Mids still control my bag :(

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Mids still control my bag :(

Postby Ironhide » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

So finally got to start playing here in Minnesota even though some of the courses you need to wear snow boots. And even after 2-3 weeks of playing, I can still out throw my fairway/distance drivers with my mids. Not to mention the accuracy difference. And I noticed looking a Joe's Flight Chart, most of the drivers are in the 4.5 + RNG. So I was thinking of finding a driver maybe in the 3.5-4 RNG? I know the Leopard is in that range, but since it's champion plastic, it flies more overstable, so maybe get one of those in DX plastic? Also I'm looking for a 'stiffer' feeling putter, suggestions?

Discs I was thinking of looking into: Leopard DX, Archangel DX, Kite DX, etc... around the 168g +/-

Current Arsenal of Discs

Distance Driver
170g - Champion - Valkyrie
170g - DX - Valkyrie
165g - ESP - FLX XL
167g - ESP - FLX XL
170g - Quantum - QJLS

Fairway Driver
171g - Champion - Leopard
168g - Star - TL

Mid-Range
168g - DX - Roc
168g - DX - Shark
174g - Pro-D - Roc
170g? - Pro-D - Buzzz

Putter
171g - DX - Aviar
175g - DX - Aviar
175g - DX - Aviar

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby cfair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

1) I like your avatar.
2) If you would like a stiff putter the obvious choice is KC Aviars. But you could also try a soft Wizard, or ProD Challenger. If you want to try a shallow version of those discs the ProD Ringer is a nice choice. If you don't want a beaded putter you could give a Soft or Firm Magic a try (don't let gateway's names fool you Soft isn't that soft, and Super Softs are just kinda soft...)
3) I've had something of a similar issue with my mids and drivers... I can crank on some mids... but the nose up issues I have kill my drivers. I am attempting to fix this with just a ProD Cyclone for a while and a Pro Leo. The cyclone because it is a very mid like driver and the leo because it is praised by so many...
4) Skip the archangel and Kite. But a DX 167-170g Leo would be just fine.
cfair
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby Ironhide » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 pm

cfair wrote:1) I like your avatar.
2) If you would like a stiff putter the obvious choice is KC Aviars. But you could also try a soft Wizard, or ProD Challenger. If you want to try a shallow version of those discs the ProD Ringer is a nice choice. If you don't want a beaded putter you could give a Soft or Firm Magic a try (don't let gateway's names fool you Soft isn't that soft, and Super Softs are just kinda soft...)
3) I've had something of a similar issue with my mids and drivers... I can crank on some mids... but the nose up issues I have kill my drivers. I am attempting to fix this with just a ProD Cyclone for a while and a Pro Leo. The cyclone because it is a very mid like driver and the leo because it is praised by so many...
4) Skip the archangel and Kite. But a DX 167-170g Leo would be just fine.


Thanks for the input! I know I really need to focus on my form this summer, but would like to have a fairway/distance driver to gauage my progress with but at the same time is more forgiving. Rather than getting something like a Boss or a Groove and not be able to use it. The guys I play with also recommended the KC aviar, so maybe when I go to GGGT this week I can see how it feels. I'll definetly grab a 167-170 DX Leopard, but after doing some more research, instead of the archangel and kite like you said, maybe the cheetah and stratus?
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby cfair » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:00 pm

dude if you can go to GGGT see if blake is there and if not ask the people there for advice on transitioning from mids to fairways. I'm sure they could help you.
cfair
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby Ironhide » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:29 pm

cfair wrote:dude if you can go to GGGT see if blake is there and if not ask the people there for advice on transitioning from mids to fairways. I'm sure they could help you.


I actually got to play w/ Blake and Beato once, 2 summers ago and I felt like a kindergartner throwing. :lol: Any time I go into GGGT they're always super busy and don't want to bother them. Plus I like hearing from a wide variety of people cause everyone is different.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby tgm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I'd say get a teebird (maybe a pd). I used a teebird for my fairway/distance driver for most of last season stepping down from the ultra speed discs. I improved a lot in distance (accuracy is still a problem). I also throw an ESP cyclone a lot but the teebird can go quite a ways with a good throw and I think it's a pretty forgiving disc, long and straight.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby burt21 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:51 pm

even though it might be like a valkyrie you might want to try a flat star sidewinder. How far do you throw your mids, fairway drivers, drivers. I personally throw mids up to 330 and use star tl's for anything longer. a light sidewinder could get you a lot more distance because it will turn and flex out for you, you can also throw it with a hyzer and flip it over, it wont be too nose up sensitive which could help you. If you get comfortable with that you could also try a champ orc, those helped me a lot learning distance, i couldnt believe how far they were going when i walked up to them.
burt21
Noob
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: North Carolina
Favorite Disc: teebird

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby Ironhide » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm

tgm wrote:I'd say get a teebird (maybe a pd). I used a teebird for my fairway/distance driver for most of last season stepping down from the ultra speed discs. I improved a lot in distance (accuracy is still a problem). I also throw an ESP cyclone a lot but the teebird can go quite a ways with a good throw and I think it's a pretty forgiving disc, long and straight.


The PD your referring to is.. ??? My buddy I think has a light teebird, so I'll give it a try!

burt21 wrote:even though it might be like a valkyrie you might want to try a flat star sidewinder. How far do you throw your mids, fairway drivers, drivers. I personally throw mids up to 330 and use star tl's for anything longer. a light sidewinder could get you a lot more distance because it will turn and flex out for you, you can also throw it with a hyzer and flip it over, it wont be too nose up sensitive which could help you. If you get comfortable with that you could also try a champ orc, those helped me a lot learning distance, i couldn't believe how far they were going when i walked up to them.


You're another person that recommended the sidewinder. As far as 'flat' is it the different plastics that are flatter than others? or do I just need to look for one? Looking at the orc numbers, that sounds dangerous to me.. :lol: It probably won't 'fade' to the left, it will go 90 degrees left for me..lol
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby tgm » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 pm

pd as in discmania power driver. It's my current distance driver. I went with the p-line pd and they're great. A bit faster and longer than I throw the teebird and it just seems to glide like a buzzz. After the first couple throws I was sold on it. I still throw the teebird quite a bit but on the long holes it's an easy grab for the pd. I use a slightly worn dx teebird now as my workhorse driver and the cyclone when I need some shaped lines (I'm also trying the eagle now too).
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Mids still control my bag :(

Postby Ironhide » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:18 pm

tgm wrote:pd as in discmania power driver. It's my current distance driver. I went with the p-line pd and they're great. A bit faster and longer than I throw the teebird and it just seems to glide like a buzzz. After the first couple throws I was sold on it. I still throw the teebird quite a bit but on the long holes it's an easy grab for the pd. I use a slightly worn dx teebird now as my workhorse driver and the cyclone when I need some shaped lines (I'm also trying the eagle now too).


This be the one? if so, man that is fast...lol

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/p ... -2273.html
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark


Return to Bag Critique / Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest