Buzzz and the reorganization

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Buzzz and the reorganization

Postby jaboc83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:55 am

Hey all,

I'm looking to reorganize my bag to work on pushing my slower discs out a bit and solidifying my form this year. I'm hitting around 380-400 pretty consistently with a straight low shot, but that's with an X Avenger or a PD-Freak; I'd rather be using a Teebird for that distance. Also, the courses I most often play don't have many holes over 300'. This is what I'm planning to start with in the spring:

1. Distance Driver
KC 11x Champ Teebird (166)

2. Stable Control (Fairway) Drivers
2x Pro-D XL (172)
KC 11x Champ Eagle (171)

3. Understable Driver
Beat DX Teebird (169)

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
Star Teebird (168)

Mids:
2x Z Buzzz (175)
KC Pro Roc (172)

Putters:
2x DX Aviar P & A (175)

I'd love to hear any comments on my bag, but the question I'm really looking for an answer to is related to the buzzz. I'm curious how far you can push a z buzzz before it starts to flip on you? I just switched to the buzzz near the end of last season so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but I could swear I read somewhere that people were pushing them to 400' without flipping too bad, but I couldn't find the post when I went looking for it again; I probably just dreamt it. Can't wait for the longer daylight and warm weather so I can get back out there and start season #2 :)

- Jake
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Buzzz and the reorganization

Postby JR » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:55 am

I don't throw the Buzzz as far as the top players do. If you can see Clash Blue Ribbon Pines you can see Cale Leiviska ripping a huge shot with a Buzzz. I don't recall if it had initial hyzer or not. Glo Z Buzzz is more HSS and LSS and a great help in winds or when you're pushing to the max.

As a distance driver PD is longer and doesn't need as much height or power. And they come in so many flights that you'll find what you need. Straight or fading even turning ones if you go low enough in weight and beat P plastic in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:00 am

The average Joe should be looking to get a consistent controllable 300-325' without flipping a Buzz. If you crank on it they can fly farther, but you will likely be getting some turn beyond that unless you have absolutely 0 OAT.

Unless you have a cannon there isn't much reason to be throwing a Teebird at 400'. That is top caliber pro style and they are probably peaking at more like 450-475' with that disc. An Orc or PD is plenty controllable at those distances and there isn't much reason to not throw one.

Also, the XL is an understable disc to start out with. If you're planning on throwing a TB 400', a pro D XL is going to be your roller/extreme anhyzer disc, not a "stable control driver".
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jaboc83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks for the input guys!

CatPredator wrote:Unless you have a cannon there isn't much reason to be throwing a Teebird at 400'. That is top caliber pro style and they are probably peaking at more like 450-475' with that disc. An Orc or PD is plenty controllable at those distances and there isn't much reason to not throw one.

Agreed. I'm guessing that I won't ever be throwing my TeeBirds to 400' in reality. The point of taking my PD out of the bag for a while is just to see if it's even a possibility for me. Even if I only push it from 330' to 360' I'll be happy with the improvement. I guarentee the PD will end up back in the bag once I feel that I've got my form where I want it, or if I go to a longer course.

CatPredator wrote:Also, the XL is an understable disc to start out with. If you're planning on throwing a TB 400', a pro D XL is going to be your roller/extreme anhyzer disc, not a "stable control driver".

I see your point here as well, but while 400' with a Teebird is my lofty goal, I'm certainly not there yet. Currently, the XL is my stable control driver because with my current power it still flies straight as an arrow for me. As I make progress toward my goal I'll adjust my bag accordingly, and hopefully drop the XL in favor of something more stable. I would imagine that a star teebird wouldn't be considered an overstable driver either with that kind of power :)
jaboc83
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:40 am

Which courses do you play? I'm a MN guy, and there are a few others on these boards. I'm guessing we'd be familiar with the courses you play and be able to help pare down or bulk up your bag to fit them. Lakeville is on the outskirts of the metro but we probably still play some of the same courses!
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby jaboc83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

I was playing Alimagnet (Apple Valley) every morning before work this summer. I also spent a good amount of time at Brockway (Rosemount), and Red Oak (Burnsville). Those are my regulars anyway. Brockway has a 6 or 700 foot hole but otherwise I think they rarely stray into the 300s on any of those courses.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Right on. You have a good bag for those courses. I live farther north and don't get out to those very often. Lakewood, Acorn, Kaposia, Oakwood, and the Valley are my regular circuit.

Have you had a chance to play BRP? It's a long haul from Lakeville, but if you're looking to figure out how good you are with a Buzzz, that's the place to go! And the fairways are plowed in the winter...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby jaboc83 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Cool. I just discovered The Valley in the last couple days before the snow hit. That's a lot of fun. I haven't hit BRP yet but it's on the agenda this year.
jaboc83
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion