New to the game. not sure what I should be throwing.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

New to the game. not sure what I should be throwing.

Postby kadenspop » Sat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Distance wise I think that I am throwing around 300' on my backhand, but i'm kinda wild sometimes. My 2 favorite drivers to throw ATM are the Groove and my s-sl, but my s-sl tends to want to throw really high for me sometimes. I would say that i throw it high sometimes, but its really the only disc that does that to me. I have a couple other drivers that I use that stay at a much more manageable hight, but for some reason that SL really grabs altitude fast sometimes. Other then that i find that Valkries tend to throw very straight for me, i dont have one yet thought, and i love my leopard.

Just looking to see if I should try to trade any of the old hippies out any of these discs for something thats going to be easier to manage for me.

C- Boss
S- SL
DX- Leopard
DX- Shark ( 2 of them, ones old someone gave to me, the other is new i bought in a package with the leopard and the sl and a putter, ones a 176 the other is a 173 i think)
GT Banger Pro 174
C- Rhyno 170

obviously i need a few more discs, but i just got this set up a week ago, and have been pretty much non stop playing the couple of courses that are near me. i got 45 holes in yesterday! lol. my arm is a bit numb, but its cool, i think im gonna try to go play again in a little while. thanks for any input guys, and if you had any other questions about my playing to help answer the question, dont hesitate to ask!
kadenspop
Noob

Favorite Disc: S-SL 168 (?)

Re: New to the game. not sure what I should be throwing.

Postby JR » Sun May 08, 2011 3:19 am

300' with faster discs means that with a clean form the Leo is pretty perfect for straight control shots as long as it's not too beat. You may need to give it initial hyzer to flip to flat though. Champ Valk for longevity and longer shots with more fade in the end should be ok as long as it's less than max weight. I'm thinking mid 160s.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 am

Take the boss out of the bag, it's only going to mess you up. You might want to add a Teebird or Eagle-X for wind fighting duties. I wouldn't get anything beyond the SL until you can throw it 375ish. As to your skyrocket issues with it, this is called nose up. You want the disc angled slightly downward relative to the flight path you're throwing it on. This will eliminate the skyrocket effect and get you quite a bit more glide with all your discs. The slower discs are less sensitive to nose angle, so transitioning to the higher speed drivers can be very difficult.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 pm

If you want my short answer:

1) 165-168 DX Teebird or DX Eagle-X for 250'+
2) 175-180 S- MD2 or DX Roc or X-Buzzz for 100' to 250'
3) 175 DX Aviar P&A for putting and shots under 100'

Long answer...I would suggest slowing down even further, and taking the SL out. At 300', you don't need that fast of a disc, because it might be very overstable for you. As an example, I throw near 350' consistently on a flat throw (380' on occasion) with a TD, which is a less stable SL (same speed...almost), and they fly with very little high speed turn. Once you can reach past 300' consistently with something like a Teebird, then you are in a good place to step up to something like a roadrunner, sidewinder, or TD.

Start with a Teebird or Eagle-X for a driver, a Roc/MD2/Buzzz/etc. for a midrange, and a putter that has some glide (P2, Aviar P&A...not a rhyno). What really helped shape my game was getting a Star Teebird, a KC Pro Roc, and a DX Aviar P&A. I learned how to drive with my Roc and approach with my Aviar. I used the Teebird on longer holes (250'+). This really helped me slow down and work on my form. While you may be able to reach further with your SL, a Teebird or Eagle-X will be much more accurate and leave you in a better place for your second shot.

So you truly only need 3 discs to start with. Currently, I mainly use four molds in a round, but I have 6 molds (and 11 discs) in my bag. Learn how to throw those three discs on every line before getting more plastic. Also, practice your form in an open field. Don't just go for distance, but practice shaping lines by working on your form. There are tons of great articles to read on here. And lastly, enjoy it, be patient as you learn, and play with other guys who can help you.

EDIT: Sorry if that was too wordy. I hope it was helpful. I just looked back at your bag, and based on what you already have, I would throw your DX Sharks, your DX Leopard, your Banger, and add in a DX Teebird or DX Eagle-X...and call it a bag!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kadenspop » Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 pm

i went to La Mirada today and they have a much longer course then el dorado and i tried my SL out it was going about 350, and thanks to star shark and a random hippie at the course, ive ironed out the nose up issue very well. i was doing a big run cross step, but throwing it and not stepping far enough to balance my throws. slowed down my run up, simplified it, and am making myself nice and balanced throughout and ive extended my throw quite a bit and it has a much better line when i throw it. i picked up a champion valk from a random guy at el dorado for 5 bucks and i LOVE it. i throw it really far and really straight. i overthrew it the first time i tossed it by about 150' it was nuts (i had a pretty strong tailwind too). Amazing suggestion on the Teebird. i got a champ teebird xout (it says +tb on the underside, is that a different model?) and it is amazing. so straight and so comfortable to throw i love it. i like it more then my leopard and on the 63 holes i played today i found myself reaching for it most of the time and rarely going to the leopard. i want to get rid of my sharks, at least one of them. i dont like the way it throws. i want to try a different mid disc style.

ive been playing around with forehand shots with my boss, and someone today told me its not a very good disc to throw forehand and let me try his xcalibar. very big difference throwing it. should i trade them out or is there another forehand disc i should try out first?

other then that ive been playing around with the rhyno. it has alot of break and its not that fast, but its so soft i really want to learn to throw it.

oh and i got a roadrunner from play it again, it rolls really far when i try roller shots, but i cant decide if i like it more of a backhand or forehand shot. what do most people do with it?
kadenspop
Noob

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm

kadenspop wrote:i went to La Mirada today and they have a much longer course then el dorado and i tried my SL out it was going about 350, and thanks to star shark and a random hippie at the course, ive ironed out the nose up issue very well. i was doing a big run cross step, but throwing it and not stepping far enough to balance my throws. slowed down my run up, simplified it, and am making myself nice and balanced throughout and ive extended my throw quite a bit and it has a much better line when i throw it. i picked up a champion valk from a random guy at el dorado for 5 bucks and i LOVE it. i throw it really far and really straight. i overthrew it the first time i tossed it by about 150' it was nuts (i had a pretty strong tailwind too). Amazing suggestion on the Teebird. i got a champ teebird xout (it says +tb on the underside, is that a different model?) and it is amazing. so straight and so comfortable to throw i love it. i like it more then my leopard and on the 63 holes i played today i found myself reaching for it most of the time and rarely going to the leopard. i want to get rid of my sharks, at least one of them. i dont like the way it throws. i want to try a different mid disc style.

ive been playing around with forehand shots with my boss, and someone today told me its not a very good disc to throw forehand and let me try his xcalibar. very big difference throwing it. should i trade them out or is there another forehand disc i should try out first?

other then that ive been playing around with the rhyno. it has alot of break and its not that fast, but its so soft i really want to learn to throw it.

oh and i got a roadrunner from play it again, it rolls really far when i try roller shots, but i cant decide if i like it more of a backhand or forehand shot. what do most people do with it?

youre in my hood. we should get a round in one of these days. im @ eldo most mornings.

the dgcr sunday socal meetup group is another great place to pick up some pointers. we play a different course every sunday. were at eldo next sunday @ 9:00AM if youd like to join the group. its open to everyone.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 pm

Learn how to throw your Roadrunner on a hyzer line, where it flips up to flat and glides out a looong way 8)

Keep using the TB/Leo combo predominantly. For forehand, dont get anything too fast like an XCal right now. It will only hide your flaws. Throw your TB forehand and learn to keep your wrist from rolling. From there, something like a DD is a good step up...or even your SL.

And really, you should learn how to throw every one of your discs on forehand, backhand, and overhand. Don't get into the habit of specializing each disc. Sounds like you are on a great start.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kadenspop » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

[/quote] youre in my hood. we should get a round in one of these days. im @ eldo most mornings.

the dgcr sunday socal meetup group is another great place to pick up some pointers. we play a different course every sunday. were at eldo next sunday @ 9:00AM if youd like to join the group. its open to everyone.[/quote]
what time in the mornings? ive been playing HB in the mornings around 8 and going to eldo afterwards. i think i wanna play one or 2 in the morning though. as long as you dont make fun of my tree hugging (i hit the trees alot, is what im sayin)

@fightingthetide - when you say learn how to throw the RR on a hyzer, can you explain that a little bit?
kadenspop
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 09, 2011 9:12 pm

kadenspop wrote:@fightingthetide - when you say learn how to throw the RR on a hyzer, can you explain that a little bit?

Read this article: http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... gles.shtml

Basically, hyzer is when the outer edge of the disc (for RHBH throwers, the edge furthest from your chest) is lower than flat. It causes the disc to turn more to the left on RHBH (Right-Hand Back-Hand) and more to the right on RHFH (Right-Hand Fore-Hand). A RR is understable, meaning it wants to turn right (for RHBH) at high speeds. Of course, if you don't throw it fast enough, it wont turn...but if you have enough snap and power, throwing a RR from hyzer will cause it to "flip" from hyzer to flat. These kinds of throws usually give you the most power and accuracy. Read that article, and others on DGR, and play with guys who can show you the differences...your game will take off from there if you practice these lines.

There is a ton of physics that you can geek out on in disc golf...if you want to :)
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kadenspop » Wed May 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Updated bag

Boss = gone.
Found a c-Roadrunner 171 have been tossing it and I'm starting to get what you were saying about the toss anheizer to flat and I've gotten it to do it a couple times, alot of the time I throw from too low, my sternum or belly and it ends up flying to a huge roll lol. It's..... Alright.

S-sl 168 still tossing, now that I've learned to throw from my chest I love that disc.

C-valk 171 . Very long and usually very straight. Otherwise it's a very light and nice fade.

C-Teebird 171 long and straight small fade and awesome low fh.
Dx leapord - Long and straight or long and way right. Not a big fan.
Dx shark. Soft throws I like it, hard throws trend to go very right. I want something else.

Gt banger pro. Very hard, very straight. I can barely get it to break.

Champ rhyno. Soft. - short thrower, but a good fade. Takes very little to get a good break on it.

So I'm thinking byebye rr and I want to replace a shark and the leopard. Suggestions? I'm throwing longer but still working on form, so no more big drivers did a while I think
kadenspop
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion