My Addiction

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My Addiction

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:49 am

Hi, my name is Steve and I have been playing disc golf for a little over a year now...

The one thing that held me back all year was trying to put together a perfect bag. I kept changing out discs and never really got comfortable with anything. This will be where I iron out my bag issues and have DGR help keep me accountable. I will start by commiting to what I have chosen until there is a need to change it. I want to start off with a small handful of discs and try to really learn them. I want to make sure that every shot is covered as well and I have tried to do so. Please let me know what you think.

I throw mainly RHBH but want to learn FH as well

Putters:
173 S Wizard - main putter
168 SS Wizard - long putts and approaches

Mids:
172 Star Gator - way overstable for spike hyzers, FH and wind
175 CE QMS - new and workable
176 CE QMS - beat and great for annys and right to left wind
177 Aurora MS - new and workable

Drivers:
174 CE QJLS - main stable driver
173 CE QJLS - slightly less stable driver
175 Q-Polaris LS - overstable driver for FH and wind
169 Q Orion LS - understable distance
170 Star Destroyer - overstable distance

My goal is to work with the Wizards, QMS and QJLS for most every shot. For casual rounds I will only take these three discs with me to make sure I work with them.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Re: My Addiction

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:12 am

Unless you procured a healthy stack of backups for your CE plastic it is going to be a little counter productive to get that comfortable with if you have to switch to reg Q later. You might as well just start with the reg Q. That said, it won't really be to different to switch to Q, as disc to disc there are differences anyway, and every time you rotate a new disc in it takes a little learning curve (less and less the more you rotate in).
The only thing I see your bag missing is an overstable workhorse. I don't believe a QPLS is actually overstable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:Unless you procured a healthy stack of backups for your CE plastic it is going to be a little counter productive to get that comfortable with if you have to switch to reg Q later. You might as well just start with the reg Q. That said, it won't really be to different to switch to Q, as disc to disc there are differences anyway, and every time you rotate a new disc in it takes a little learning curve (less and less the more you rotate in).
The only thing I see your bag missing is an overstable workhorse. I don't believe a QPLS is actually overstable.

The regular Q throws way different and I will probably switch to the Fuse when all 14 of my CE QMS have been lost. The beat in QMS was one I bought from PIAS and it was already beat. It has been one of my favorite discs I have thrown over the last year. I have the Aurora MS in there to work through the stages and use for danger shots. The new QMS is for tee shots and to start working in. The new one throws just about like the beat one but with a touch more hss and lss. Does anyone else use the QMS for their main mid?

Have you thrown a max weight QPLS? New they fade immediatly out of my hand. The one in my bag has been thrown into an Oak stump point blank for 45 minutes so that it goes straight before it fades hard. Into a headwind it turns a little before fading. If it doesn't stand up I can put in an EXP-1 but the QPLS is very similar in the hand to the QJLS. I think it is the same wing with a different top. I haven't thought about what I will switch to after the QJs are gone but I have about 10 of them from new to beat.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby what'shisname » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:36 pm

Steve wrote:Hi, my name is Steve and I have been playing disc golf for a little over a year now...

Steve wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:Unless you procured a healthy stack of backups for your CE plastic it is going to be a little counter productive to get that comfortable with if you have to switch to reg Q later.

The regular Q throws way different and I will probably switch to the Fuse when all 14 of my CE QMS have been lost.

:shock:

Damn, you got bit by the disc whoring bug HARD.

I don't have any experience with your mid choices or the LS, but the putter slot and the JLS are both great. How far are you throwing?
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 pm

what'shisname wrote:Damn, you got bit by the disc whoring bug HARD.

Most of it was being in the right place at the right time. Older Millennium is easy to cherry-pick.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 pm

Putters:
172 Glow Wizard - main putter
168 SS Wizard - long putts and approaches

Mids:
172 Star Gator - way overstable for spike hyzers, FH and wind
175 CE QMS - new and workable
176 CE QMS - beat and great for annys and right to left wind
178 Z Buzzz - Domey and slower than the Glo Buzzz
180 Glo Buzzz - Faster slightly overstable mid

Drivers:
173 Glow Champ Eagle L - Stable fairway
174 Exp-1 1.7 - Overstable fairway
167 S-PD - Anything longer than the Eagle and shorter than the Nuke
170 Z Nuke - Understable and hyzer flip big d

I am going to try and work with this for a little while and see how I do. I have a tournament this Sat. and the course is real tight and narrow (Big Creek)
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Keep that Nuke in the bag while playing Big Creek. You don't need anything like a nuke out at the crack. It's all about control out there.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

I was going to try and reach around the left side on hole 8 with it. That was all.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:38 pm

Putters:
172 Glow Wizard
174 Classic Roc

Mids:
167 CE QMS
167 Q Sent
172 Star Gator

Fairway Drivers:
168 Q Polaris
168 QJLS
174 EXP 1

Distance:
169 Q Orion LS
170 Z Nuke
170 Star Destroyer

I don't think I left any holes in the bag with this setup. Let me know if you think I missed anything.

My goal is to work with lighter weight discs and try to work on my form. The heavy weight stuff is for playing in the wind.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion