the least changed most changed bag in the world

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the least changed most changed bag in the world

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 am

I'm still puppy loving the Clutch, want to trade yours for Challengers? Pm what you have and I'll make you an offer.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby BLURR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 am

I hear ya on the 1.1's. I had a handful of the red 1.1's that I loved, but lost a couple along the way and couldn't find any to replace them with. So I sold off what was left and moved on to something different.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby victorb » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 am

destroyers might be the way for me to go with distance drivers - I feel like I'm working too hard to get the boss out to 425'. Destroyers naturally have a bit more high speed turn, right? It's been a while since I have thrown them, and never been able to compare the two side by side.

I'd most likely go with a similar setup and use 2 pro destroyers, a blizzard, and a champ glow to cover all my distance needs.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:24 am

Be sure to check your Pro Destroyers before buying. There is a good batch and a really crappy batch out there right now. The crappy batch is about as stable as a maximizer. The good one's that I have seen lately have a little pop in the top.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:14 am

Alrighty then, here we go again. Made sure to get the destroyers with the nice dome like BLURR said. Found a couple of destrulcans on the shelves, so it's a good thing I took a close look.

Distance
175 Glow Champion Destroyer
175 Echo Star Destroyer
172 Pro Destroyer
150 Blizzard Destroyer

Overstable/utility:
171 z predator, like a spirit
174 z predator, work horse overstable

Fairway drivers:
175 Star Teebird, main fairway driver
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird, lower power hyzer flips, tight turnovers
171 Champ Mamba - auditioning for the turnover driver spot. Valks were too LSS for what I was looking for to work lines. Looking for something faster than a leopard, that doesn't have a plus style rim. CTD might be the answer here?

Midrange:
176 KC Pro Roc, new
180 DX Glow Rancho Roc, new
175 DX Rancho Roc, worn
17? DX Rancho Roc, super beat

Putters:
174 cryztal challenger, hyzer approaches, forehand putter
173 d challenger, beat for versatile drives and approaches
174 d challenger x2, both really beat and only for putting
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby plex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:22 pm

you should try an Ion in place of your challenger, Vector in place of the roc, and river to compare and expand on the teebird.
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:54 am

plex wrote:you should try an Ion in place of your challenger, Vector in place of the roc, and river to compare and expand on the teebird.

nope

hate large beaded putters and the inner rim on an ion, the vector doesn't beat into a cycle disc like a roc, and the river has a plus rim and is a lot more like a leopard than a teebird.

nope

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby plex » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:47 am

what do you mean by the vector doesn't beat into a cycle disc like a roc? explain please
Destroyer, Sword, Shock, Volt, Amp, River, Gator, Vector, Axis, Ion
plex
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:50 am

they don't start as overstable as KC Rocs (from the ones I've thrown at least) and they don't beat in as fast as dx rocs.

so it would be more difficult to only carry a vector as your midrange, because they don't cover the stability spectrum that rocs can.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:44 pm

On the CTD- i think they may have too much LSS for what you're looking for, especially on softer tosses. I think the FD is more what you're looking for stability wise. I doesn't have the space of the mamba, but has lots of glide t keep it in the air.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby victorb » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 am

dgdave wrote:On the CTD- i think they may have too much LSS for what you're looking for, especially on softer tosses. I think the FD is more what you're looking for stability wise. I doesn't have the space of the mamba, but has lots of glide t keep it in the air.

I'm totally in agreement here. The CTD just doesn't seem to 'fit' in the lineup for me. I need something slower and more workable to pair with my teebirds. Most likely going to try a Jackal, but might just go back to the leopard if I don't like it. The speed of the TD makes me throw the disc harder than I want on the lines I need it for. I love throwing beat dx teebirds for big turnover shots, but would love something that flies similar and doesn't pass the sweet spot quite as fast so I don't have to replace them as often. The mamba is a good disc, but too fast and too much turn for what I was needing.

Well, after that long blurb, here's the current lineup. Played pretty decent last weekend at a C Tier though I didn't score well. Going to stick with this line up.

Distance
175 Glow Champ Destroyer - headwind distance or distance shots that must finish left
175 Echo Star Destroyer - looks like a destrulcan next to the others, holds a turn longer too. Definitely has its uses though its not a normal destroyer.
172 Pro Destroyer - max distance
150 Blizzard Champ Destroyer - big big hyzers

Fairway
171 Z Predator - the ultra beef
174 Z Predator - THE WORKHORSE
175 Glow Champ Teebird - this thing is nice and overstable, flies very similar to a new 11x KC Pro even though it's got a decent dome.
175 Star Teebird - hyzer flip to straight, or tight s-turns in the 375' range
175 DX Teebird - kind of worn, low power straight shots or hyzer to turnover
175 C TD - flies nice, just looking for something more workable. Jackal or leopard will probably replace this.

Midrange
176 KC Pro Roc
180 Glow DX Rancho Roc, new very stable
175 DX Rancho Roc - this one is getting worn in. finally past the initial stage of wear
17? DX Rancho Roc - thrashed! awesomely beat in disc, goes right pretty easily
174 Z Comet - more finesse type approaches. point and shoot

Putters - no changes here
174 cryztal challenger
173 d challenger
174 d challenger (x2)

I think I need to go read the jackal thread...I already know what a leopard can provide as I used to pair one with my teebirds. The distance I can get my rocs out to makes the leopard feel like overlap now though. A notch faster, but not as fast as the TD, would probably fit the best.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:26 am

Hit me up if you drop by our TD.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby victorb » Sun May 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Time to reset the bag, again. I have little to no confidence in my tee shots. Approaches and putting are where I'm comfortable, but I'm scrambling much more often than not simply because I'm not comfortable on the tee. Weirdly, I think it's because I'm really starting to get a good hit on my drives. Tonight, I was putting dx teebirds out past my destroyers (380-410, destroyers in the 370-390 range). I feel like I need to disc down just to feel comfortable off the tee. I have a plan, and I feel like I probably could stick with it for the season. Just need to invest in a few discs.

Here's what I have now:

Drivers
175 Star Teebird, wearing in
171 Star Teebird
175 DX Teebird, worn. hyzer flip to straight or bomb turnovers.
175 DX Teebird, new
171 Z Predator, super beef
174 Z Predator, workhorse
174 Z Predator, domey, workable. has some high speed turn when thrown flat.
175 C-TD, workable turning driver

Midrages
176 KC Pro Roc, overstable
180 Glow DX Roc, new
175 DX Roc, wearing in.
17x DX Roc, super beat

Putters
175 protege clutch, throwing only. turnovers and straight off the tee and approaches
174 cryztal challenger, hyzer approaches and stable tee shots
174 D Challenger x2, putting only

I'll probably end up throwing blizzard destroyers for distance since I can seem to handle those, at least, and the FDs to do what I would with the TD. I get to play maybe 1-2x per week and practice time is pretty limited since we're trying to move (still staying in CoMO, just working on getting a house with a basement so we can expand a little.) Stressful times, but maybe when it's over my game will come back?

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 am

You could use something faster right moving understable putter for approaches and getting out of trouble shots. If you pick a long putter like the Spike it can also cover understable mid duties. It is that long so it covers two roles in one disc. The downside to that approach is that the Spike is so fast and can skip and roll when it lands annied. Aviar P&A is good for slower flights and fast turns that don't skip as much on shorter shots and it won't roll as easily and especially not skip that much.

I don't think the Destroyers you've thrown are the problem. Do you throw the Destroyer nose up? It sounds like you do based on the great Teebird distance you have. Can you describe the flight path your Destroyer? Changing the disc won't change how you throw. Bliz 134 Destro is beefy for me at your TB power you top me so it may be good for you. For me the 134 is too much of a disc for distance. I need to throw s-curved to get it to 400' and if a do a low line drive it drops to 380'. IIRC my longest TB line drive was 370'. But i've thrown faster discs way farther. 440'+ with rear wind s-curves. Line drives with a broken in Pro Destro 169 hyzer flipped to flat fly 400' for me at best. That means that you have longer discs to choose from and fixing form should open them for your use and give you major distance increases. You need to check your nose angles and apex heights. The Destroyer line driven needs a lower apex height than the TB to go the farthest. It may be as simple as throwing the Destro lower.

The longest disc i've thrown before Blizzzard plastic is ESP 163 Nuke and now it is 155 Bliz Boss. I need to get a lighter Boss because without wind that Boss could be lighter given the flight path. Considering your better TB distance i wouldn't go lower than 155 Bliz Boss in weight for a first taste of that plastic/mold combo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby victorb » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 am

Yeah I'm considering adding a summit in for the understable putter slot. I threw them in the past with a good comfort level and had success with them. I really enjoyed throwing sidearm curl shots with them, the disc just feels made for that flight path.

I probably am throwing the heavier destroyers nose up. It seems that I can't get them turned, even on lower lines where I want a tight S-turn, definitely indicative of a nose angle issue. Pros, Stars, Destrulcans, all give me the same problems in heavier weights. I probably will get some blizzards in the 150-159 range. I don't feel too comfortable going lighter than that. The one that I do have is stable enough to handle a little wind and give a good consistent flight pattern.

I'll probably report back here in a few weeks once I get things sorted (just in time for me to not be able to play golf, because my wife has to have ACL reconstructive surgery!)

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion