This is my bag. Please critique!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

This is my bag. Please critique!

Postby Turbine712 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 am

Hey all, I am posting my bag for you to help me make a good all round system for me.
I have been playing DG for years however this year I have really wanted to get into this a bit more serious than just farting around.
I am 57yrs old and have 2 knee replacements. I have just started to incorporate an X-step into my routine.
Here is whats in my bag:
1- PD Beast-148g
1- Ch. Orc- 167g
1- Ch. Monarch- 162g
1- ESP Buzz- 165g
1-KC TBird- 168g
1- PD Cobra- 147g
1- PD Leopard- 150g
1-Ch. Coyote- 175g
1- Classic Roc- 165g
1- ProR Aviar P&A- 166g
1- Wizard SSS- 175g

I have found that a Bonopane grip is the most reliable grip for me to keep the nose down.
I am a RHBH thrower.
Any advice from the ground up.

The Beast, Monarch and Leopard are my longest drivers ( with X-Step just broke 300', without X-
Step 225-250'). The Ch Orc and the Ch TB are my least used and least favorable discs I throw. Both hyzer out big time when I drive them.
I have noticed that the lighter in gram weight I use the more control and glide I have.
Please check this out and give me some ideas of discs that could possibbly get my drives a little longer. I know that my technique is something I need to really work on, but if there are any other discs I should be looking at let me know. If the bag is in decent shape I would like to begin to double up on some. (what should I double up on?)
I also need to get a decent bag. Right now I have converted a Cordura fishing bag that works but the zipper top seems to open up enough that my discs keep falling out.
So... if you can, help an old duffer out with his bag. :shock:
LOL not that bag you pervs my DG bag.
Last edited by Turbine712 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbine712
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cyclone

Re: This is my bag. Please critique!

Postby mattw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:25 pm

pm sent
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Turbine712 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for the PM.
I am a RHBH thrower.
Any advice from the ground up will be very beneficial.
Thanks,
Turbine
Turbine712
Noob

Postby mattw » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:10 pm

Based on your current distance I would recomend setting aside the distance drivers for the time being (Beast,Orc,Monarch). You stated that the Teebird pulls left on you that could be OAT with the release or you might just need something at you current power level that is a little easier to get up to speed. I would recomend one of the following for a fairway driver.

From Innova Gazelle,Cheetah and Leopard
Discraft Esp or X Cyclone, ESP X or Z XL
Millenium Q or M JLS, M Polaris

For your mids thier is some overlap. The Coyote and the Buzzz are very similiar discs. I would pick one and stick with it so you get to know the disc realy well. Cobra is a nice disc as well but you can pull of the same shots with the Buzzz and Coyote. You could use the Classic Roc for approaches and shorter mid shots.

You can carry more than one puttermold if you want to. The Aviar is less stable than the Wizard so the two will work together. The Wizard is great for drives and shots you want to put some muscle behind it. The Aviar P&A can be finessed a little easier. You might find quicker improvement though if you pick one putter. I am more partial to the Wizard its a great putter and is easier to use off the tee than the Aviar. I am sure some will disagree.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Turbine712 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 am

Thanks for the feedback Matt. I do have several questions.
I know that I should put the big drivers down and concentrate on throw something more on my power level however those are the discs I get the most distance from.
I watched a video by DF and KC and DF recommended that new throwers should be looking at under-stable discs. I know that some of the discs your recommending are slightly over-stable. Could you talk a bit on your reasoning behind this.
Most of the discs I have chosen are Under-stable to give me more of a straight level flight. And then I can see what it is with my throw that I need to work on.
I also know that I have some overlap in the Buzz and Coyote. I did that just to see how they both performed and I will remove one sooner or later.
Anyways, Thanks for the info.
Turbine
Turbine712
Noob

Postby mattw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:26 am

Turbine712 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Matt. I do have several questions.
I know that I should put the big drivers down and concentrate on throw something more on my power level however those are the discs I get the most distance from.

This could be a release issue that some people have. What happens is that you torq the disc over with a anyhzer release but since the disc is more stable it fights back giving you a little more distance due to the glide on some of those distance drivers. I have not seen you throw so this is just an educated guess. You will see guys use discs like the wraith, Boss and Nuke where the disc flips wide right and then pull back to the left putting them further down the fairway. Problem is that is not the recomended flight pattern for those discs. With a big arm they should have a subtle pull to the right and then a predictable fade at the end of its flight path. Not a hard left turn on the way down.

I watched a video by DF and KC and DF recommended that new throwers should be looking at under-stable discs. I know that some of the discs your recommending are slightly over-stable. Could you talk a bit on your reasoning behind this.Most of the discs I have chosen are Under-stable to give me more of a straight level flight. And then I can see what it is with my throw that I need to work on.

The drivers I listed can reach thier optimal cruising speed based on the driver distance you listed. They also are discs that you can grow with. The two best ones in my opinion being Cyclone and Gazelle as they work on multiple lines. They are a little more stable than the Leopard and Cheetah. If the Cyclone and Gazelle look a little more stable than what you want at the moment pick up a Cheetah or a Polaris and try those. I missed your Leopard on your list as a favorite if its working for you stick with it. You could pick up Leopard in other plastics or wieghts for additional stability.

I also know that I have some overlap in the Buzz and Coyote. I did that just to see how they both performed and I will remove one sooner or later.

Mids are awsome and thier are a lot to choose from. For me its the most enjoyable disc to throw. You might find that playing some mid and putter only rounds will help you achieve more distance with your drivers as well. No one wants to play putter only rounds all the time but occasionally its worth it just to work on the little things.

Anyways, Thanks for the info.
Turbine
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Turbine712 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Ok Matt, I'm going this weekend and picking up a Cyclone and a Gazelle. You mentioned different weights, WHY?
I have found that the lighter weights give me more glide and are easier to throw. As you stated about throwing mids, I enjoy them also. I hope that next year I can get out more and try these bad boys out.
Thanks for all you help.
Turbine
Turbine712
Noob

Postby mattw » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Cyclones and Gazelles have similiar flight patterns and behaviors. You could just pick one to start with. Different kinds of plastic and weights affect the way a disc flies. If you use Innova as an example Champion is the most stable plastic then Star then Pro Then DX. You can also use weight to affect stability. The heavier the disc the more stable the flight pattern depending on arm strength. My max distance with fairway drivers is a little over 300 feet. So my power is not that great. It allows me to use different weights to achieve more or less stable flights while using the same disc. I can use a driver that ways 165 for straight shots and one at 175 if I want more fade at the end of the flight. Stronger players will use heavier discs and then beat them in to acheave the flights they are looking for. I will say this though I am not a fan of Discrafts Pro D when it comes to drivers as it does not hold up well. Innovas DX holds up better and for some molds like the Gazelle half the fun is beating in disc becouse it gets longer and easier to work. You can carry multiples of the same mold in different levels of beatness to achieve different flight patterns including rollers. Gazelles come in DX. You can order special CFR Gazelles online in Champion but I would start with DX. Cyclones I would recomend EliteX and ESP. I hope this kind of explains what I met but if you have more questions please let me know.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Turbine712 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 am

Well I picked up a ESP Cyclone (165g) this weekend and will be testing it out in the field this week. I really like the feel of it and will post the results soon.
Now, to the topic of different weights. I know that the heavier the disc the more stable it is, however I found that the heavier the disc the more difficulty I have throwing it and getting any distance. Is it just me? Or does a few grams make that much of a difference? I find it hard to grasp the concept that 2-4 grams either way will result in such dramatic swings.
Anyways, thanks Matt.
Turbine
Turbine712
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion