new to the sport

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

new to the sport

Postby morvlorv » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:26 am

Hey All!
I'm new to the forum and new to the sport!
I have about 4 or 5 rounds under my belt and love it!

I have played every round this a friend of mine that is pro/am player and he says that I have great form, great snap and great arm speed for a noob.

I just got my first quiver of discs and wanted to know what all of you think about my choices...

Maybe ones I should trade/sell, or ones I need to pick up...

Champ Beast - 170 g
Champ Teebird - 172 g
Cheetah - 167 g
Roc - 176 g
R-Pro Skeeter - 171 g
SSS wizzard - 172 g
Avair putter - 173 g

I just got them in the mail yesterday eve, so I havent had a chance to toss them around, but going to the big open field today to get in some practice throws with them all.
morvlorv
Noob

Favorite Disc: not sure yet

Re: new to the sport

Postby MDP » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 am

Good job avoiding the classic beginner mistake of picking a bunch of high speed discs.

You've got a solid start, but we won't be able to give good adice until you throw the discs and let us know how that goes. You don't seem to have too much overlap other than the Wizard and Aviar (I would recommend figuring out which you like better and learning one putter really well). You may want to pick up something more overstable like Firebird or a Predator but depending on your power/speed the TeeBird might be fairly overstable for you.

You'll have to update us after you get some throws in with them.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:14 am

Hi and welcome you found the best site for advice.

Latest model Beast may be too much but i got a friend to toss to 200' with my 166 grammer without much advice at all in his first round. It is more power hungry disc than that so it faded a fair deal considering it is the least fading disc out of the long faster discs. So you have a lot of room to improve with without the need to update drivers until you get to the point where the Beast does not fade early enough and doesn't skip enough to the side. Still the Teebird might do that for you for a long while possibly. When new a Cheetah has some overlap with the Teebird but the longer you use them the less stable the Cheetah will get so you can use it better for annies.

I would not buy new discs for a long while and would concentrate on learning to throw the discs you have well on every line and every throw to every distance in every wind conditions. That takes a long time but you will gain in skills and gain appreciation what kind of properties you would like your next discs to have. You have some good discs in there and frankly if you don't need meathooks in your courses you could do with a Wizard, Roc, Teebird and Beast so long that once you gain the power just get the latest and greatest or the tried and true maximum distance driver and you'd be set for most courses in most weather conditions. As the discs wear you may wanna buy a new disc of the same mold. Perhaps even in the same weight and plastic so that the older one covers less stable flight path requirements and the new one all the goodies you already know.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby morvlorv » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks for the posts guys!

Well I got out to toss them around for a couple days and here is what I think of them.

I was able to throw the Teebird and beast very very well about 9 out of 10 tosses.
I throw right hand sidearm 90% of the time (cant throw backhand to save my life), and with these 2 discs they went very straight and far with a slight left to right turn at the end of the flight.
The teebird also seemed to have an S curve on a lot of throws. Not sure if its designed like this or if its the way I throw it.
But those 2 were by far my best discs and I was able to throw them the best and farthest.
If I had to guess, they are in the 200-250 range. I hope that's decent for about 7 times playing frolf.

I had a tough time throwing the Roc, with only a couple decent throws.
It seemed to turn hard right to left almost out of the hand, and I couldnt get much distance.
Im sure its my form.

The Cheetah was OK, but I didnt throw it a lot because I was throwing the beast and teebird so well, but it seemed similar.

The Skeeter was pretty good too. pretty straight with a bit of a left to right curve at the end. (as long as I didnt try and kill the toss)

The 2 putters seemed really similar and both flew about the same, but I think I like the feel and flight of the wizard a bit more, so I will use that one and get it down.

I would really like to keep tossing the roc, but it was really frustrating not having any good throws with it. Maybe when my form and technique is better I will go back to it.

But for now, I think I will use the Beast, Teebird, Skeeter, and Wizard in my bag.
morvlorv
Noob

Postby Wordgie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:41 pm

I've never been able to get a decent sidearm shot with a Roc. Try a Buzzz.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby MDP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:13 pm

morvlorv wrote:Thanks for the posts guys!

Well I got out to toss them around for a couple days and here is what I think of them.

I was able to throw the Teebird and beast very very well about 9 out of 10 tosses.
I throw right hand sidearm 90% of the time (cant throw backhand to save my life), and with these 2 discs they went very straight and far with a slight left to right turn at the end of the flight.
The teebird also seemed to have an S curve on a lot of throws. Not sure if its designed like this or if its the way I throw it.
But those 2 were by far my best discs and I was able to throw them the best and farthest.
If I had to guess, they are in the 200-250 range. I hope that's decent for about 7 times playing frolf.

Throwing a TeeBird sidearm might give you an "S" curve depending on the weight and how much torque you have on your throw. Ideally a TeeBird should go very straight and then fade to the right just a bit at the end. Focusing on being "quick" (accelerating) rather than throwing fast/hard/strong (speed) might help get a more pure throw. The Beast should actually give a more defined "S" than the TeeBird, but since it's faster you might not have enough power to get to that yet.

morvlorv wrote:I had a tough time throwing the Roc, with only a couple decent throws.
It seemed to turn hard right to left almost out of the hand, and I couldnt get much distance.
Im sure its my form.

Roc's are really touchy sidearm. With really good form you can pull it off, but it's not an easy disc to learn with. The rim is shaped just right that it's easy to catch on your hand during release. As was mentioned a Buzzz is a good alternative if you're set on sidearm for midrange shots.

morvlorv wrote:The 2 putters seemed really similar and both flew about the same, but I think I like the feel and flight of the wizard a bit more, so I will use that one and get it down.

They are fairly similar, but I'm a fan of the Wizard too.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby morvlorv » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:41 pm

yeah, I did notice that larger lip on the Roc, and I'm pretty sure that is exactly what was happening, my fingers/hand were catching that lip and throwing the toss off causing it to be a bad throw.

I will give the buzzz a shot for sure, at least until I learn how to throw the backhand throw with any distance and accuracy.

I was really hoping that Roc was going to be the miracle disc like sooo many say. haha.
In due time I guess, in due time......
morvlorv
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion