building discraft bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

building discraft bag

Postby mickas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Here's what i'm thinking so far...

2 esp forces
Fairway spot open... (thinking avengers)
1 Z Predator
1 ESP Cyclone
2 Z Buzzzes
2 Comets (1esp, 1 x)
Magnets.....

Do you think i can handle all the lines/shots i need with this bag set up?

Could someone give me some info on the avenger, compare it to teebirds, eagles, pd's, solfs etc etc....
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Re: building discraft bag

Postby keltik » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:54 pm

yes that is THE DC bag.
Avengers are where it's at. they are very similar to an OLF. they have significant fade and a slightly negative HSS. the X Avenger is more like a P-PD. the X's also tend to vary a good bit based on dome and PLH.
you may also want to throw in an XL for some rolling. you may also like the Hornet to do the job of your Rocs (well some of the job).
the sorta bad thing about Discraft is that most everything is awesome in Z but that doesn't aid in mold minimalism. there are a lot of great molds in X but it gets flippy hellaquick. the Pro-D is iffy but you should have seen some of that in the Magnets.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby curt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 pm

I've spent a lot of time trying to build an all discraft bag, and basically come to something along the lines of what you've got. Personally, I don't see the need for buzzes and comets, but the two discs fly very differently and there is certainly room for both. Also, I've tried every fairway driver that discraft offers (or close to it) and there really isn't a decent one that covers all the shots. Avengers are nice, but they're pretty overstable and unless you have a really beat one, you'll have a tough time covering every shot you need with them. I second adding XLs for something a little less overstable.

I think the Avenger is a little more overstable than a teebird, close to an eagle, but, in my experience, they have more LSS, so it is more difficult to get them on a line similar to straight.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby mickas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 am

I have an esp cyclone in there to cover the shots that you are advising me to use a xl for, but aside from that i think i will give the avenger a try. On a side note the comets are like buzzes that you can use in the woods and tailwinds more easily, you don't need much power it's more finesse and they hold an anhyzer much better than the buzz.

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I have little to no knowledge of Cyclones, but I have thrown most other Discraft stuff. Check out my bag, and if you have any specific questions, give me a shout.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby CatPredator » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Avengers aren't really fairway drivers by most standards but they are good discs. They are 2-3mm wider in the rim than traditional fairway drivers (T-bird, Eagle, Gazelle, Leopard, etc.) and have a lot of LSS. I've had some Z Avengers with really really strong fade.

I would add a Challenger and a Zone for windy/forehand upshots, a Hornet for an overstable mid, and I would pull one of the ESP Forces and add a Z Nuke and Z Force. ESP Forces beat in pretty quickly. I added a Z for more stability and a Z Nuke for slightly more distance and more durable plastic. My ESP Forces are long range turnover discs now...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby mickas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I actually have z magnets to cover the overstable putter spot, and (don't tell anyone) i'm throwing sanny q sentinels as my overstable mid, as for the forces, one of them is almost predator overstable the other flies like a newish destroyer so i have the lines covered there. I'm going to pick up an avenger tomorrow, should i go z or esp?

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:51 am

I would go Z for the avenger, thats my personal preference atleast. I would also have one Surge in the bag for a wooded distance driver. I personally love the surge. It can be used for anhyzers, s curves, or just straight bombs when there isn't much wind.

I would also either carry one Esp FLx drone or atleast a Z hornet for an overstable mid slot.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby mickas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 am

at this point in time things are going well with the bag, my one problem is that the cyclones (169 esp, and 171 elite x) are seeming somewhat inconsistent, sometimes they'll turn, sometimes they won't, should i just keep working with them or have others had similar experiences with them?

P.S. i'm throwing cyclones on shots from about 310-340 that need to turn, or not fade much (it's winter so i'm throwing them not quite as far as normal)

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:55 pm

if you're using a sentinel mf then you should definitely check out the Z Hornet.
I've never really liked the ESP Avenger. not as much glide or turn. too close to a Pred.
I too have found Cyclones to be a bit weird at times. try some heavier ones ~175. they will still turn but they may be more consistent.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby mickas » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:10 pm

would the stalker work as a slow fairway driver that i can turn over etc.? or should i stick with the cyclone?

mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Cyclone or a Z XL
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I think the Z XL is the best choice for control fairway drivers. Really easy to work on any line. The Stalker may be good for you too. I don't have much experience throwing them.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion