DG Noob: My disc setup - good for beginner?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DG Noob: My disc setup - good for beginner?

Postby hdchrispy » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Hey I wanted to see what you guys think of my current discs and if they're a good start for a beginner. I play catch disc with a standard ol' frisbee almost daily with a friend just for the exercise and can make it do whatever I want it to (RHBH only), but obviously these DG discs throw differently. Here's what I have. I don't have the discs with me but all are around 165g and putter is 172 I believe.

-Sidewinder Driver (champ) - I can't throw this one good yet so I put it aside til I get my form down. I can currently throw my mid and putter the same or a few feet farther than this one. But they all are landing straight ahead so that's good.

-Skeeter mid (star) - I'm in the air with this one. I can control it fairly well, it just has an odd uncomfortable feel in my hand. Maybe something to get used to.

-Aviar P&A (dx) - I love this one so far. Very comfy and I can control it better than Skeeter and get equal distance with it.

-I just ordered a DX Shark and a Z Buzzz and am waiting for them to arrive so I can mess with them.

My plan is to find the mid range that I like the most and stick with it and the aviar until I get my form and strength better with good consistency, and then move on to other discs and start working with drivers.

Does this sound like a good idea? I figure playing a multitude of discs will hinder my ability to shape my form since their flight patterns are different. Seems like consistency from one disc is the way to go when starting out.
hdchrispy
Noob

Re: DG Noob: My disc setup - good for beginner?

Postby Nick M » Fri May 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I think you will like the Buzz. A new player who is a friend of mine was using a Skeeter and Breeze he got used, I made him buy a Buzz today. He wasn't good with the mids before and didn't use them much. Right from the start he was working the Buzz very nicely and shaping nice lines. It was instant love and this will probably become his main disc. I think you will be fine with the sidewinder once you get some more snap, its pretty understable. It won't be long until you might need a more stable driver.

Good luck with your game, my best advice is that you find some solid players to throw rounds with. You will learn a lot from watching and people seem to play up to the group they are with. My friend who just started 1 month ago is already throwing 300ft+, we just taught him how to throw long annys with an orion ls. The day by day results have been awesome. The support of experienced players has really helped him.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Spike » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Z Buzzz is a superdisc. However, it is not a very touchy disc when you're close to the basket (like Comet), it works best at drives and longer approaches. So if you use Buzzz as your only mid, try to use the Dx Aviar as much as you can for the approach shots. It will be good in the long run.
Spike
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: very old Birdies

Postby hdchrispy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 am

Nick M wrote:I think you will like the Buzz. A new player who is a friend of mine was using a Skeeter and Breeze he got used, I made him buy a Buzz today. He wasn't good with the mids before and didn't use them much. Right from the start he was working the Buzz very nicely and shaping nice lines. It was instant love and this will probably become his main disc. I think you will be fine with the sidewinder once you get some more snap, its pretty understable. It won't be long until you might need a more stable driver.

Good luck with your game, my best advice is that you find some solid players to throw rounds with. You will learn a lot from watching and people seem to play up to the group they are with. My friend who just started 1 month ago is already throwing 300ft+, we just taught him how to throw long annys with an orion ls. The day by day results have been awesome. The support of experienced players has really helped him.

Each time I go to my local course most the people there are really cool and I'm constantly watching and talking to them and it's already helped. =)
Spike wrote:Sounds like a good plan. Z Buzzz is a superdisc. However, it is not a very touchy disc when you're close to the basket (like Comet), it works best at drives and longer approaches. So if you use Buzzz as your only mid, try to use the Dx Aviar as much as you can for the approach shots. It will be good in the long run.

I know what ur saying. I've already started using the Aviar for most of my approach shots. Mainly because the Star Skeeter always bounces off the chains. The DX Aviar sticks VERY well and drops right in the basket. =)
hdchrispy
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion