Need Some Bag Advice

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need Some Bag Advice

Postby dstain19 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 am

I need some advice for specific shots particularly mids and putters. I throw rhbh primarily and consistently reach 350 and max around 380. Depending on the course I throw a fair amount of flicks as well.

Distance Drivers

Champ Orc - Main distance, predictable fade, rarely if ever turn it over

Beat Champ Valk - Big anny lines, hyzer flip disc

Fairway Drivers

11x El's - main drivers, straight shots, hyzers, turnovers

11x Champ teebird - very overstable for me, main flick discs for hyzers and s shots, big hyzers for backhand shots

MIds

3 Z Buzz's - One fairly stable for flicks, straight backhand shots

Putters

Pro Rhyno's - All putting duties, and all approaches. Can throw very straight with little fade.

What I Need Help With

Looking for a midrange and fairway driver that is easier to throw an s shot with. My eagles and buzz's tend to fly straight and hold lines. Good for most shots but feel I am missing something here. Also a more stable mid to put more into a flick shot. Wasp, Drone, ???

Looking for a putter, or putters to compliment the rhyno. I would like something that I would not have to put so much effort into to fly straight so more of a touch disc, a putter that will hold a good anny line, and something that I could throw an s shot with. Again the rhyno seems to hold lines to well.

Looking for a possible compliment to the orc for distance lines. My orc I need to put everything I have into it for a good flight. Would like to be able to power down a little bit, but still feel like I can get it out there on a fairly straight line with predictable fade. Possibly something a hair less stable than the orc.

Hopefully all of this is clear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dstain19
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beast

Re: Need Some Bag Advice

Postby Pwingles » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:46 pm

dstain19 wrote:I need some advice for specific shots particularly mids and putters. I throw rhbh primarily and consistently reach 350 and max around 380. Depending on the course I throw a fair amount of flicks as well.

Distance Drivers

Champ Orc - Main distance, predictable fade, rarely if ever turn it over

Beat Champ Valk - Big anny lines, hyzer flip disc

Fairway Drivers

11x El's - main drivers, straight shots, hyzers, turnovers

11x Champ teebird - very overstable for me, main flick discs for hyzers and s shots, big hyzers for backhand shots

MIds

3 Z Buzz's - One fairly stable for flicks, straight backhand shots

Putters

Pro Rhyno's - All putting duties, and all approaches. Can throw very straight with little fade.

What I Need Help With

Looking for a midrange and fairway driver that is easier to throw an s shot with. My eagles and buzz's tend to fly straight and hold lines. Good for most shots but feel I am missing something here. Also a more stable mid to put more into a flick shot. Wasp, Drone, ???
What distances are you trying to accomplish an S shot with that an Eagle wont get it done? Are you flicking or RHBH for these shots? Also, flicking a mid is tricky you dont really want overstable for this just touch, if youre trying to go farther just get a slower overstable FWD IMO
Looking for a putter, or putters to compliment the rhyno. I would like something that I would not have to put so much effort into to fly straight so more of a touch disc, a putter that will hold a good anny line, and something that I could throw an s shot with. Again the rhyno seems to hold lines to well.
Magics are a good disc for annys and will hold a line well if not overpowered, as far as the "s" shots go, maybe a wizard prolly in the stiff E plastic but they suck for anything putting related, im not sure you can get an "s" shot out of a putter on any reasonable line youd take with a putter, unless your talking about just flexing it out a bit and letting it come back flat?
Looking for a possible compliment to the orc for distance lines. My orc I need to put everything I have into it for a good flight. Would like to be able to power down a little bit, but still feel like I can get it out there on a fairly straight line with predictable fade. Possibly something a hair less stable than the orc.
Beast? Lighter Orc? a pretty light Pro Wraith? I use a DX TB or a P PD for this type of shot, open is best cuz they hyzer flip really well, but they can be put on a frozen rope if you are good at that shot.
Hopefully all of this is clear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Earl » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 pm

dstain19 wrote:Looking for a midrange and fairway driver that is easier to throw an s shot with. My eagles and buzz's tend to fly straight and hold lines. Good for most shots but feel I am missing something here. Also a more stable mid to put more into a flick shot. Wasp, Drone, ???

For a fairway driver that likes to fly in an "S" pattern, there is none better than the Cyclone. The Cyclone (I would recommend either X or ESP) can be thrown from hyzer, flipped to flat, then turnover, then fade at the end. This disc is soooo versatile...one you learn the speed and lines, this disc will dance and twist in between the trees on its way to the basket. This disc gets great glide, too...watching a Cyclone fly is why disc golf is so much fun!

A midrange "S" disc? You might try getting an X or D Buzzz and beating the snot out of it. For my understable mid I throw a Z and X Comet. The Comet is just as much fun to throw as a Cyclone, but once it flips over, it holds that line all the way to the ground. Most people here at DGR would have no problems recommending the Comet, but I'm not sure it would be considered an S-disc.

For your overstable mid, I would recommend either the Drone (D or Z plastic) or the Q Sentinel.

In my experience, there is not a noticeable increase in stability between the Wasp and Buzzz. I used a Z Wasp for awhile, and I felt that my Z Wasp and Z Buzzz were too similar to one another to warrant carrying both. I stuck with the Buzzz and dropped the Wasp.

A Drone, however, is noticeably more stable than a Buzzz, and is an excellent flick midrange. When I flick my Z Drone it starts out dead nuts straight, then flares hard and skips as it loses speed. The inside rim is deeper than a Buzzz, but not uncomfortably so. If you like how a Buzzz feels in the hand, you will like how the Drone feels. The Drone, however, does not get the same distance as a Buzzz, and there has been some speculation here at DGR about whether or not Discraft plans to discontinue this mold. Some people feel that Discraft, because they are having trouble keeping the weight down in this mold, might discontinue the Drone in favor of the new 2010 Ace Race disc.

Another option might be the Q Sentinel. The Q Sentinel doesn't have quite as much fade as the Drone, but it is still beefy, and gets the same distance as a Buzzz. This disc has great glide for such a beefy midrange, and is PDGA legal up to 180 grams, so a max weight Q Sentinel would be beefy for life. The only thing I don't like about this disc is the feel of the rim. To me it feels strange in my hand, BH or FH. But you may decide you like it...

There are several putters out there that would be pretty good. If you like Innova, I would try a DX Aviar PnA. You might also like the Discraft Magnet or the Gateway Warlock. All of these putters are dead straight when new with just a touch of fade. When these break in, the fade is completely gone and you have a sweet turnover putter. One putter I'm interested in trying is the Discraft APX. Click on the link below and watch what this putter can do in the hands of a pro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqQ3hUA-js

Your best bet might be to keep throwing the Orc until it breaks in more. I used to throw Champion Orcs and they were stable for me when new, but after 6 months of heavy use they had lost quite a bit of high speed stability. When my Orcs broke in they weren't very good on windy days, but on calm days they were long, accurate, and I didn't feel like I had to put everything I had into each throw. Star Orcs start out more stable than the Champion Orcs do, but they do beat in a lot quicker.

But, if you want a new disc a touch less stable than the Orc, you might try an Innova Beast. The stability of a Beast will be right in between your Valkyrie and your Orc. For me the Beast flies just like a Valkyrie with more fade at the end of its flight. If it takes you 100% power to get the Orc up to its cruising speed, the Beast will fly the same at 80-90% the power that you throw the Orc with. Another possibility might be the Discraft Flash. This disc is nearly identical to the Orc, but is a little easier to throw for the most part. Unfortunately, the Flash I hear is inconsistent from run to run, so it might be better or even worse than the Orc you are currently using.

Hope this helps.
:)
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 pm

What weight and wear is your Orc? I threw some champs and didn't care for them, but my 171 star Orc flew a nice S for me and felt very controllable, I didn't feel like I had to give it my all to get a proper flight from it. You could try that, or step down a bit in speed to something else.

For a rhyno compliment I would highly suggest the Gateway Magic. It's a great touch putter that will hold any line you need, and can be thrown with little power and glide out quite a ways. Magic + Rhyno would be a great short range combo.

For S curve shots with a midrange, your best bet is probably to take something slightly overstable like a new rancho roc or a wasp, and give it a touch of anhyzers when you throw. I don't know of many midranges that can do a flat release S curve with consistency. You can make something like a Panther or Element S curve but it's going to be quite touchy.

For S curve drivers, an Eagle X, Cyclone, Gazelle, Leopard, Cheetah and many others in this class can do the job.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion