Beginner looking for new discs

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Beginner looking for new discs

Postby Mads3 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello there.
I started playing disc golf about 2 months ago and got completely addicted after getting my first ace 2 weeks ago. Since I need some wishes for my upcoming birthday I thought I'd put some disc golf equipment on my wish list - so now the question is: What discs and equipment would be a reasonable choice for me?
I have an average drive of somewhere between 200-250 feet and the following equipment:
Innova Star Sidewinder 175 g
Innova Star Roc 176 g
Innova Rubber Wood Aviar 175 g

I don't have any dedicated bag.
Mads3
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Re: Beginner looking for new discs

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Whoa, an ace that soon? Grats! To start you off properly you should ask for a stack of putters (4-5 or so) in a mold you like (in your case the Aviar sounds good). Good for putting and distance practice.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mads3 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 am

That's a nice suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. But I'm not so sure if I like my Aviar all that much. I think it has a little too much fade when I putt so I personally prefer it for approaches more than putts. But then again, it could be my putting technique that's causing the problem.
However I thought of getting a fairway driver - I tried a Leopard once which I liked. And maybe a roller disc, I don't know - I haven't got all that much experience using roller shots.
I thought of putting a bag on as well - the Innova standard perhaps? I would like it to have space for a fairly large water bottle and some lunch as well, but still be lightweight and not larger than needed.
Mads3
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sidewinder

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:21 am

Mads3 wrote:That's a nice suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. But I'm not so sure if I like my Aviar all that much. I think it has a little too much fade when I putt so I personally prefer it for approaches more than putts. But then again, it could be my putting technique that's causing the problem.
However I thought of getting a fairway driver - I tried a Leopard once which I liked. And maybe a roller disc, I don't know - I haven't got all that much experience using roller shots.
I thought of putting a bag on as well - the Innova standard perhaps? I would like it to have space for a fairly large water bottle and some lunch as well, but still be lightweight and not larger than needed.

Discs will come and go. Whatever you like best today may not be what you like next year. But a good bag will last for years and years.

If you are truly addicted then get a big bag (I like the Revolution Carolina with dual straps). You will fill it up soon enough. You cannot make a small bag carry more but you can use a big bag without cramming it full. And a big bag weighs very little by itself.

Bags are not just for carrying discs. With unpredictable weather you will want to be able to add or subtract layers. You can't fit gloves and a sweatshirt in a small bag. And what happens if you get really thirsty? :lol:

If I was going to pick 3 discs for a beginner, they would be a Z Buzzz, a Z XL and whatever putter felt best to them (I like Rattlers and Magnets but putters are about feel first, not flight). If Mads3 wants a straight flying putter then the Rattler is exactly that.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion