rusty's current bag / alterna-bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

rusty's current bag / alterna-bag

Postby RustyP » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 pm

I've had this same set-up for the past 2-3 years, at least in terms of the molds used.

Distance:
175 1.2 QOLF - beefy yellow/orange marbled plastic. Great HSS, but still workable out to 415'ish.
172 1.1 SOLF - well-used. Hyzer-flips and rollers.

Fairway:
175 1R Star TB - moderately overstable, domey.
173 CE TB - very flat, dead straight with predictable fade for last 15-20% of flight.
175 10x KC TB - pretty flippy, tons of glide, great slow turner.

Overstable:
175 Glow FB - retardedly overstable, little glide. Utility disc.
174 CE FX - well used, but still overstable with decent glide.

Mids:
179 Star "baby" Rancho Roc - headwind shots...moderately overstable, but lacks glide.
180 BB Rancho - moderately overstable with great glide.
180 DX Rancho - dead straight, money stage. 2008 run.
180 DX Rancho - moderately understable. 2004 run.

Putters:
175 CT Medium Wiz - stable drives, slightly overstable, very stiff / glossy.
175 Soft Proto Wiz - straight, turnover drives.
175 Medium Wiz - VERY beat, soft approaches, running chains from 90'-150'.
175 Medium Wiz - big wiz stamp, glossy / slightly tacky / rubbery...go to putter.

I'm content with this set up, but I'd like to build an alternative bag with newer molds just for fun. This is where I need some help, as I haven't really kept up with what's new in the disc world for the past couple of years. I was initially thinking I could go PD, XXX, Stalker, Core, Mako, and Focus to cover the full range of shots, but I'd like some input from people with experience with these molds and other newer molds. Suggest away!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: rusty's current bag / alterna-bag

Postby Monocacy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:03 am

RustyP wrote:I was initially thinking I could go PD, XXX, Stalker, Core, Mako, and Focus to cover the full range of shots, but I'd like some input from people with experience with these molds and other newer molds. Suggest away!

Core + Fuse might be more versatile than Core + Mako.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Smigles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Whatever you do, dont forget the Buzzz and the Destroyer.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby RustyP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Smigles wrote:Whatever you do, dont forget the Buzzz and the Destroyer.

Really looking to try molds that've been released within the last year or two. I've thrown the buzzz and destro before - I've actually got an x buzzz in my screw-around bag right now, but haven't been impressed so far. As for the destroyer, I can't mess with rims wider than an orc -- can't get a feel for the leverage, thus no real snap (small hands). I really wish I could handle the giant rimmed discs though...the extra distance would be nice :)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 pm

I'll think you'll find the pd's taking care of the olf and t-bird spot. I think the Core and Mako might overlap. Otherwise the alternate setup looks good.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby RustyP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 pm

Tested 2 172g S-PDs out toda...yelow first run (flat) and red production run (fairly domey). So far can't see what the hype is about, and definitely can't see them replacing my teebirds. They flew a lot like my overstable 1.2 QOLF, but I just don't see them hitting those dead-balls-straight lines I can get with the TB. I'll definitely keep testing them for a while though, maybe grab a P-PD too.

Also got a 180g star Mako recently. Don't know if mines a freak, but its really overstable. Same here, not impressed yet, but I'll keep testing.

Good to hear from you chris, how's life in ole kain-turkey?
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Things are going good up in the land of fried chicken. It's going to take me a while to get done with seminary. They consider 9 hours as full time. The good thing about it is that I can take classes during my summer and winter breaks. On the flip side, everything is truncated in one week. You can imagine taking a class that requires a lot of assignments and reading in one week. Regardless, I'm glad that I'm doing it.

On the family front, my wife and I celebrated the birth of our second daughter this past February. Ahhhh well, still no luck on passing on the family name. :D One day...one day :lol:

As far as the PD is concern, you have to get a P-PD. The P-PD is better at straight lines out of the box. I do remember the 1st run being more overstable than the freak run.

It's good to hear from you too, Rusty. How's things going in the Dallas area? Do you still have the "beard of Zeus?" :lol:
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:45 am

Congrats on the daughter man! I trimmed the beard down a lot and cut all my hair off, but I still rock the mountain man beard from time to time..it grows fast :)
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby mattw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:13 am

The S PD didnt work for me either. I do however like the 2 PPDs that are in the bag. For me they are longer than what I could get Teebirds out to and the grip is comfortable. Mine are on the light side at 169 but still take a pretty good headwind.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby RustyP » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:55 am

I played another full round with the domey, red S-PD a few days ago, and its slowly growing on me...S-L-O-W-L-Y :D I can see where it could replace both my 1.2 QOLF and Tsunami (in whatever plastic DGA calls their star equivalent), and it has a good feel in the hand, whic can sometimes be a problem with the Tsunami. What I really need to do is grab a P-PD too and take both to some different courses...my home course has a ton of RHBH hyzers, so I haven't gotten to use the PD for many other lines yet. Guess a little field practice wouldn't hurt either ;)
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby RustyP » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Finally starting to see the teebird-ish flight of the PD. Played in some wind today, and had some nice straight PD shots in the ~330' range. The main difference I'm seeing so far is in the low speed fade portion of the flight...where my teebirds tend to stay straight or have a very slight fade, the PD seems to have a hard fade. Beats the pants off the teebird on anhyzer flex shots...the tb wants to hold that anhyzer angle all the way to the ground, but the PD gets stable at the end and hyzers out. I'll probably use the 1R PD in place of my heavy 1R Star Teebird for a while until it gets beat in more. My red production run S-PD got a nasty cut on the rim after nailing a tree...not quite as durable as I had assumed, but still flies nicely.

Also been messing around with a 163g Pro Wraith lately. I've always stayed away from wide rims due to grip slippage (short fingers), but I had a lot of success with it today. I was hitting 380' on low line drives pretty easily, where I would normally have to REALLY lay into my OLFs. I'm thinking with some more practice I could start hitting 400+ no problem (was there last year, throwing 400' golf lines, but lost some D when I stopped playing as often), and it may even work its way into my permanent set-up. If I can manage to get it out to 450 with any feel of control, its definitely in the bag.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby kern9787 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:44 pm

You should try out one of the Nate Doss surges. They have a very similar flight, but the rim is much easier to grip.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby RustyP » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Are they any different from the regular production run Surges? I threw ESP Surges for a while back in 2007-2008, but ditched them when I went through my "nothing faster than a fairway driver" phase.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:44 pm

Your love will grow once you get a P PD. The P PD is great. Once it gets a little beat it will be easier to power down. A little hyzer with a semi-beat PD is straight with little fade. You'll be able to cover a ton of shots with a P and S PD.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kern9787 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:57 pm

RustyP wrote:Are they any different from the regular production run Surges? I threw ESP Surges for a while back in 2007-2008, but ditched them when I went through my "nothing faster than a fairway driver" phase.

I always was under the impression that the ND surges were more stable in general (more dome, and I would assume a higher PLH) although I've only thrown a ND and a FLX surge. The FLX was flat and very flippy compared to the ND, but I believe they were notorious for that.

As I transitioned from surge to wraith, I kept my ND as a slightly more understable counterpart to my 12x wraith. I'm not sure if that helps compare them or not.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion