Critique my bag please...help out a newb!!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique my bag please...help out a newb!!

Postby Dirty Birdie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:46 pm

My Bag
Im still a newb, so I have a lot im trying out, still getting the hang of it, I am very dedicated though and try to practice everyday if not in the field, then with videos or forums. Let me know what you think of my bag, do I need any additions, drop any, leave out or what? My avg drive right now I would say is around 250 and im pretty consistent with my putts at 20ft and under.

Drivers:
Z Predator 169
Z Glo Nuke 169( workin on my sidearm throw and like the wide rim)
Star Beast 164(just got it haven’t tried it out yet.)
Star Firebid 168
DGA Rogue 170(feels the best in my hand right now)
X XS 173
Opto River 170(trying it out as my turnover/anhyzer disc)
Opto Striker 172(still trying this one out too)
Z XL 170( my first favorite disc, can throw it primarily straight)

Fairways:
Star Teebird 169(haven’t tried it out yet, just got it)
Champ Leopard 163( haven’t had it long but have good accuracy with it)
Star TL 165( My favorite Fairway)

Mids:
Kc pro Roc 172( My go to right now)
Z Wasp 177(big Hyzer mid)
Buzz SS 173( just got it)
Z Buzz 177( Still trying to see if it fits in my hand)
Back up Kc Roc 175

Putters:
Gateway M Wizard 172 Main Putter
Gateway SSS Wizard 170 Back-up Putter
Innova DX Aviar Putter trying it out like it so far.

In my garage:
Dx Wraith
Star Wraith
Star Destroyer
ABC Secret Weapon
Gateway Blaze
Innova Wahoo
All this shoved into a lat 64 pro bag(except the in the garage stuff)
Thanks guys!
Dirty Birdie
Noob

Favorite Disc: Lat 64 River

Re: Critique my bag please...help out a newb!!

Postby JR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 am

Considering you're new to the sport i'd limit the bag for playing rounds to two different molds tops per category. Putter, mid, fairway and distance. It's ok to test out stuff in field practice which is a must at your stage of development so you should do that a lot and it's the perfect way to stretch the legs with other molds that aren't your thoroughly known staple discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Earl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Welcome!

Hm. There are quite a few molds here.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with trying out a bunch of different molds when you are a new player. When I first started playing, I threw lots of molds, too. They are all fun to throw! :D As a beginner, I also lost a lot of discs in high weeds or in the water. It's kinda hard to become attached to a particular mold if you keep losing them! So, when I started playing disc golf, I carried as many discs as I could. Just don't spend too much money. If you can, buy used discs, or maybe borrow a few from a buddy.

At some point though, you will start to realize that some of your discs, although they each might fly a little differently, tend to fall in the same category with each other. By category I mean that, to perform a certain shot on the disc golf course, you could throw one of several different molds you have in your bag and achieve the same general result. Here is a great article by Blake explaining the general categories discs fall into and is also general guide to adhere to when selecting your molds/mold count for your bag:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

At this point you should also be asking yourself the following questions:

1.) Do I have enough molds to perform every shot? Is my overall game missing anything because I don't have a certain type of mold? (Distance, midrange, P&A, overstable, underatable, stable, etc.)

2.) Are there certain discs in my bag that I've come to rely on, that I must have in my bag before I leave the house? (Build your bag around these discs. My personal go-to discs are my Wraith and my Buzzz)

3.) Is my game too specialized? Do I have to throw a different disc for every shot? (Try to avoid this pitfall. Don't throw flat every time. Be sure and practice your hyzers/anhyzers.)

4.) Do I rely on a certain disc too much, when adding another complimentary mold might be a better choice? (For example, I love my Buzzz, but it's not a good disc on windy days. As much as I love the Buzzz, sometimes I throw a Drone.)

5.) Do I have the right discs for my home course? (Something not discussed very much. We all have one or two courses that we play all the time. I play a very long, open, windy course nearly every day, so my bag has unintentionally been built for this course. Some people may think that carrying a Firebird, a Max and an Xcaliber is too much overlap, but for my home course it's a good selection on a really windy day. My point here is to make sure your bag suits the conditions you play in on a regular basis. Floater discs are another example. I play around and throw over a lot of water on a regular basis, so I carry a floater disc.)

6.) Am I throwing this one particular disc because I like it, or am I throwing this one particular disc because everybody else likes it? (Throw what you like, don't buy the hype. Don't let other people's opinions interfere with your game.)

7.) Am I throwing the right discs for my current skill level? (This is very important. Wide-rimmed drivers are for people who throw 400'+ Although new players might be able to throw wide-rimmed drivers a little further than narrow-rimmed drivers, the wide-rimmed drivers are inadvertently teaching a new player bad form/habits [however, wide rims do feel good when throwing sidearm]. Each disc is rated for a certain speed/distance. Distance comes with good form. Every player I've ever seen crush it had an ultra-smooth, buttery release. Be smooth. 8) )

8.) Do I have some discs set aside for when I get better? (Keep those wide-rimmed drivers in the closet for now. As your distance increases, you will find that these discs will work better for you.)

There are other factors should also be considered when choosing molds for your bag.

1.) Does this mold come in a wide variety of plastic types? (The more plastic types a mold has, the better variety you will have. For instance, the XL and TL are very similar to each other, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the XL because it is offered in Pro-D, X, Z and ESP. The TL only has Star and CE.

2.) Is this mold offered in mainstream production, or is this a rare/discontinued disc? (Never build your bag with rare/discontinued discs, unless you are lucky enough to already own a dozen of them. By throwing mainstream production discs, you will save yourself a lot of headaches and a lot of sleepless nights looking on eBay for "that one, special disc you need...")

3.) Am I carrying the right weight? A discs' weight is very much a personal decision. Some people like carrying the same weight for all their discs, some people prefer different weights for different discs/disc types, and some people don't care what weight they throw. Here is how I made my decision regarding disc weight:

*Putters are 170-172g because I want them to be decent in the wind, but I also want to have them light enough to where I can snap them out of my hand quickly from a standstill position. My jump putter is lighter (165g) because I'm throwing it farther.
*Midranges are max weight 176-180g because I want them to have a consistent release from my hand and perform well in the wind.
*Fairway drivers are max weight 175g because I want them to have a consistent release from my hand and perform well in the wind.
*Distance Drivers: 165-170g for the stable/understable drivers because my main concern is generating a quick armspeed, 170-175g for the overstable drivers because my main concern is wind stability.

In all honesty, though, this post is heavily biased on my own personal opinions about the game of disc golf. Someone else on this forum can give you completely different advice than what I've written here and it would be just as good. I think the best advice anyone can give you is for you to throw what you like. Have fun. As you progress, you will form your own opinions on what's best, and your own opinion is probably the best one. This forum is a great place to be if you are serious about disc golf. Glad to have you with us, Dirty Birdie.
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby koffee » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 am

I would ask you a question first are you Backhand or forehand player or some sort of hybrid of the two. As an example I am a 70/30 BH/FH player. Out side of that I would limit some of the molds you are carrying in the driver slot. I would also recommend that you set aside some of the really overstable discs you have until you grow into them.

Drivers Over all looks good and you made some nice choices on disc purchases.
TeeBird
leopard
River
Or if you really like one of the others that are seasoned and are not super over stable use them

Mids look fine to me and you will sooner or later develope your own preference and style

Putters- Same as Mids looks good

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 am

I built my bag from the bottom up once I started getting into disc golf more. That is to say, starting with putters and midranges and then working up in distance.

Buzz/Aviar rounds at my home course helped me build confidence with putters and midranges and they expose any flaws in your throw. Learning to throw discs purely is important to do early on in your DG experience and high speed drivers mask bad technique.

Right now your bag is bloated in the driver category. If you're throwing 250' you don't really need any of those high speed drivers. The new star Teebird and even Roc will handle winds really well at that distance and probably fly straighter and farther to boot.

I'd also suggest a simplified approach for a while. Take out the drivers except maybe the Rogue and XL and see what you can do with putters, mids, and fairways. Focus on placing your shot and hitting your line as well as distance.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion