Keeping it simple, or at least trying to...

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Keeping it simple, or at least trying to...

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:33 pm

I started an all-Discmania bag a few months ago, mainly for the sake of curiosity. I'm not partial to Discmania, but I ended up really benefiting from dropping my mold-count down low. So far, I really like it, but the bag may be a little too stable for me. I began to adapt by throwing with a touch of anhyzer, especially with PD's. I bet this is probably hurting my form and creating bad habits. I recently added the P PD and Leopards to add some understability.

My max distance is near 350'. I can hit 325' consistently with my PD's and TD's. I can get putters past 200' from a standstill throw. I am working on getting my TD's to flip for me by focusing on snap. I'm also learning to flip my Leopards with accuracy - no problem flipping them, just working on nose angles, etc. to shape lines.

I'm trying to figure out if my S PD and C PD are unique enough to need both in my bag. Same with my C MD2 and S MD2. They seem to fly the exact same as the other. I'll prolly keep both in there to work one to less stable. Any thoughts on mah bag? Like I said, I am not partial to Discmania.

Drivers:
175 C PD - domey
168 S PD - flat-ish
175 P PD - new
173 S TD - flat-ish
175 S TD - least stable

Fairway:
175 Champ Leopard - seasoned
175 Pro Leopard - seasoned

Mids:
175 S GM - overstable
178 C MD2 - stable
179 S MD2 - stable

Putters:
175 S P2 - approach
175 D P2 x4 - putters
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Keeping it simple, or at least trying to...

Postby Whiz » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm

I would say TDs need about 400+ ft. of power to flip them up from a clean hyzer. My C-TD (I think from you) is the easiest to do this with. For an easier disc to hyzer-flip, wear in the P-PD. My P-PDs are my go-to hyzer-flip drivers because of how easy they are to flip once they are beat in. I have been thinking about adding a leopard to the bag as well but I will probably wait until after Worlds in a couple weeks to do so.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Good to see you Saturday morning. I thought you were staying around for league. Thanks for the tip on TD's. Right now, they might be my longest disc for me, and the easiest line-shaping driver. I'll just stop hoping for them to get flippy...for now.

As for P PD's, I picked another one up at league Saturday morning to add to the rotation. I can already notice my first one losing some HSS. I lost that orange one you gave me months ago...that thing was sweet! Not sure why I didn't remember how great of a disc it was sooner. I have a feeling my TD's will be my stable control drivers, with S/C PD's being overstable, and P PD's being understable drivers.

However, this still leaves me at a place where I need something slower than my TD, faster than my MD2, and good at line-shaping. I have enjoyed throwing the 2 used Leopards I picked up the other day, but I feel like they are a bit inconsistent for me.

I might try to find some used Eagle-X's and even an Eagle-L. I'll check back in once I try them out.

Any other suggestions? I want to find a 7-ish speed driver that is a good line-shaping disc and has different plastics.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Whiz » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Eagle X's are stable, even after being somewhat beat, unless they are dx or kc pro. If you want a nice line shaping driver at that speed just pick up a used dx eagle from PIAS off Pineville-Matthews Rd. (I saw one or two there). I would keep at it with the leopards. Give them a chance. If they are inconsistent that is probably only due to how you are throwing them. You probably just need some more time to figure them out. Gazelle's are good line shaping discs at that speed, as are cyclones. There are probably three tourney pro cyclone's at PIAS all for pretty cheap. Very good discs in very nice plastic. It kind of looks like DX plastic but very tacky. There was at least a blue and a tan one there yesterday.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm trying to keep my drivers below speed 10 until I can get more D - currently hitting 350' max. Also trying to add in some fairway drivers to slow the bag down a bit more.

I have most of these discs so far, and plan on picking up the rest in the next few weeks. How does this setup look?

Overstable
-175 CFR C PD
-168 S PD

Stable
-175 P PD (seasoned)
-170 Star Eagle-X
-175 DX Eagle-X

Understable
-175 P PD (beat)
-170 Star Roadrunner (new)
-170 Star Roadrunner (seasoned)

Mids
-175 KC Pro Roc - overstable
-177 DX Roc - straight
-180 P MD2 - further reach
-170 Elite X Comet - understable

Putters
-175 Medium or Soft Wizard
-175 Medium or Soft Magic
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 pm

To keep it going...

(these are all in my bag right now)

Distance
-172 Star Beast - wish I picked one of these up sooner

Overstable
-175 CFR C PD - beefy!
-168 S PD - workable overstable driver

Stable
-175 P PD (seasoned) - seasoning well, straighter PD that won't flip...yet
-173 Star Eagle-X - workable fairway and shorter drives, dependable fade

Understable
-175 P PD (beat) - rollers, hyzerflips with strong fade
-172 Star Roadrunner (new) - more controllable RR
-170 Star Roadrunner (seasoned) - steep hyzerflips, tailwind bomber, powered-down shots
-167 DX Eagle - seasoning well, thumbers for now

Mids
-177 DX Roc (seasoned) - slow and controllable
-180 P MD2 (new) - further reach, glide

Putters
-175 SSS Wizard - main putter
-170 SS Magic - uphill putts, turnover approaches

I'm really liking this lineup. The CFR C PD has seen a lot of action when I need to crank a hard forehand shot. The Beast is really working for me as a distance driver, and I'm not sure why I didn't try one sooner - less fade than most wide-rimmed discs and straighter for me because of the -2 HSS. I also really have liked the addition to Eagles in my bag. They are so dependable and workable on the fairway.

As for the mids, I am still auditioning my Roc to see how it flies over time. It's starting to straighten out really well, but with less power (and more height), it still has a nice dependable fade. I'm keeping both the MD2 and the Roc in there to see how they stack up to each other. So far I like the MD2 for longer midrange shots and the Roc for longer approach shots that need good fade.

Last but not least...I switched to a Wizard/Magic combo today. They seem to have a lot more glide than my P2's - I could be wrong, but I hit the upper band twice today on putts where my P2's would have dropped down into the chains. I love the Magic for uphill putts - money straight, glide, so nice!

Lemme know if you have any thoughts!

on reserve:
175 C PD - domey, overstable
175 P PD - to be rotated in
173 S TD - domey, soft, stable
172 S TD - flat, hard, stable
180 C MD2 - great midrange! deciding between this and Rocs
175 Champ Leo - stable, not as workable as I expected
175 Pro Leo (x2) - flippy
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:45 am

And now I think I am in love with my seasoned DX EX. It's just working so well for me. Here's my re-worked bag.

172 Star Beast - All distance lines
175 CFR C PD - niche shots like thumbers, flex shots and stiff headwinds
168 S PD - overstable, but somewhat workable
175 P PD - lightly seasoned, more workable, stable control
172 Star RR - understable lines

170 DX Eagle-X - new, stable fairway shots
167 DX Eagle-X - seasoned, powered-down fairway and tree-dodging duties - finishes straight in front of me

180 Z Hornet - overstable mid
178 Z Buzzz - stable mid
178 Z Buzzz SS - straighter finishes
170 Opto Fuse - understable mid

175 M Wizard - new, driving/upshots
170 SS Magic - understable driving/upshots
175 SSS Wizard - general putting duties
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion