frolfie's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

frolfie's bag

Postby frolfie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:53 pm

OK so basically I am a newbie...and I'd like some advice...so here is what is in my bag

Drivers:
170 Champ Sidewinder...this disc has gotten me the most distance...but stay tuned at the end.
172 Champ Leopard...just started using this today and its ok...hasn't won me over

Mid:
168g ESP Buzzz...love love love...easily my favorite disc...
182g DX Roc....not sure about this one yet...played with it today and almost bent it..

Putter:
175g Champ Aviar

OK...so here is my question....more times than not if I really try to rip a drive (always RHBH), it goes high and fades HARD to the left....I get about 175' on these types of drives...usually less. then, a good amount of the other drives go about 200 then cut hard left, and finally there is the once in about every 50-75 drives that goes straight as a laser...now does it go straight as a laser to the hole? not always...but its straight.

I think the thing that frustrates me most is that I can almost drive just as far with buzzz as I can with my sidewinder and leopard. Maybe there are some better discs out there for me? I'm also at the point where I really only want to be carrying 2 maybe 3 drivers, 1 maybe 2 mids and a putter. To be honest, I really can't tell all that much difference between drivers now that i've narrowed it to the sidewinder and leopard...but I do like champ/Z/esp/star plastics...help me please? haha....oh and I can generate power...every once in a while that straight drive goes 300' maybe more...so any advice is much, much appreciated...i love disc golf...now i want to improve.

frolfie
frolfie
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz ESP

Re: frolfie's bag

Postby frolfie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:57 pm

oh ps...in my room I have:

171 ESP Nuke
171 Champ Monarch (not a fan)
174 Star sidewinder
168 DX rhyno
frolfie
Noob

Postby mattw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Based on the distance you are throwing first thing is to drop the Sidewinder. It looks like to much disc for you this would also include the Nuke and Monarch. Dont get rid of them just stick them in the closet. Leopard is a good driver for you to start out with. Your mids are fine both are good discs. Putter looks good.
If your disc is going about 200 to 250 and cutting hard left it could mean a couple of things. The disc you are using requires more power then you are generating in order to get it up to speed. Another issue could be your form. Are you drawing the disc flat accross your chest or are you raising your arm at release? If you dont keep the disc nose down it exposes the underside of the disc which causes the disc to stall out and veer left on RHBH throws. The technique section on this site has great videos and instructions on improving form. It takes practice and time to develope a decent drive.
This is the recomendation that most newer players dont want to hear but I will say it anyway. Play some putter only rounds. Use that aviar from tee to green. Putters can go a long way. It will teach you proper form which will translate to other discs in your bag.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby frolfie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:50 pm

I think I am pulling across my chest then releasing high...every once in a while my shoulder pops when I release too high...that hurts...but I know what it feels like to release it cleanly. Anyways I will definitely try some putter only rounds...
frolfie
Noob

Postby mattw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Learning a flat release is important becouse everything else builds off of that. Part of the reason your Buzzz goes almost as far as your driver is becouse you are getting it up to speed so its glide kicks in and the disc carrys. The Buzzz is a great mid that feels almost driver like. Its the only mid in my bag at the moment and one of my favorite discs. I have started to play more putter only rounds and I feel the control it teaches has translated into my other discs.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby frolfie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I would like to get a Z buzzz for sure...I bought a roc just to try it out since everyone swears by it..and I like it...but my buzzz just feels more comfortable...so I'll probably toss my roc aside and get another buzzz
frolfie
Noob

Postby mattw » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Both discs are solid. I liked the Roc as well went with the Buzzz due to comfort and throwing style. If it doesnt feel right in the hand I think it affects your confidence in being able to pull off the shot when it matters.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby frolfie » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:32 pm

OK I went to a field today and threw my discs around... I got the most distance (consistently) with my dx Roc, coming in at about 230' average. I got my buzzz to about 210 consistently. My 2 aviars, I got them to about 170 consistently...but my leopard, and 2 sidewinders, were all at about 200-220 feet. This is annoying...but I have realized a more smooth throwing motion that I am a lot more comfortable with. So I guess I will take my mids and putters and just play with them until I can get a faster motion for my drivers. Now my question is this....I like the way the roc feels and I like the way the buzzz feels...I like the shots I can make on a course and on any given day the roc is better than the buzzz and vice versa....so how should I choose? I'd really like to get my bag to 2 drivers, 1-2 mids and a putter...so I have the aviar...but as far as I can tell, my buzzz and roc act almost identical.
frolfie
Noob

Postby koffee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I agree with the above posters looks like sound advice. I would not be afraid to keep testing the mids. Having both in your bag gives you another fine disc to throw from the pad when you’re practicing. IMO choose the mid you like in a month or so just keep a mental journal on which one you reach for in clutch situations and choose that one.

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion