some advice on my set wanted

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: some advice on my set wanted

Postby capital P » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 am

what weights should I consider for the champion leopard, dx archangel, esp cyclone and pro d banger GT?

I can now get a 168 champion leopard
170 or 171 dx archangel
esp cyclone 166, 168, 172 or 175
pro d banger GT 170 or 172
capital P
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby mattw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:04 pm

[quote="capital P"]what weights should I consider for the champion leopard, dx archangel, esp cyclone and pro d banger GT?

I can now get a 168 champion leopard Good weight
170 or 171 dx archangel I would not get this disc. If you like your Sidewinder get a lighter one in DX 165-168 or A Valk same weights
esp cyclone 166, 168, 172 or 175 I would go 168 not to light not to heavy.
pro d banger GT 170 or 172 This is kind of a preference choice i prefer a little heavier putter but you would be fine with either.[/quote]

I would steer clear of the Archangel it realy is not a good disc. That description is from innova so its a little biased. I would get a Valk or lighter Sidewinder. If they still pull hard left on you then its more you and not the disc. It means that you are not getting the disc up to speed when this happens a disc behaves more stable then intended. So you will want to work on your form and use a slower driver Cyclone or Leopard.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jubuttib » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 pm

When I referred to the Archangel as "the Groove of slower plastic" I meant that it sucks almost as much as the Groove. It's inconsistent, not only to throw but to buy. I have one 150 class Archangel that started out as stable as a Banshee.

But like I said, a DX Sidewinder might be a good choice, if you don't want to go slow with a Leopard or a Cheetah.

EDIT: I'd suggest around 166 for the DX Sidewinder. They're what I used for quite some time. Now I get by without a dedicated flippy driver, I get by with my Meteor and beat P-PD.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby capital P » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:02 am

I threw my elite z xs in the water yesterday. It's a shame, it was a nice disc. I was using this disc for my forehand and it worked great, until recently. It was getting more difficult to throw as it was getting beat up and understable. It might have been a bit beat up already when I got it.

what would you suggest as a replacement? (midrange would be nice, I guess, maybe a bit overstable)

So now I'm thinking of buying:

champion leopard 168
dx valkyrie
esp cyclone 168
pro d banger GT 172
forehand replacement

This is what I have right now:

daredevil woodchuck putter 165
pro d buzzz 166
dx dragon 148
dx orc 170 (very beat up and understable, getting the most distance with this one now thanks to the turn, probably about 90 meter (almost 300 ft))
champion sidewinder 177

Do you guys think that the leopard, the cyclone and the valkyrie will really do different things for me? I'm focusing on getting straight, far flying drives now. Hyzers I already got down. Anhyzer will come later as I now use forehand when I need to go to the right.
Do you think the banger is necessary, since I already have a (very very soft) putter?
capital P
Noob

Postby mattw » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Out of the Leopard Valk and Cyclone. Personaly the Cyclone is the best learning tool out of the three. You can build your control section of your drivers with this one alone. The Cyclone can work for hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots, S curves. Most people on this site will agree that it is one of the most versitle discs you can get. You could use ESP for your more stable shots with a more predictable fade. Elite X is great for working golf lines I listed earlier. Pro D plastic is great for understable. The Valk makes a great distance driver its not in the same catagory as the Cyclone and Leopard. Leopard is good for straight and understable shots but with practice and angle of release can handle hyzers as well. Regardless of what disc you choose it will come down to time and practice. The Banger is not necessary. Use the woodchuck if you are comfortable with that putter. Its important to have a putter that you can use for approach shots, shots of the tee as well as putting. You just need to pick one you like.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby capital P » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:49 am

allright, new season, new discs, new advice wanted please.

My technique has improved greatly since last year. I'm not very consistent yet, but I actually throw some decent shots once in a while. I'm finally getting the BH drive right, but my forehand isn't going as well as last year.

I used to throw a dx orc fairly far and quite accurately with my forehand, until it got beat up so much that it turns over every throw. I used an elite z xs after that, but it also started getting beat up and I lost it in the water. Now almost all my forehand throws turn over. I'm not sure if my technique has changed or I just need the right disc. I think I get a lot more snap with my FH than my BH, but less speed, as I wasn't able to keep my sidewinder from going hyzer with BH until a few days ago, but with FH it turns over almost immediately. I bought an esp drone today because I thought it wouldn't turn over, but it still does. I'm thinking about getting a new orc, but I'm afraid it won't help.

Right now I have:
Champion sidewinder for BH drive (starting to get the hang of it, going pretty straight)
dx dragon for water hazards and overhead approach(turns over if I throw too hard)
dx orc for BH anhyzer (beat up understable, always turns over, but I've learned how to use that)
pro-d buzzz for BH approach (flies straight)
esp drone for FH approach (turns over too much)
woodchuck advanced putter (floppy disc, awesome)

what I want to buy:

dx orc/dx teebird/R-pro boss for FH drive
champion leopard for BH drive
esp cyclone for BH drive

Does anyone have any advice? Should I get the orc,teebird, boss or something different for my FH drive? Any other suggestions? All advice is appreciated
capital P
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:53 am

Your forehand woes are indicative of a bad technique flaw: classic wrist roll inducing massive OAT. It's not that you are throwing them too fast, you are just throwing them poorly. Buy a champion or star Teebird and work with that.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jubuttib » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 am

I with CatPredator. I doubt you're getting more "snap" (I think you actually mean spin) with your FHs, since a disc spinning faster and going slower wouldn't turn over more easily (you did say you get more speed with your BH). Most people get less spin with their FH than with their BH (and according to Ville Piippo FH just plain has less spin potential) and that along with OAT will lead to discs turning over. With good technique though you can FH putters to 250' without them flipping incessantly.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby capital P » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:28 pm

I see. I think I never had that problem last year (my first year of discgolf) and now I have it about half the time I throw FH. Any idea what might cause this? What should I pay attention to next time I practice my FH?

So you say a teebird would be better for me than an orc? or should I buy both? I used to throw my dx orc quite straight and far before it got beat up so bad.

thanks for the advice so far
capital P
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:55 pm

What you throw really doesn't matter much at this stage of your game. The slower and less overstable a disc is, the more it will expose flaws in your form, but the harder it will be to control at first. Teebirds are great because they can handle a little bit of imperfection, but not a lot, and they can handle absurd amounts of power if you apply it properly. Stepping down to an even slower disc will help you develop good technique, while stepping up to a faster disc like the Orc will make it easier to throw now, but will hamper you in the long run.

There is a ton of information in the technique forums and I recommend reading through it if you are serious about getting better. Otherwise just experiment and have fun...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby capital P » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:57 am

it's not very often I get an answer this clear on a forum. Thanks a lot for that.

I'll get a teebird and practice my forehand with it and with my esp drone.

what should I pay attention to when practicing my FH to prevent this OAT? My wrist, obviously, but anything else?
capital P
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 am

Your whole body is important for throwing, but at first it's important to isolate your forearm and wrist motion. Blake designed a bunch of great drills for forehand in The "Incomplete" Secret Technique sticky in the tech forum. Check em out.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion