to a retailer and hold what they have. If it doesnt feel good in the hand you wont have confidence in it off the tee or for putting.

The Impact is kind of a cross between a midrange and a short driver. If you are getting the Leopard I dont think you will need the Impact. Champ Leopards start out pretty stable so if you want this disc for turnovers and tunnel shots you might want to go 160-165. If you want a ESP disc I highly recomend the ESP Cyclone. The Cyclone is a great disc and is easy to throw and get up to speed. It is also a great tool for learning how to work multiple golf lines. I use the Cyclone as my main control driver. With a Leopard and a Cyclone this will handle your driver duties well. If you want to add another dx fairway driver I would go with a 170 - 175 DX Teebird. That way you can use it on windy days that push your Leopard and Cyclone around to much. I do not believe the Ace is in production anymore. You might find one now but it could get harder and more expensive to find in the future.

Your bag could look like this

Control Driver
ESP Cyclone

Straight and Turnover Shots
Champion Leopard

Moderately Overstable Wind duties
DX Teebird

Midrange
Buzzz

Putter
Banger GT
you could also keep the woodchuck if you want both putters would work well together.

Its fine not to play putter rounds with you friends but if you can get out by yourself to play it will realy do wonders for your game. Also try not to get to many different kinds of discs. The list above keeps things simple and will allow you to learn your disc and what they can do. You can cause more harm than good by having to many options.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Well, practice with the putters on the field, and when you get it down, go to the course with your friends and own them with just the putter. ;)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Star Shark » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Not to compound things here, but to compliment that Leopard, you might want a Teebird for hyzers and windy days.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby capital P » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 am

This is what I'm thinking now:

distance driver:

dx archangel

Control driver:

Esp cyclone / esp impact (I don't think my retailer has an esp cyclone)

straight and turnover:

champion leopard

Overstable:

champion sidewinder

extreme understable:

beat up dx orc

Forehand:

elite z xs

water hazard:

dx dragon

midrange:

pro d buzzz

putter:

woodchuck putter
pro d banger GT

I already have 6 out of these 10, so I'd be buying the impact/cylone, the leopard, banger and archangel
capital P
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 am

If I remember the impact is not very stable, and would not make a good replacement for the cyclone. It would overlap your leopard more.

If you don't want to throw discs in the water don't throw the dragon. Throwing an unpredictable disc like that is asking to throw wet.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jubuttib » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 am

A very big NO~ on the Archangel. It's the Groove of slower plastic. If you want something understable and faster the DX Sidewinder is infinitely better than the Archangel.

Also the Champion Sidewinder filling the overstable slot looks a bit weird, I know they're more overstable than the DX, but still...
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby tgm » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:21 pm

I'd say don't get a "special" water disc. Get a baseline version of your mid or fairway driver. I bought a Dragon for that purpose too but never really used it much and when I did, it felt odd and my throw wasn't all that good. Now, I've got a set of DX Cyclones/KC Rocs that I use for my hazard discs and the bonus is I throw them as well so I'm familiar with them. If I lose one, they're cheap and easy to replace. You're probably more likely to throw a disc you don't throw often into the drink anyways.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby capital P » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 am

Ok, so I need to find an esp cyclone somewhere

I've been using the dragon on 3 holes on my usual course. I've gotten used to it and it works fine. Also, I don't throw that consistent yet and I can't afford to lose too many discs in the water.

I've been using discgolfcenter.com for comparing discs and the archangel doesn't seem to be a lot like the groove. The stats on archangel look pretty good and the description says it's an easy disc to throw far for new players. If this one isn't good for me, which dx driver is?

I weighed my discs yesterday and found out my champ sidewinder is 177 grams, which is way too heavy for me. This is why it's filling up my overstable slot right now ( it works great for drives that need to go to the left).
capital P
Noob

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion