My attempt at a minimalistic bag. Please help.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My attempt at a minimalistic bag. Please help.

Postby zepphead33 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Ok, so I have reached the conclusion that I want to have a bag with only a few different molds.
So critique me, talk shit about my bag, do anything that will help me have a better bag and game.
I really want to improve my putting so please comment on that.OK, here we go. Oh yeah i throw mostly RHBH but i want to improve my FH.

Drivers
Star Sidewinder 163g Have not been using recently and have been considering getting rid of it.
Champ Roadrunner 166g Use it when I need straight and distance. Probably throw around 280' max
Star Orc 171g Long distance version of my Roadrunner. Also for hyzer drives. Over 300'
FLX Surge 173g Not sure yet, but so far I have not liked it. Any suggestions for uses?

Fairway Drivers More comfortable with fairway drivers over Distance Driver, so i want to have more of them. Suggestions please.

Star Eagle 170g Great disc. Definite keeper. Accuracy.
Champion Leopard ? I used to have one and loved it, lost it, and have not replaced,but I will

Mid Range
FLX Buzzz 167g Love it, will either stick with just it and buy several, or add one more to complement it. Suggestions for discs to complement it please.

Putters I have been swapping around a lot. I am about to try the Omega Supersoft and i think i will be sticking to it.

Soft Magnet Idk weight. it is beat to hell and i am just using until i buy my Omegas.

Thanks in advance for any responses, i appreciate your help.
Disc Golf (n)- A hidden gem in the world of sports even the gimps with the limps can play.
zepphead33
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: My attempt at a minimalistic bag. Please help.

Postby victorb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:37 am

How far do you throw, ie farthest controllable distance? That would be a key point in helping with your bag.

From what information you have provided, I'd go with something like this:

No distance drivers. If what you have listed is accurate, you'll be better off using slower drivers for distance until you improve your power.

Keep the Eagle. Use it for a slightly overstable fairway. Toss in a couple of dx gazelles or cyclones as your primary drivers. You will probably be pleasantly surprised how far you can throw them controllably. Once you get a beat version of one of those, it probably will be your understable driver. Add in a high 160's dx banshee for headwind drives. Once that gets flippy, add a high 160's champion banshee to make sure you can finish left. Buzzz is fine for a mid, if you're looking for an understable compliment I'd add a L64 Fuse. As for putters, just pick one and stick with it. Just make sure it's comfortable in your hand.

Summary should look like this:
170 Star Eagle - a little more stability than a gazelle or cyclone at your range
2 170ish DX Gazelle or X Cyclone- start a wear cycle on one and keep the other fresh
175ish Pro Leopard - until you get a gazelle beat in
168ish DX Banshee

x2 170-175 FLX Buzzz - again, wear cycle
170-175 Opto Fuse

2-3 of your fav putter

should be a good place to start.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby keltik » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:19 am

If you are throwing a RoadRunner 280 max you need to put it and the rest of your discs that don't say putter in the closet for a while.

as far as your putting putter that is a matter of taste/feel/putting style. putt with whatever you like. now for your new driving putter (yes people drive with putters...it's the bees knees) you will need something stiff and "stable" I recommend a stiff Magnet, since you already have experience with one, or a Challenger/BB Aviar/Wizard (all stiff/hard). I would honestly suggest you play for a while with just a bevy of putters until you can throw a shaped shot out to 250+/- with a Putter. then you can add in Mids.

when you graduate to Mids I suggest starting with a Fuse or a Comet. Buzzz is also nice and so is a Shark. Play with just Mids and Putters until you can throw a shaped drive to 300+/- with a Mid.

When you graduate to Drivers an Eagle-X/Leopard Combo will cover just about anything you will face. The faster stuff you just have to experiment with. but I don't advise experimentation just yet.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zepphead33 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:53 pm

keltik wrote:If you are throwing a RoadRunner 280 max you need to put it and the rest of your discs that don't say putter in the closet for a while.

I am sorry for the false info, I can probably get my Roadrunner somewhere in the 330' range with a good throw. But on an average throw probably about 300'.
Disc Golf (n)- A hidden gem in the world of sports even the gimps with the limps can play.
zepphead33
Noob

Postby zepphead33 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:56 pm

I can get my Star Orc up to 340-350' feet on a really good throw. But about 330' for max controllable distance.
zepphead33
Noob

Postby victorb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 am

zepphead33 wrote:I can get my Star Orc up to 340-350' feet on a really good throw. But about 330' for max controllable distance.

I'd still recommend the same thing. Once you start pushing fairway drivers like TeeBirds or Eagles out to the 350' range, then you're really ready for the step up to higher speed drivers like the orc.

I usually always recommend a progression like that just because it keeps bad habits like torquing discs over when a player doesn't actually have the power for it yet.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby slowarm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 am

Minimalism? RR and SW, aren't they then a bit overlapping?

Take two distance/fairway drivers. Eagle for wind, FH and fade drives, RR (or an other understable) for straight drives. Take one or two mids, Buzzz is good. Take one putter (or lots of them if you go out learning to putt). Use the mids and putter as much as possible.

There you have it, 4-5 discs to beginn with. Then you can start to fill the missing parts...

And if you don't want to carry a bag at all: Just take Buzzz and putter. Or get a putter that can handle drives and go play around with it. (If I'd start the game now, that's what I'd do...)
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 am

zepphead33 wrote:
keltik wrote:If you are throwing a RoadRunner 280 max you need to put it and the rest of your discs that don't say putter in the closet for a while.

I am sorry for the false info, I can probably get my Roadrunner somewhere in the 330' range with a good throw. But on an average throw probably about 300'.

I stand by my original statement.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zepphead33 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I am doing just terrible on providing good info. It turns out the hole I have been basing my distance off of is 375' feet long, not 330' like i previously thought. So i can get my Roadrunner up to 350-375' range, and my orc around 400'.
zepphead33
Noob

Postby victorb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:09 am

zepphead33 wrote:I am doing just terrible on providing good info. It turns out the hole I have been basing my distance off of is 375' feet long, not 330' like i previously thought. So i can get my Roadrunner up to 350-375' range, and my orc around 400'.

really, if you're going to keep upping your distances to the ranges we're discussing, you might as well go ahead and throw what you want. true 400'+ throwers are very uncommon, and don't mistake their distances by 100'.

Now, if you're being truthful, you already should know what discs work for you, and what discs overlap in your bag. The flight paths you describe getting don't sync up with a 400' thrower.

edit: with that being said, I STILL recommend the bag I posted earlier...once you can push eagles out consistently and accurately to 350', then you're ready to move up to the big boy drivers. Learning correctly is and always will be the best option.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Booter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 am

throw what you want.u obviously aren't paying attention to what keltik and victorb are suggesting. If it's not what you want to hear and are hoping they tell you what you want to hear by upping ur distance. Dnt post for help.

me thinx uz gewd fore dgcr *thumbs up*
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 am

I doubt you are actually throwing any more than 325. If you were you would not be throwing sidewinders and roadrunners. anyone throwing over 325 would be turning those discs extremely hard right. Don't worry, thats not a bad thing. Your average person on a course isnt throwing farther then that.

First off get rid of the road runner. Its the same thing as the sidewinder and most people seem to like the sidewinder.

I think you should have a bag like this: (all 170-172 weight.)(all champion/Z or Star/ESP)

Sidewinder (your use to this type of disc)
Surge SS (faster disc for long drives and working on power)
Eagle (stable good fairway driver)

FLX Buzzz (great disc)
Z Buzzz (will be pretty stable for you and turn left)
Meteor or Coyote (a midrange version of a sidewinder)

2-3 of whatever putter you use

you dont need more then a couple drivers, a mid or two, and your putter.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:08 am

oh btw.. my overall best advice is to go to a field and throw every disc you have from one end to the other for 45minutes. This will help you get better at throwing and teach you what each disc does. Before you start doing this talk to a local pro or advanced player and have them show you form. Or go online and watch some videos. I personally like the Dan Beto throwing video and throw very similar to that.

Also sit and putt for 20-30 minutes everytime before you play a round. Use 2-4 of the same putter for this.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby zepphead33 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:42 pm

I am sorry for changing my distances.
I was off by 50' on the distance of the hole.
Please dont keep this thread going, just let it die, sorry for the terrible info.
zepphead33
Noob

Postby biodarwin » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:23 am

A buzzz and a beer wrote:I doubt you are actually throwing any more than 325. If you were you would not be throwing sidewinders and roadrunners.

This is not really true at all.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion