Help me build my friend a bag for his birthday

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me build my friend a bag for his birthday

Postby Pwingles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:31 am

My friend has been playing about as long as i have. He is more of a casual player. Recently he had his discs stolen and bag which sucks, so i gave him a bag and he had a couple discs he wasnt using so hes using those with some loaners atm. He expressed interest in trying to correct his form and increase his D and accuracy which to this point has not been a major concern for him like i said, casual. Its his B day so hell be getting a little money and was gonna buy some discs with our help lets build him a bag that doesnt suck.

A little about him, Max D 320 ish (very inconsistent), mostly throws RHFH, but is working on his BH. Trying to get him out of the habit of getting a random overstable driver and throwing an "s" shot on all his shots because thats the only way he can aim a throw and predict where it will go.

Was thinking:

Putter: Aviar BB, or Wiz. he has used BB's forever but likes my wiz that hes borrowing

Mids: hes never really used a mid correctly before, im thinking something like a comet/Roc, or Comet Buzz combo. Dont want anything too stable because hes working on form as well as rebuilding his bag.

FW's: Light DX TB, Max Champ TB, and banshee or champ FB?

DD's: Orc is a disc hes always thrown pretty well, but when he throws it FH he tries to throw an S with it and it never works for him, some due to form, some due to the disc not being that overstable.

Utility: DX TB for rollers, FB/Banshee for OH's and short midrange type duties?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: Help me build my friend a bag for his birthday

Postby Pwingles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am

any other suggestions are welcome, pretty much all brands are available somewhere in this town so brand isnt an issue, doesnt need to be all innova or all discraft etc
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Postby curt » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:55 am

If you're really trying to help him fix his form, I would suggest keeping it really simple. You're on the right track with the putters, either a BB or wiz should work great. I would say on the mid ranges to just give him the comet. It will straighten out his form quickly because it doesn't hide any imperfections at all. If he's throwing 320ish as max D, I'd also suggest keeping the fairway drivers simple. Something along the lines of a few lighter DX teebirds and then a max champ teebird should be plenty. If he's working on his form and only throwing 320, then a new, max weight, champ teebird should be plenty overstable for his super overstable slot. (And in cases where it isn't, if he uses it anyway and learns how to shape that line with it, he will gain some extremely valuable disc skills).

So, to sum it up, I'd suggest something like:

2-3x BB aviars or wizards. Two for putting practice and during the round and one for driving
1 x Comet. Just stick with the one midrange for now. When he can make this fly straight, turnover, and hyzer, add something like a buzz or roc (if you go rock route, drop the comet and wear in rocs)
2x DX teebirds* in the 168ish range for control/distance duties
1 champ teebird max weight (star would also work just fine) for anything the DX birds can't handle

Feel free to insert leopard, stalker, cyclone, gazelle into this slot. They're slower and may actually work better for him. If you do so, then a banshee may be appropriate for the last slot.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Pwingles » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 am

That makes sense, I think he'll prefer to have a FB or Banshee type disc for FH skips and things like that, but If i can get him to be patient with with the slower less stable discs it will be to his benefit in the long run. Then maybe he can step up to a PD, Orc or Wraith next spring and hit 400 on a laser.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion