Full Discmania Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Full Discmania Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:09 pm

I recently started re-building my bag around Discmania. It all started when I realized just how versatile the PD is. I have a C and two S lines. With these three discs alone I have a slot for meathooks, distance flex shots, turnovers, rollers, massive anhyzers that never fade, forehand shots, and even a fairway driver. From there I added in some P2's and have improved my putting and approach game. The latest addition was a DD, GM and MD2. I thought I would go in here and post what I have found so far.

I also would love to hear from anyone else who throws nothing but Discmania. I know there has to be some of you on here.

The only slots that I don't have in my bag are an overstable and understable midrange. The GM and MD2 can fit those roles if you throw them right, but that isn't their forte. The GM is stable and the MD2 is somewhat stable, which makes a great combo, but they could use some help. On this note, I honestly see no point in a fairway driver since the MD2 has such a great range and the PD powers down so well. I hope the next slot they fill is overstable and understable mid.

Anyway, here are my findings:

Drivers:

167 P DD - Incredible distance driver for me. My longest shot is around 375' on a slight anhyzer. This disc is still stable right now, and it will flex out really well. Thrown flat it flies on a laser-straight line and hyzers out the last 20% of the flight. It goes far past my PD's, which is great when that extra reach puts me in good position for an upshot. It also fades a lot less than the PD, so accuracy is increased on longer drives when compared to the PD.

175 C PD - Very overstable, but very workable. It will hold whatever line you put it on, and usually fade back faithfully when flexed. It really works well as a wind-fighting disc and when a steep hyzer finish is needed. On a full-powered backhand, with a touch of anhyzer, I can get this near 350' on a laser-straight line before it fades out.

168 S PD - Stable. Great disc for subtle s-curves and even a long anhyzer that flattens out (when given enough height). It fits the stable slot in my bag really well. The fade is so dependable on this disc, but I expect it to straighten out once it gets beat-in further like my next PD.

170 S PD (beat-in) - This disc will literally do anything except meathooks. I can throw it hyzer and it doesn't dive bomb after 70% of the flight. Instead, it holds the hyzer line and flips up just a little, going sooo far on that line (just not a meathook hyzer). If thrown flat around %70 power, it will fly laser straight almost the entire way to the ground. Thrown with snap and anhyzer, there is NO chance that this thing will come out of the turnover and fade back. I love it for dogleg rights that are too far to the right for my forehand shot.

168 C TD - Great turnover disc! Thrown flat, it will dependably turn right, and with enough height it will faithfully come back. It hyzerflips on more powerful throws, but doesn't need to much hyzer to come to flat. Not much else to say here. It lives up to its name.

Midranges / Putters:

175 S GM - Fairly stable. This is a great, dependable approach disc for me when I need a hyzer finish. It will also fly a really nice s-curve when flexed on low power, which was great for me in a round today when I needed to come around a tree on an approach shot. Thrown with a bit more power, and a touch of hyzer, it flips up a little and flies a stable line. Definitely starts fading much sooner than my MD2.

178 C MD2 - I got a champystar-ish looking one. Thrown at 80% power, it will flip up just a little and fly a really straight line. I can get it near 300' on a really accurate line. This disc will be used on shorter holes to reach gaps. On approach shots, it is really straight and will hold whatever line you put it on. Great midrange that requires skill and will show you if you aren't releasing at the right angle.

175 S P2 - Great driving putter! It is somewhat stable, so getting it to flip up and turn right isn't happening unless you release it on anhyzer. On an anhyzer, it will usually flex back pretty well (depending on how deep the anhyzer is, of course). What it does best, for me, is approach shots...incredibly accurate and slow. It goes where you release it.

175 D P2 - This putter has been an amazing addition to my bag. I know that putting (and all of disc golf) is mostly form rather than the disc, but my range is increasing with these guys. They feel so great in the hand and don't get too soft that they start flopping like a P-line might.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Full Discmania Bag

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Looking good. For understable stuff a beat in P-MD2 will work nicely. Now that I think about it, I used a D-GM for straight shots when it was new and after it beat in a bit it was a kick ass understable mid. Why didn't I suggest it to you before... Weird... I stopped throwing it because I started preferring the MD2 on an anhyzer line to turning the disc in flight, but it really is a good understable mid after you work it in. Give them a try if you can find them.

I'm getting new P-MD2s shortly, they have a shape more reminiscent of the production C-MD2 than the older P-MD2s, a blunter nose etc. Might be nice and straight, I'll know in a while. Good to see you got a straight C-MD2. My pink ones are really opaque, guess you could call them champystars. Wonderfully straight and hold any line you put them on.

The S-P1s are more stable than D-P1s, but they will turn after a while (if not out of the box). The P-P2 should be coming at some point, and every source I heard has told me it isn't going to be the floppy kind of P-Line used in the P1, but a much stiffer blend.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Besides a fairway driver I think I'd be fairly comfortable with all DM.

P2 (D and S)
MD2 (P and C)
TD (C)
PD (all plastics)
PD2 (P and C)
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Thinking about adding a lighter P DD2 for wide-open tailwind distance. Would this be overkill for me if my longest reach with a DD is near 350' or so?

So far this bag is working really well for me. I think I got lucky with my MD2 considering how straight it flies. Today I put it near 270' on a completely straight line all the way to the ground...zero fade. After I get a P P1, and maybe a P MD2 (when they get released here), I'll have every slot pretty much filled...but an FD would be a great addition!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 am

P DD2 is probably ok for you after breaking in only in calm weather or in mild headwinds. It should fade hard on you in calm weather and in rear winds even worse. Unless you mean s-curves. Then it may be useful but only on those lines and hooks left. Or sidearm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:35 pm

JR wrote:P DD2 is probably ok for you after breaking in only in calm weather or in mild headwinds. It should fade hard on you in calm weather and in rear winds even worse. Unless you mean s-curves. Then it may be useful but only on those lines and hooks left. Or sidearm.

Found a 172 P DD2 and a 175 P PD2 today at my local PIAS. Both looked like they had one or two rounds on them. Took them to a field and threw them. The DD2 quickly lost my interest with how unpredictable it was for me. I couldn't tell if it was going to make a tight s-curve or do a wide, right turn and never come back. A few times I did get a nice throw out of it, but it was just too finicky for me. The PD2 was a great flex-out machine, but I think it was a bit too much of a cheater disc for me because of how overstable it is. I could lean back and really give it a ton of anhyzer and it would literally land straight in front of me wayyy down the field. The only problem is I need a wide fairway and a high ceiling...something that I wont expect for a normal round. So I took those back. Case closed for me (as of now)...the fastest driver in my bag will remain my 167 P DD.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:50 pm

I ended up having one of my best rounds yet today. My 167 P DD is breaking in really nice to become a bomber and I got my longest throw ever today around 380' on a slight anhyzer that came back on a gentle fade. It is still stable enough after taking a few dings to be released on anhyzer and not flip over.

Got a few questions:

I had some successful turnover shots with my 168 C TD, but had some trouble with getting it to fade back. On low ceiling shots, I wanted it to fade back but it kept turning. Would a 175 C TD with a slightly higher PLH be a good fit here? Or should I just throw the 168 C TD with less anhyzer/more hyzer?

Also, what exactly would make an MD2 more stable? My gummy/champystar 180 C MD2 flies really straight and is great when you dont need a solid fade. What exactly would I look for to get a more stable MD2? Is it a matter of plastic? Most of them I've seen have the same PLH...which makes me wonder if the true C-lines are more stable than the champystar C-lines and S-lines.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Whiz » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Hey Tyler. If you want a TD that will come back I am really liking the stiff S-line TDs with somewhat high parting lines (by comparison to other TDS). My favorite at the moment is actually a 171 Red Star that is more stable than my less stiff 175 S-line TDs. If you are looking for a more stable MD2 I have a couple C-lines that I would be happy to give up that were a little more stable than I was looking for. Shoot me a text and we can get out sometime to throw/trade this week or next.

-Paul
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:14 am

Thanks Paul, I'll give you a shout soon. It's been a busy week.

Just to add some notes on my bag, I found that my MD2 is really great at lower-power throws under 300' that require a really slight left turn. With about 60% power, on a subtle hyzerflip, my MD2 will just barely go from right to left and have a soft fade. It's landed me two drop-in birdies through wooded holes. I'm still looking forward to getting a P MD2 that I can beat-in to straight/understable.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Full Discmania Bag - soon to change?

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Here is what I have ended up with:

Drivers:
167 P DD - Headwind Distance - For my power level, this is all I need in a headwind until it gets beat-in further
175 C PD - Slightly lower PLH than my S PD, and I have a hard time deciding between the two discs
168 S PD - Slightly higher PLH than my C PD
173 S TD (stiff) - Higher PLH than my other TD. Stable control driver
175 S TD (gummy) - Lower PLH than my other TD. Working into understable

Mids:
175 S GM - Overstable mid
178 C MD2 - Stable mid
179 S MD2 - Using this predominantly until it loses some stability.

Both MD2's are great midranges, and both hold a really nice turnover line, so a true understable mid isn't necessary.

Putters:
175 S P2 - Dedicated approach disc and works great for turnover approaches when there is room
175 D P2 x4 - Rotating 2 for straighter, shorter drives and 2 for putting

In the end, I think this bag may be a little too stable for my needs, but it works and I am learning. The best part is that it has taught me to learn fewer molds. I'm not stuck on only throwing Discmania, but I fear if I add too many other discs, I'll just slip back into what I was doing when I first learned how to play - continually buying different plastic before learning them. Any suggestions of what to add for the sake of improving my game are welcome.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Just so you know, Dynamic Discs apparently has two 177 P-Line MD2s available (production stamped), those will beat in quicker than the S-Line.

EDIT: Be warned though, the picture shows an S-Line.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu May 05, 2011 6:32 pm

jubuttib wrote:Just so you know, Dynamic Discs apparently has two 177 P-Line MD2s available (production stamped), those will beat in quicker than the S-Line.

EDIT: Be warned though, the picture shows an S-Line.

Saw those, and I also saw the pictures...so I wont be picking them up. My S MD2 and TD's had a date with a gravel parking lot...slowwwly getting to where I want them. My TD's are actually landing me more birdies than I have ever grabbed in a round. I don't plan on adding anything more understable any time soon.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion