Fill in the gap of this bag-in-the-making

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fill in the gap of this bag-in-the-making

Postby Cyan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Hello DGR!

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster here. I've ridden the same bag for a couple years now, and due to some changes, (RIP Gazelle, ~30ft distance boost) it's time to switch things up a bit.

My game:
RHBH with no forehand
~315 golf D, 330+ max D
Prefer stable discs in stages of wear

The Foundation of my bag:

Putter: Glow Wizards ~172
Understable Mid: beat dx Roc
Stable mid: dx Roc
Overstable mid: ??
Fairway Driver: ?? Need to replace my usual 3-4 gazelles in different stages of wear
Stable Driver: dx Teebirds
Overstable Fairway: ??
Distance: 2-3 Ch. Sidewinders in stages of wear

I clearly have some gaps to fill. Any suggestions?
Additionally, I have some shots where I'm left with a question mark. Namely:
None of my Wizards can hold a turn. Even a beat roc with enough juice on it to turn can be tough to gauge distance -thoughts?
Do I have the arm for a Predator? Other OS Fairway suggestions?
Does a Drone or something similar make sense to fit between the Wiz & new Roc? Any wiz shot of mine that gets out beyond ~150 isn't going to fade enough for this shot.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
Cyan
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Gazelle

Re: Fill in the gap of this bag-in-the-making

Postby victorb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm

KC Pro Roc for overstable mid.

Champ Teebird, or Champ Banshee for the Overstable driver spot.

Pick either the Gazelle or stick with DX Teebirds for stable fairway drivers.

The rest looks pretty solid.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BeSquared » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Cyan wrote:My game:
RHBH with no forehand
~315 golf D, 330+ max D
Prefer stable discs in stages of wear

Alright here we go. Given that your golf D is around 315 feet I would, honestly, stay away from stability. Work on smooth form with understable discs and learn to shape shots. You cannot do this with stable discs. Of course, stable discs have a place, but not for your distance

Cyan wrote:The Foundation of my bag:

Putter: Glow Wizards ~172 Fine
Understable Mid: beat dx Roc
Stable mid: dx Roc
Overstable mid: ?? Try a KC Roc. You seem to like the Roc Mold, which is a good choice, so stick with it.
Fairway Driver: ?? Need to replace my usual 3-4 gazelles in different stages of wear Why? It is a great disc and very versatile.
Stable Driver: dx Teebirds Or new Gazelle? Again, you seemed to really like that mold, why change it?
Overstable Fairway: ?? Z-Pred or Champion Firebird, that is all.
Distance: 2-3 Ch. Sidewinders in stages of wear I agree with this choice.

And finally...

Cyan wrote:I clearly have some gaps to fill. Any suggestions? Not as many as your might think. See below
Additionally, I have some shots where I'm left with a question mark. Namely:
None of my Wizards can hold a turn. Even a beat roc with enough juice on it to turn can be tough to gauge distance -thoughts? Line shaping is difficult. No magic discs here, just a mold you are confident with and practice.
Do I have the arm for a Predator? Other OS Fairway suggestions? Sure you do. You will not get a lot of distance out of it, but in headwind and hard right to left shots it will see some play.
Does a Drone or something similar make sense to fit between the Wiz & new Roc? Any wiz shot of mine that gets out beyond ~150 isn't going to fade enough for this shot. All about feel here. A roc is stable and can handle the stability slot. HOWEVER it's rim is much thinner in comparison to the drone, which might compromise consistency on release. Try them side by side and see.

To recap, try this bag layout:
Sidewinder (distance)
Gazelle (fairway)
Z-pred or Champ Firebird (Stable fairway, trick shots)
Roc (midrange)
Wizard (Putter of choice)

This set up will take care of most courses you will face. My bag is similar and has been for almost two years. No regrets.
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Cyan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for the input.

I am considering moving away from the Gazelle due to its discontinuation. It seems that color choices are already slimming in the weight I throw.

I'll go with a couple 180 KC Rocs to complement my ~168 dx for some more stability.

What understable discs would be recommended? How would I complement these discs for wind duty?

Much appreciated!
Cyan
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Gazelle

Postby victorb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

at your distance I'd say the champ Firebird or Z predator would be waaaaaaay too overstable to do what you'd be looking for. stick with a heavy champ teebird or champ banshee, they will be more controllable for you.

as for understable discs, a couple good ones to try might be a D XL or DX leopard if you're looking for an out of the box turn disc, or just beat in your sidewinders or teebirds.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby mark12b » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:52 pm

If you like working dx Gazelles, you'll love Eagles. If you pick up some DX EXs they'll start out in the overstable fairway/headwind fighter slot and as they break in they get really workable and you can rotate-out the understable Gazelles.

I like the Gator for the overstable mid slot, fun disc for short hyzers, skips, forehand rollers, etc.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion