My bag, tell me what's missing :)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My bag, tell me what's missing :)

Postby Smigles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:40 am

So, here is my bag :) All discs are 170 - 175g, because i was used to 175g from the ultimate discs and i didnt put much thought into weights when shopping for my first batch of discs, which are the discs i am still using today. All discs that i have twice are 1 that i play and 1 purely for backup in case of a lost or broken disc.

Putter :

2 Pure Zero plastic - understable, i use these for putting and left to right aproaches
2 Aviar JK - overstable, i use these for all my hyzer aproaches, never for putting

Midrange :

1 X comet - totaly flippy
1 Z comet - moderatly flippy
3 Buzzz ( ESP, ESP flex and Z ) - anything you want them to do.

Drivers ( from lest to most stable )

2 ESP Avenger SS - Rollers
2 Pro Valkyrie - Hard right fades
2 Orion ls - moderate right fades
2 X Avenger - straight fairway driver
2 Strar Destroyers - long distance drivers, the disc with the power ^^
1 ESP Avenger - a special one, realy realy stable, if the X Avengers are realy 1.6 then this one is at least 2.5
2 Star Boss - crazy ass stable driver, for tornados and ultra hyzer spikes
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Re: My bag, tell me what's missing :)

Postby kern9787 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:58 pm

My biggest suggestion would be minimizing molds. The JK Aviar shouldn't be so stable that you couldn't use it with a bit of anny for your left to right approaches. You shouldn't see too much difference putting with it compared to the Pure (within 30 ft).

You may consider picking up a more stable mold for your mids. Wasp, roc, and warrior come to mind, although there are others that I haven't thrown.

Can you use one of your buzzes for the same shots as your comets? What I am seeing is 5 discs for varying degrees of straight to understable, when you could use 2 or 3 discs tops for the same shots.

It looks like your drivers are the same way. You have two of each of the Avenger SS, Valkryie, and the Orion LS, when in reality, they could for the most part be used interchangeably for the same shots. You will learn a lot more learning to throw one disc to turn over to varying degrees rather than throwing different discs the same way for slightly different outcomes.

How much difference is there in the Destroyer and Boss for you? How far do you usually throw each?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:50 am

You are missing a fairway driver in the speed range 6-7. They are god for long turns anny and hyzer around corners or obstacles that fly farther than mids.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 am

kern9787 wrote:My biggest suggestion would be minimizing molds. The JK Aviar shouldn't be so stable that you couldn't use it with a bit of anny for your left to right approaches. You shouldn't see too much difference putting with it compared to the Pure (within 30 ft).

You may consider picking up a more stable mold for your mids. Wasp, roc, and warrior come to mind, although there are others that I haven't thrown.

Can you use one of your buzzes for the same shots as your comets? What I am seeing is 5 discs for varying degrees of straight to understable, when you could use 2 or 3 discs tops for the same shots.

It looks like your drivers are the same way. You have two of each of the Avenger SS, Valkryie, and the Orion LS, when in reality, they could for the most part be used interchangeably for the same shots. You will learn a lot more learning to throw one disc to turn over to varying degrees rather than throwing different discs the same way for slightly different outcomes.

How much difference is there in the Destroyer and Boss for you? How far do you usually throw each?

Ok, first things first. I cannot loose the pures. They are the best putters ever ever ever, and they are so grippy, and they are so nice, and they feel so good, no way i get rid of them :) But they are very understable, so i need something a bit more stable for aproaches. I never ever use the aviars for putting, i just love the pures way to much.

No, the Buzzzes dont do the same thing as the comets. The comets flip. The X Comet is so flippy that it is a roller disc ( well, almost ). The Z comet still fips. None of my buzzzes flips, ever. I only have the comets for flip throws, for everything else i use the buzzz.

SS, LS, Valkyrie : i carry two of each for backup reasons. And they realy do different things for me. The SS is so flippy, i can NOT use them for anything else but rollers. The valkyrie is very flippy still, i can not keep them hyzer, no matter how much hyzer i give them at release, they always flip over and glide to the right ( more or less ) gently. The LS on the other hand flips, then goes for miles gliding to the right, but in the end comes back to the left again a little bit. ( All of these descriptions are when i throw them with as much hyzer as possible. Yes, they all flip. )

Boss, Destroyer : The boss is way more stable than the destroyer ^^ I can throw S-curves and straight lines with the destroyer, but never with the boss. I throw the boss maybe 110 meters, the destroyer 130. But the Boss gets rarely used, only for hyzer spikes and when there is to much wind even for my destroyer. The boss is a very extreme disc and only in the bag for very extreme moments, while the destroyer is my favorite long distance driver.

All in all i like having many discs and many possibilities. I practice daily and i know what my discs do. It's not that i get confused because i have to many discs, i know them all and i know exactly what to use for what situation. Well, most of the time anyway :)

JR wrote:You are missing a fairway driver in the speed range 6-7. They are god for long turns anny and hyzer around corners or obstacles that fly farther than mids.

I thought that the avenger / Orion LS cover these ? Or are they too fast allready ?

Do you mean something like a Leopard/cheetah ? I have some Leopards at home, but never use them.

ps : i will get a delivery this week with one of each of the vibram discs. I just have to try them. Maybe my bag will look kinda different next week :)
Smigles

Postby kern9787 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:43 am

Smigles wrote:SS, LS, Valkyrie : i carry two of each for backup reasons. And they realy do different things for me. The SS is so flippy, i can NOT use them for anything else but rollers. The valkyrie is very flippy still, i can not keep them hyzer, no matter how much hyzer i give them at release, they always flip over and glide to the right ( more or less ) gently. The LS on the other hand flips, then goes for miles gliding to the right, but in the end comes back to the left again a little bit. ( All of these descriptions are when i throw them with as much hyzer as possible. Yes, they all flip. )

My point regarding these is that if you can throw them all with as much hyzer as possible, why couldn't you throw the LS with a little bit less hyzer to replicate the Valkyrie flight, and even less hyzer if you want it to flip and roll? If you are comfortable with your shots, then great. But in my opinion, it would be so much more beneficial in the long run to learn to throw several throws with fewer disc types than learning fewer shots with several disc types.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

I had the impression that you should throw as similar as possible and let the disc do the work, so that you have less room for error. But that is just my impression, maybe i am totaly wrong with this ^^
Smigles

Postby Pwingles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Ok, first things first. I cannot loose the pures. They are the best putters ever ever ever, and they are so grippy, and they are so nice, and they feel so good, no way i get rid of them :) But they are very understable, so i need something a bit more stable for aproaches. I never ever use the aviars for putting, i just love the pures way to much.
Its not the end of the world for disc minimalists every where if someone is comfortable with multiple putting molds, putting to me, is something you have to be comfortable and confident at, and if thats what puts you in that frame of mind, then ok

No, the Buzzzes dont do the same thing as the comets. The comets flip. The X Comet is so flippy that it is a roller disc ( well, almost ). The Z comet still fips. None of my buzzzes flips, ever. I only have the comets for flip throws, for everything else i use the buzzz.
You could probably use buzz's for the same things you use comets for, buzz/putter combo should cover almost all the same shots

SS, LS, Valkyrie : i carry two of each for backup reasons. And they realy do different things for me. The SS is so flippy, i can NOT use them for anything else but rollers. The valkyrie is very flippy still, i can not keep them hyzer, no matter how much hyzer i give them at release, they always flip over and glide to the right ( more or less ) gently. The LS on the other hand flips, then goes for miles gliding to the right, but in the end comes back to the left again a little bit. ( All of these descriptions are when i throw them with as much hyzer as possible. Yes, they all flip. )
Valk, dump the rest IMO, they are good for turnovers, rollers, annys, and if youre flipping them even from a hyzer, disc up, or maybe youre wrist rolling (likely this)

Boss, Destroyer : The boss is way more stable than the destroyer ^^ I can throw S-curves and straight lines with the destroyer, but never with the boss. I throw the boss maybe 110 meters, the destroyer 130. But the Boss gets rarely used, only for hyzer spikes and when there is to much wind even for my destroyer. The boss is a very extreme disc and only in the bag for very extreme moments, while the destroyer is my favorite long distance driver.
I can identify with this, there are several discs you could use here that arent the boss, but if thats what youre comfortable with i say go for it, maybe one day you'll grow to love the boss for the same things you love the Destroyer for and it will replace it

All in all i like having many discs and many possibilities. I practice daily and i know what my discs do. It's not that i get confused because i have to many discs, i know them all and i know exactly what to use for what situation. Well, most of the time anyway :)

JR wrote:You are missing a fairway driver in the speed range 6-7. They are god for long turns anny and hyzer around corners or obstacles that fly farther than mids.

I thought that the avenger / Orion LS cover these ? Or are they too fast allready ?
These should do the job
Do you mean something like a Leopard/cheetah ? I have some Leopards at home, but never use them.

ps : i will get a delivery this week with one of each of the vibram discs. I just have to try them. Maybe my bag will look kinda different next week :)[/quote]
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby kern9787 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Smigles wrote:I had the impression that you should throw as similar as possible and let the disc do the work, so that you have less room for error. But that is just my impression, maybe i am totaly wrong with this ^^

If you want to stay consistent to what you are throwing, then yeah, I guess that would work. But you won't really progress at all. Some of the best disc golfers I know can go out with a few discs and throw every shot they need to with just those discs. Of course some discs work better for different shots, but the important thing is really learning how to throw the discs to do what you want, rather than throwing different discs each time to do what you want.

Read through a bit of this and see if it helps at all.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=640
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you know what pushing through hyzer/anhyzer is? Slower discs tend to move more sideways and start the turning earlier and at a faster rate than faster discs. In this capacity speed 6-7 discs will go around tighter bends and move farther to the side when the fairways are tight and/or there is a ceiling than fast discs. Leopard would certainly work. And it costs nothing to use. Another benefit to the Leopard is the ability to throw high with low fade longer than mids. I imagine that is important in Switzerland.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Smigles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Roc Lover wrote: or maybe youre wrist rolling (likely this)

That sounds alot like me, yes ^^

Thanks alot for all the hints, gives me alot to think about. Will post back in a few.
Smigles

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion