Any gaps here?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Any gaps here?

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 pm

The last time I posted in here, I got some good advice to go learn the discs that I have and stop messing with my bag. I'm taking that advice, and learning all the discs I have (field time and course time are almost 50/50) and I feel like I am getting most of my discs dialed in.

I wanted to repost and see if you guys thought I had any gaps. Specifically between my fairway drivers and my faster drivers. Is there a good disc to step up from a Teebird before going to a Wraith? I am going to stick to TB's until I can get them consistently to 350' (around 325' right now), but I wanted to start getting some ideas. I also don't quite feel like I am at the point where I can throw a Wraith consistently (except my Pro WR is good on open fairways w/ tailwind, and champ WR is great for long hyzers).

My TB's turn over a little when thrown into a little bit of wind at full power, so I was wondering if there was a good disc that would be a touch faster than a TB and handles the wind well, but also doesn't require tons of torque to keep it from hyzering out quickly. I am hoping to stay around speed 9.

Here is what I have in the bag now:

Stable Control Drivers:
175 Champion Teebird+ - stable
171 Star Teebird - straight
172 DX Teebird - new...hoping to beat-in to flippy

Distance Driver:
168 Pro Wraith - stable / tailwind distance

Understable Drivers:
175 Champion Sidewinder - turnover / tailwind distance
175 Champion Leopard - fairway

Overstable Driver:
175 Champion Wraith - forehand / headwind / big hyzers

Mids:
176 ESP Buzzz - shorter drives
171 Elite-X Buzzz - approaches

Putters:
175 R-Pro Aviar - cold days
175 Yeti Pro Aviar - main putter
170 Yeti Pro Aviar - driving putter
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Any gaps here?

Postby anubis080 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:01 am

If you are wanting something a little faster than a teebird, but has some good stability, I would recommend an Avenger or S-PD. The Avenger is a little slower than a PD, and are both very workable. Strikers are also pretty decent for that spot.

Depending on your distance between fairway drivers and distance drivers, the leopard and sidewinder may overlap a little. I would personally choose the leopards over the sidewinders.

How far do you get your buzzzes out there? If good distance, I would recommend a hornet or roc for a little more stable approaches.

Wraiths are awesome. Might be a little slower than the warp speed stuff, but very predictable.
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Postby victorb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 am

only thing I see missing is a true overstable disc, like a predator, firebird, xXx, C-PD, etc
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:53 am

anubis080 wrote:If you are wanting something a little faster than a teebird, but has some good stability, I would recommend an Avenger or S-PD. The Avenger is a little slower than a PD, and are both very workable. Strikers are also pretty decent for that spot.

victorb wrote:only thing I see missing is a true overstable disc, like a predator, firebird, xXx, C-PD, etc

I'll look into some of these and possibly chose from those in the next month or so. Anyone else got input here? Would a S and C PD fit in as a good combo?

anubis080 wrote:Depending on your distance between fairway drivers and distance drivers, the leopard and sidewinder may overlap a little. I would personally choose the leopards over the sidewinders.

How far do you get your buzzzes out there? If good distance, I would recommend a hornet or roc for a little more stable approaches.

I like my leopard for turnover forehand-out-of-trouble or low-power fairway shots. My sidewinder is great for longer s-turn drives and hyzerflips. So I'll probably stick to having both in the bag. Especially on a tailwind, the sidewinder is money.

I can get my Buzzz's at what seems to be 280', but I need to get back to a football field to really know for sure. I never really use the ESP BZ for drives over 200'. I know I can make it more stable by adding hyzer and some height, but not with low ceilings, so would a Hornet make a big difference in my bag?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Do you drive with putters at all? If you do, you should think of getting a more stable putter mold. Do you use your putters for approaches? I see that you have your XBuzzz listed as your approach disc. I know a lot of folks have different flavors for their approaches, but I find a putter is more than adequate for this duty.

I do agree that you'd want something more stable for your mid slot and a pig for the driver slot as well. Also, for a step up from the teeb, I would look at the striker and/or pd like stated before. A star (until beaten) or C pd will give you the headwind driver type you're wanting. You have several options for the three areas mentioned, it is just a matter of testing more discs in the field.
Last edited by Sean40474 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
anubis080 wrote:If you are wanting something a little faster than a teebird, but has some good stability, I would recommend an Avenger or S-PD. The Avenger is a little slower than a PD, and are both very workable. Strikers are also pretty decent for that spot.

victorb wrote:only thing I see missing is a true overstable disc, like a predator, firebird, xXx, C-PD, etc

I'll look into some of these and possibly chose from those in the next month or so. Anyone else got input here? Would a S and C PD fit in as a good combo?

anubis080 wrote:Depending on your distance between fairway drivers and distance drivers, the leopard and sidewinder may overlap a little. I would personally choose the leopards over the sidewinders.

I like my leopard for turnover forehand-out-of-trouble or low-power fairway shots. My sidewinder is great for longer s-turn drives and hyzerflips. So I'll probably stick to having both in the bag. Especially on a tailwind, the sidewinder is money.

I can get my Buzzz's at what seems to be 280', but I need to get back to a football field to really know for sure. I never really use the ESP BZ for drives over 200'. I know I can make it more stable by adding hyzer and some height, but not with low ceilings, so would a Hornet make a big difference in my bag?

There are some folks on here that throw (all three) the P,S,C PDs and swear by them for a large database of shots. The Hornet will be your overstable disc in the mid slot. It'll allow you to disc down and throw closer to 80-90% instead of trying to finesse a driver into the wind and getting mixed or less accurate results on average.

If I were you, I'd really learn to throw a putter up to the 250ish range as it is more accurate than a finessing a buzzz. This is a slightly different story if you have some wind swirling around you. A stable putter mold will still do pretty well in wind when you learn your nose angles and hyzer releases well.

I think you should be able to throw buzzzs on lower lines once you cleanup your form, you'd be surprised at how low of a line you can throw these. This also depends on the "windage" factor.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm

As for putters, I drive them near 220', and I plan on working more with them to reach 250'. I'm also going to start learning forehand shots with them.

I played a round with Whiz this afternoon after picking up a beat-in S PD and a new C PD. He suggested picking up a few discs and putting a few away. With that in mind, how is this for a bag? I don't have this right now, but would work toward building it. Italics denote discs I don't have yet.

Stable Control Drivers:
171 Star Teebird - stable
160-165 Star Teebird - straight
172 DX Teebird - new...hoping to beat-in to flippy (dedicated thumber for now)

Distance Driver:

Understable Drivers:
171 S PD (beat-in) - turnover / straight
165-170 S TD - turnover / rollers
165-170 Star/Pro Leopard - fairway

Overstable Drivers:
175 C PD - wind / hyzer finishes / forehand
175 Champion Wraith - s-curve forehand / stable

Mids:
175ish Elite-Z Hornet - overstable
176 ESP Buzzz - stable
171 Elite-X Buzzz - straight
170ish ESP Meteor - turnover

Putters:
175 KC Pro Aviar - driving putter
170 Yeti Pro Aviar - approaches / driving turnover putter
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby anubis080 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:As for putters, I drive them near 220', and I plan on working more with them to reach 250'. I'm also going to start learning forehand shots with them.

I played a round with Whiz this afternoon after picking up a beat-in S PD and a new C PD. He suggested picking up a few discs and putting a few away. With that in mind, how is this for a bag? I don't have this right now, but would work toward building it. Italics denote discs I don't have yet.

Stable Control Drivers:
160-165 Star Teebird - straight
172 DX Teebird - new...hoping to beat-in to flippy (dedicated thumber for now)

Distance Driver:

Understable Drivers:
165-170 S TD - turnover / rollers
165-170 Star/Pro Leopard - fairway

Overstable Drivers:
175 C PD - wind / hyzer finishes / forehand

Mids:
175ish Elite-Z Hornet - overstable
176 ESP Buzzz - stable
171 Elite-X Buzzz - straight
170ish ESP Meteor - turnover

Putters:
175 KC Pro Aviar - driving putter

looks pretty nice to me :) If you are ever looking for a little more distance on some of those drivers:
tailwind: ESP or elite X Nuke.
overstable: PD2 or Force
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

anubis080 wrote:looks pretty nice to me :) If you are ever looking for a little more distance on some of those drivers:
tailwind: ESP or elite X Nuke.
overstable: PD2 or Force

Thanks! I'm looking forward to building this bag, probably from slower to faster discs. If I am getting my Pro Wraith near 330', would a 12/13 speed driver be too much for me right now?

Anyone have suggestions on a bag? I have an Innova Standard bag, but might need a bigger one soon.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't really be throwing a Wraith if I was only getting 330' with it, I guess if you get one lighter it is okay. I wouldn't be moving into the 12/13 range until you're getting your wraith over 400' at least. There are several discs that you can learn that will get you over 350' that aren't above speed 9. Learn to throw a comet to help get oat out of your throw and learn to throw a putter accurately up to 270+ and you'll be on your way.

Gorilla Boy Kong is a nice big bag with a lot of cargo space.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 am

Sean40474 wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't really be throwing a Wraith if I was only getting 330' with it, I guess if you get one lighter it is okay. I wouldn't be moving into the 12/13 range until you're getting your wraith over 400' at least. There are several discs that you can learn that will get you over 350' that aren't above speed 9. Learn to throw a comet to help get oat out of your throw and learn to throw a putter accurately up to 270+ and you'll be on your way.

Gorilla Boy Kong is a nice big bag with a lot of cargo space.

This is great. Exactly the advice I am looking for. So you would suggest getting a Comet to learn correct form/release? That's not the first time I have heard that. What weight would you suggest? Most of the ones I saw at my local shop were super domey and had a stinkin huge bead...is that normal? (I guess I am used to a buzzz)

Like I said, I will be slowly building this bag, from slower to faster, so by the time I get to replacing some of the faster discs I should hopefully be improving.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

I throw 175 X-Comets and have a few Z-Comets for a smidge more fade at the end of flight. The Comet is already a finesse disc, so I guess it won't really matter what weight you get. I've noticed the ever so slight stability difference in heavier Comets, but that won't really matter at this point for you.

The Comet will tell you when you throw it incorrectly. Further, the Comet is very forgiving on nose angles, so this isn't the best disc to learn how to combat that monster. You'll graduate to a more nose sensitive disc later when you kill the oat monster. These can be a major factors on limiting your max distance potential....both oat and nose angle problems. I guess it is up to you to choose which one you'd like to attack first.

If the Comet doesn't tickle your fancy, then you could always try a Fuse as they're somewhat similar.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:05 am

Did a little update on the bag. After some field time, I am really liking what I have now. I picked up an X Comet and know why people like them so much. They are really touchy, but if you get it right, they are money. I also traded my 175 Champ Leopard for a 160 Star Leopard. So glad I did. Now I have a Leo that will hyzerflip or stay turned over even on tight fairways. Also Picked up a C TD for the understable slot.

In the future, I am hoping to add a 170ish S PD to go between my beat-in S PD and my C PD, a 165ish Star Teebird for a straighter-but-still-stable control driver, a 175ish Z Hornet for windier midrange shots, and a 175 KC Aviar for more a more stable driving putter. Anything else I should look at adding or removing? Do I need something like a Meteor, or is that covered by my X Comet?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Stable Control Drivers:
172 DX Teebird - new, beating to flippy (dedicated thumber for now)

Distance Driver:
(my S-PD might compete for this spot until I get more D)

Understable Drivers:
168 C TD - it's new, so right now it is fairly stable
160 Star Leopard - more of a utility disc, flippy when I need it to be

Overstable Drivers:
175 C PD - wind / hyzers / forehand

Mids:
176 ESP Buzzz - overstable
171 Elite-X Buzzz - stable
167 Elite-X Comet - straight

Putters:
175 R-Pro Aviar - used on cold days
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am

I LOVE, LOVE the Comet...this disc will change your game if you learn how to throw it.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion