Jim's 2011 bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jim's 2011 bag

Postby JimW » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:59 pm

After being in a serious funk lately I went all minimal again and eliminated the extra stabilities of molds I was carrying and have been playing very well the last times out. -2, -2, and -3 for my last three rounds at Taylor (personal best is -4 three different times). Probably the bigger factor has been that at the beginning of the week I did a short field session to work out the kinks that had crept into my driving but I do enjoy the ease of disc selection with a smaller number of discs and like the way it forces me to be better about release angles and such.

Opto XXX
S PD
P PD
DX Gazelle
X Buzzz
Zero Pure
SS Wizard (putting)

The S PD is fresh and overstable for me (but capable of holding a straight line a fair ways) but the P PD, Gazelle, Buzzz, and Pure are all pretty much neutral stability, able to hold any line and work well into at least light wind. I do carry a more stable Gazelle and Buzzz on windier days but I've tried to avoid using them unless truly necessary.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Re: Jim's 2011 bag

Postby JimW » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 pm

I got tired of switching out discs for different courses and sometimes leaving out a disc I kinda wanted due to lack of space so I switched back to my Fade Tourney from the Squirrel Monkey. It's also nice to be able to carry practice putters at all times instead of returning to my car after putting practice. So now I am usually carrying everything I might need out there.

XXX

Star Vulcan

2x S-PD (fresh and beat)
3x P-PD (from pretty new to quite flippy)

SJLS
MJLS
DX Gazelle (I have no flippy JLS's yet)

Z Buzzz
3x X Buzzz (new, worn, and beat)

3x Zero Pure (beat for approaches, newish for driving, and putting only)

I will probably add a Flow soon for a stable distance driver though that speed slot in general is still more of a luxury for me (PDs out to about 330' max) than any real need. The Vulcan goes farther than the PD and easier but the amount of fade on high-speed distance drivers makes it of limited use due to the local holes I might use it on. I may buy a stable putter like a Zone or Rhyno soon too.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:43 pm

After several months of not really buyings discs at all I've been buying more lately and so my previously steady bag is often changing. Here's what I have in there this very moment.

Opto XXX

2x GL Flow (one domey, one flatter)

S-PD (fresh)
3x P-PD

There was a Star Eagle in this spot until I chucked it in a lake yesterday. Gonna just rotate some DX for now and get another Star if I decide to stick with Eagles
DX Eagle
2x MJLS

Z Hornet
Glo Z Buzzz
3x X Buzzz

DX Rhyno
Grip Pure
2x Zero Pure

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Put the Flows on the back burner for now, they were certainly working out better than the Vulcan but they still felt like a kinda pointless addition for the distance I'm at right now. Yes they could go a bit farther than PDs reliably but not so much that it was likely to card me additional birdies or easier pars except very occasionally and the consistency of form to get them right is not there for me yet. I don't throw hard enough to have them not be touchy. Plus the TD works quite well in a distance role for more wide open holes anyway.

I find myself drifting away from minimalism some but I feel like I'm at a point where that's not a bad thing. Stricter adherence to the philosophy has absolutely helped me and the basic points of it are something I continue to abide by but I'm to the level where I feel that branching out some can benefit my game a bit. I'm at nine molds currently due to having no beat Eagles yet but the real intent of the bag is eight molds and I'm quite alright with that especially since three of them (XXX, Hornet, and Rhyno) are specialty molds for overstable duties.

Opto XXX

2x C-TD (one lower PLH than the other)
S-PD (fresh)
3x P-PD (varying stages)

2x DX Eagle-X
2x MJLS

Z Hornet
Glo Z Buzzz
Z Buzzz SS
2x X Buzzz

DX Rhyno
Grip Pure
2x Zero Pure

A stripped down bag would probably be:

XXX
C-TD
S-PD
2x P-PD
Eagle-X
MJLS
Hornet
Buzzz SS
X Buzzz
Grip Pure
Zero Pure

Super stripped down:

XXX
C-TD (the less stable one)
Eagle-X
Buzzz SS
Grip Pure

Of course yesterday I took the less stable C-TD, Buzzz SS, and Grip Pure to my home course and shot two lower than my best score there so maybe I should just use those three all the time and fuck everything else.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Of course yesterday I took the less stable C-TD, Buzzz SS, and Grip Pure to my home course and shot two lower than my best score there so maybe I should just use those three all the time and fuck everything else.[/quote]

I went out with an e saber and a hpp voodoo last week and was only 1 shot off my best score on a local course. I feel ya man!
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion