Has one disc changed your bag forever?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Has one disc changed your bag forever?

Postby barth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 am

I recently had an experience in which I threw a new mold and it changed my bag forever.

- I used to be a strictly Innova thrower, no idea why, I just assumed they were the best and having one brand would make my bag more consistent. I had two dx Rocs I liked the throw, one beat and one close to new. The problem: I was flipping them, especially in the wind, and even when no wind, they were unpredictable for me. I think I just bought them because the legend surrounding the Roc. In the last month, I got tired of not having a dependable midrange so I tried a Z Buzzz. Fell in love. After 5 yrs of playing this is now my favorite disc, I have drivers and putters that have been with me for years and if you asked me to go play 18, CTP, Ace Race, anything, with one disc, there is no hesitation, its going to be my Buzzz. I used to carry 17 discs (8 molds) in a Revolution Pro Bag, I now carry a much smaller Innova Standard bag with 11 discs (5 molds), 3 of these discs being practice putters that don't get thrown after the warm up basket. The Buzzz erased the Roc and 3 other molds in my bag... I shoot more consistent rounds, I throw midrange shots more; now resulting in more accuracy when I can reach distance I never attempted in this type of disc. My control lets me compete and beat my buddies who throw further than me (though I'm looking for an improved driver as you will see in my other post under the Equipment tab haha). Regardless, this disc changed my bag and lowered my scores, it's been the best experience I have had disc golfing other than the first day I fell in love with the game. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience in their disc golf career?
Monster / Avenger / Surge / Valkyrie / Teebird / Drone / Buzzz / Aviar
barth
Tree Magnet

Re: Has one disc changed your bag forever?

Postby Jsw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:21 am

It is pretty common for people who can't handle the Roc to dumb-down to the Buzzz, yes. It usually has something to do with the bead hurting their sensitive little hands :oops:
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby barth » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:32 am

Great take on my post, thanks for the expert input. I'm glad u picked up on the part where I mentioned my hand hurting.
Monster / Avenger / Surge / Valkyrie / Teebird / Drone / Buzzz / Aviar
barth
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:49 am

Forever is a long time and the Axis is about to arrive. I've found great reasons to carrying both the Buzzz and the Roc simultaneously and a Comet wouldn't be an infinitely bad addition either to the setup. New discs arrive and form and power change happens so it is plausible that people do grow out of less stable molds once or twice in their career. I don't think many top players would improve their game massively with an Optimizer or a Stratus :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:46 am

For me, it was a KC Pro Roc. Before that, I didn't have a good, stable midrange and most of my shots were taken with drivers because I didn't know any better. It helped me shape lines, learn snap, aim, and really changed up my game. Once it got a little flippy, I picked up a ESP Buzzz and continued to improve. Now I throw MD2's. So I guess I can't say that I have one disc that has changed my game, but a few that have helped in my progression.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 pm

Comet
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby new013 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:48 pm

the MD2, it's making me rethink my entire mid range game.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Star Shark » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:42 pm

The Star Eagle gave me alot more versatility and wind ability than I had just throwing my TLs. That was rather large.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 pm

keltik wrote:Comet

This. Totally changed my game on short touch holes. You can throw it so gently and still get where you need to go.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:53 pm

JR wrote:Forever is a long time and the Axis is about to arrive.

Man... I hope the Axis lives up to the hype or a lot of people on this site are going to go ballistic judging from how many times I see comments like this.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 pm

keltik wrote:Comet
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 pm

I've heard a lot of criticism about the roc but unpredictable is not usually one of them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby money 21 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 pm

I don't no about one disc changing your bag, however I feel one disc has changed my game. The voodoo has given me confedenc in my putting that I never had before, now I have practiced with the voodoo more then any other putt but is also because it is the most comfortable to me. Another disc that has changed part of my bad is the surge. this is the first drive that i have as much confendence in throwing both FH and BH.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:52 pm

the force is what i throw for all of my distance drives. i can easily throw a nuke farther, but the force is so much more predictable, and i am already so comfortable throwing that mold. im not exactly sure if i really affects the rest of my bag, but it plays an important role
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I've heard a lot of criticism about the roc but unpredictable is not usually one of them.

If his case is like mine, it got flippy and he didn't know what to do with it. That's my story about a year ago. My KC roc started flipping and I didn't think to learn a hyzer with it, so I got a buzzz instead. Great disc, but now I wish I stuck with the roc, or got a new one, simply for the sake of learning touch shots and hyzer.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion