yvescy's noodle arm bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

yvescy's noodle arm bag

Postby yvescy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:39 am

Distance Drivers:
Firebird (Champ/170g)- Overstable duties/hyzers/sidearm
PD (P-Line/170g)-Stable distance
DD (P-Line/168g)- Stable distance, slightly longer than my PDs, but has more fade.
Destroyer (DX /175g)- really beat up= long turnover shots, big anhyzers, long tunnel shots.

Fairway Drivers:
TL (Champ/170g)- beat in, straight flyer with no fade. gentle hyzers/anhyzers
TL (Star/168g)- new, shorter than my champ TL and has more fade. Flies like a long KC Pro Roc for me.

Mids:
Roc (DX/168g)- beat
Roc (KC Pro/169g)- stable mid

Putters:
Aviar (KC Pro/175g)- Approaches, short drives
Voodoo (SS/174g)x2- Main putters

A little about myself. I've been playing consistenly for about half a year now. I can throw in the low 300s consistently. My max have been at 350s. I max my rocs at about 275 feet. My home course... (or should I say courses) is La Mirada, California (front/back). Oh, and I still have a hard time sleeping sometimes because I have an itch to throw discs. Yeah...the bug bit me hard.
Last edited by yvescy on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voodoo/KC Aviar/Roc/Gazelle/PD/Firebird
yvescy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: yvescy's noodle arm bag

Postby yvescy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 am

I'll take all the feedback and suggestions I can get... I like to keep this as simple as possible.

Right now I'm sort of debating on a long distance turnover driver... The only thing that I really have for that is my really beat up DX Destroyer. So many discs to choose from...I would like something to be a tad slower and more durable without sacrificing glide.

I have a feeling that my DX Destroyer will lose it's current flight char. sooner or later and will turnover too much or too quickly.

I do have a Champ Beast (175g) that I hardly use. Right now its pretty stable... I wonder if that'll fill in the slot once I beat it in.

Or how about lighter weight P-PD?
Maybe even just rotating DX destroyers for max D and beat ones for long turnover/tunnel shots?
That would help replace my P-DD...
yvescy
Noob

Bag Update: discing down a bit

Postby yvescy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:10 am

Distance Drivers:
Firebird (Champ/170g)- Overstable duties/sidearm
PD (P-Line/170g)
PD (P-Line/175g)
PD (S-Line/167g)

Fairway Drivers:
TL (Champ/170g)- beat, straight flyer and hardly any fade. Utility driver
TL (Star/168g)- new, shorter than my champ TL and has more fade. Flies like a long KC Pro Roc for me.
Gazelle (DX/175g)-new

Mids:
Roc (DX/168g)- beat
Roc (KC Pro/169g)- stable mid

Putters:
Aviar (KC Pro/175g)- Approaches, short drives
Voodoo (SS/174g)x2- Main putters

I've basically taken out all my discs that are 10 speed or faster.
After using mostly my TLs and other drivers during small club tournaments here at my home course, I've been loosing some touch with my Rocs. I haven't been able to finesse them much and turn them over badly at times. It's back to practicing playing rounds with my mids and putters again. It's a lot of fun anyway.

Also picked up a new DX gazelle and I'm really liking it. I felt I needed to use something in between my mids and my PDs. I played a couple of 9 hole courses in Irvine, CA today (Deerfield and Frontier Park) using mostly my rocs and putters. I threw the Gazelle a few times and after hitting some trees with it... I couldn't see any scratches, marks, or chunks out of it. It's either the trees I hit were soft... or the DX gazelle in max weight is pretty compact. Either way... it's a great disc. Great utility driver. I plan to get a couple more and they may replace my TLs in the future.
Last edited by yvescy on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yvescy
Noob

Postby Earl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

yvescy wrote:
Right now I'm sort of debating on a long distance turnover driver... The only thing that I really have for that is my really beat up DX Destroyer. So many discs to choose from...I would like something to be a tad slower and more durable without sacrificing glide.

Before recommending a long-distance turnover driver, there is one decision you must make:

"When I throw my long-distance turnover disc, do I want the disc to try and straighten out near the end of its flight, or do I want the disc to keep turning over all the way until it hits the ground?"

If you want a long-distance turnover disc so you can hold a slight anhyzer and not get a funny bounce/roll when it hits the ground, I would recommend a Discraft Z Avenger SS. In my experience, this disc holds a great anhyzer line, yet has just enough low speed stability to straighten out near the end of its flight to have a soft landing without much bounce/roll. It's also a great hyzer-flip distance disc. Other discs in this category are the Sidewinder, Monarch and the Vision.

If you want a long-distance turnover disc so you can throw big, high, curvy anhyzers, and have a great roller disc, I would recommend a Champion Roadrunner. I've seen some amazing shots with this disc. You can throw some big, curvy anhyzers with the Roadrunner that will continue to curve until they hit the ground. The Roadrunner has so much glide it looks like a kite in the air. Sometimes, though, if they hit the ground at too steep an angle, you will get a big bounce/roll when it finishes. They are good for hyzer-flips, but you can't overpower it, otherwise it will continue to turn over after it flips flat. They are excellent for roller shots. When I throw mine for a roller, I simply throw it flat and hard and the disc does the rest for me. The only other disc I know of that behaves like the Roadrunner is the Discwing Quarter K2.

However, you can have both types of long-distance turnover discs in the same mold. Buy an Innova DX Valkyrie. After an initial break-in period, it will fly similar to an Avenger SS. After a much longer break-in period, it will fly like a Roadrunner. All for $8. Even though the disc is not in a premium plastic, it will have a long, useful life. Also, for rollers, I really like DX plastic. It's my suspicion that premium plastic is prone to funny skips and bounces as it rolls on the ground.
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby mark12b » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 pm

good call on the gazelles. keep with them until you get one nice and broken-in, and you'll have a lot more lines available that you're hitting with the TLs.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby yvescy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 pm

@Earl
Good point on that. I actually want a disc that can do a straight to a turnover and finish right (rhbh). Basically like a rh sidearm, but that usually has a chance of skipping and I can usually get more distance with my backhand. I find that discs that are stable to understable work best for anhyzers (for me at least).
I've thrown a sidewinder a few times and a valkrie, but I'll definitely check our a Roadrunner or an Avenger SS. I think my bro plans to get one of those. Thanks for the recommendations.

@mark12b
Been throwing the gazelle a lot more, where I use to throw my TL, and I'm happy with it. It's not as straight as my TL, but with the DX plastic it definitely has way better glide. I still need to experiment using it for more lines.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
yvescy
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion