Intermediate Skill - Beginner Knowledge

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Intermediate Skill - Beginner Knowledge

Postby ruggedman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:25 am

Greetings new forum! I joined because quite frankly there's a lot to keeping up with disc golf, too much for me to keep track of I've found. Seems like every year new manufacturers are coming out with new products, before you know it what you once knew isn't really the case anymore. I'm hopeful that this community will offer some help and advice for me on what I'm looking for. I really only know Innova discs, i'm open to all others, I just know their lineup somewhat well so I stick to them.

First a little about me, I'm an intermediate...I've probably played about 40 rounds of disc since I started in July '09. I've had a few discs come and go, and it seems like I've tailored my current bag in a way that I'm happy on wide open courses where i can really let my discs fly, but I'm having real trouble in the trees or on tight spots. For drives, I command a RHFH and a RHBH and use them interchangably depending on the hole layout. My forehand is significantly stronger and more "tuned" typically in the 300'-350' range. My midrange shots are almost always RHBH as are my putts. There's the occaisonal overhand hawk or forehand in there, but only when there's no other real option. If it matters I'm 28, 6'1", and about 190lbs.

I'll now talk about the discs i have and what I use them for:

Drivers:
1) Innova Champion Wraith 170g - Love this for my forehand drives, though I don't get turnover I want on backhands with this disc. And it seems no matter how I throw it, it does use a lot of "space" during it's flight path.
2) Innova Archangel DX 165g - What I learned on, it's a nice roller now. Use it for tomahawks in wicked tight tree areas.
3) Innova Dragon DX 150g - I use this on water holes...it feels too light for me to use it otherwise, but a few courses I play on it has gone for a swim a few times...

Mid Range:
1) Innova Wolf DX 180g - Big and heavy, this thing just goes straight. I don't like it as much as the stingray I once owned, but it's pretty similar.

Putts:
1) Innova Avair DX 167g - My original putter. Still love it.
2) Gateway Voodoo Super Stupid Soft 175g - My new putter, love at first throw (and my first non-innova)

What I need (I think):

Drivers: I feel like I don't have a good RHBH distance driver. I've thrown a beast and I liked that feel, but there's probably more out there now that i'm not aware of. I also lack any good distance drivers I feel confident using in the more dense wooded holes up here. I'm considering a Leopard for that. I also don't have a good headwind driver so I'm looking for one of those. Any addtional "must haves" or "must trys" are welcome. A better water disc would be a welcome addition too....

Mid-range: I'm considering replacing my Stingray...i've tried a few other mid-ranges (in the innova line) and none really hit the spot as much as that. I actually use my Wraith as a midrange forehand disc since it throws great regardless. Any other suggestions would be very welcome!

Putter: I'm actually pretty happy on this front for the time being. :)

And obviously all the equipment in the world isn't any good if you don't practice. I'm certainly going to continue doing that.
Thanks a million for any help you folks can offer.

-Andy
ruggedman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Wraith

Re: Intermediate Skill - Beginner Knowledge

Postby keltik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. how far are you throwing on golf lines each disc type?

aside from that you have really no where to go but up from what you have. you could try anything and more than likely find improvement. just try what you want.

your putters are okay.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby swel304 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 pm

how far do you average on a backhand drive? I would think you could use a control driver more than another max D driver. Maybe a Star leopard, xl,pls,jls, or teebird.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby ruggedman » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:27 am

My average backhand is 250' to 300' with the drivers. I can get the wolf to cruise about to 250' max, but i typcially use it for shots in the 50'-175' range where it really shines.

Control driver is exactly what I think I'm missing. I'll give the Leopard, XL, pls, jls, and teebirds a try in the near future. Thanks for the suggestions! If my elbow tendonitis stays at bay I'm hoping for some big improvements this year.
ruggedman
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Wraith

Postby keltik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:35 am

50-175' you should really be using your putter.

you may want to really work on your backhand form to give your elbow a rest. Pick up a Comet and learn to be smooth.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion