FTT's (slower) bag project

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's (slower) bag project

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Taking out the eagle and going with the FD means you'll have your two main drivers, the PD and FD, excelling at the same thing which is locking into lines instead of working S curves.

True. I'll keep the EX's in there until I have time to learn the FD's and see how they work together or not. Oh, and my RR's and Wraiths work lines really well, just at higher speeds (obviously).

CatPredator wrote:Why no KC Pro Aviar!?

I briefly skimmed the thread and saw a lot of different disc names. Many of which have a lot of internet hype. You just need to pick a few and learn to throw 'em. Switching to the FD or Fuse or Flow or MD2 or w/e the fuck people are crushing on at the time won't help your game long term. It is fun to buy shiny discs though...

Yeah, I've definitely run the gamut of molds, but like I mentioned above, I'm settling (mostly) on what I have here. While most of my bag follows the hype, i actually like these molds because I know them well and they work well for me.

And I've been thinking about KC Aviars, but I've had some good luck with my DX Aviars recently.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CatPredator » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:While most of my bag follows the hype, i actually like these molds because I know them well and they work well for me.

And I've been thinking about KC Aviars, but I've had some good luck with my DX Aviars recently.

There's hype because they're all good molds. But that's sort of the point, there are a million good molds out there.

DX Aviars are also awesome. I carry both. Both in terms of stability and durability/grip, the KCs are a perfect fit between the Rhyno and DX Aviar.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:37 pm

CatPredator wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:While most of my bag follows the hype, i actually like these molds because I know them well and they work well for me.

There's hype because they're all good molds. But that's sort of the point, there are a million good molds out there.

DX Aviars are also awesome. I carry both. Both in terms of stability and durability/grip, the KCs are a perfect fit between the Rhyno and DX Aviar.

Yeah, it's tough to navigate all the molds out there. Thankfully, I managed to sort through dozens of molds in the used bins of PIAS...saved me a few bones during the last year so I didn't have to buy new plastic. Also, found a few discs on courses with no names/numbers (like the Flow I found a few months ago, then traded), so that helped feed the addiction :D

Anyway, I do feel like im done with changing my bag around. The only molds I might add are KC Aviars and maybe FD's...but that's debatable since EX's do everything I need in Champ, Star, and DX. Everything I am throwing is pretty easy to replicate if lost and I am growing more and more comfortable with them.

EDIT: might just take my Ion and put it back in the bag instead of spending money and time on finding good KC Aviars. Talked to a friend today who reminded me most of the current runs are slick.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Taking out the eagle and going with the FD means you'll have your two main drivers, the PD and FD, excelling at the same thing which is locking into lines instead of working S curves.

Here's a thought - what about Leo's in my fairway slots? They are significantly slower than PD's and don't have the same overlap problems with PD's like Eagles do. And they are line-shaping machines.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby fanter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Here's a thought - what about Leo's in my fairway slots? They are significantly slower than PD's and don't have the same overlap problems with PD's like Eagles do. And they are line-shaping machines.

Do you feel like you're missing some shots with your Eagle setup? Between various Eagles I've never felt at a loss for fairway duties. I'd think with Leos you might actually experience some overlap with your MD2's, which happened to me between Leopards and Buzzzes. PD's are still noticeably faster than Eagles and lock onto lines easier, in my experience.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Not really. I was just wanting to shy away from overlap with PD's. But that's a good point on the MD2/Leo overlap.

Sticking with what I have. Added a few backups.

2 Wraiths - 168 Star and Pro - distance lines
2 PDs - 175 flat C-line, 168 S-line - thumbers, wind, forehand, and overstable stuff
2 Roadrunners - 166 Star, 171 Champ - turnovers and tailwinds
6 Eagle-X's - 170 Champ, 2x 168 Star, 3x 166 DX - all fairway duties
1 Gator - 175 CFR - utility mid
4 MD2's - 180 C-line, 174 P-line, 2x 180 D-line - all mid shots
2 Rhynos - 175 Champ, 166 Pro - forehand and tricky approaches
3 Aviar P&A's - 171 Star, 2x 171 DX - driving and putting
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Leos don't need to overlap with MD2s and Leos are great. If you abide by the 80% top power rule even the MD2 will fade. Leo certainly will, but a Leo at 80 % is more forgiving than the MD2 at 100% out to about the same distance. As long as you can control the power input fly bys with Leos shouldn't be a problem out to 100 % power distance of the MD2. how it suits your game and if you can hyzer Leos for even more distance capping for easier distance control is up to you and how your skills are and which skills you want to develop. Leo is such a great discs that i would give it an honest try.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:59 pm

Edit: nevermind what I just said. I'll see if I can find a good one and give it a shot.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:29 am

Has anyone thrown echo* Leopards? How do they fly compared to Star when new and seasoned?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:26 am

Where you getting your D MD2s from?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Disc Golf Values had 4 leftover from the DGR run, so I got 2 of them. Really looking forward to throwing these once the arctic winds give it a rest.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:35 am

Dang... I guess that's what I get for going away... I didn't even know we had done DGR D-MD2's...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 am

Niether did I. And then someone on here clued me in to it, so I emailed Mark and DGV. They might still have 2 left, unless someone else got them already. One thing I have found is that the P-line MD2's will break in to straight a lot faster than my gummy, opaque C-line's, but don't become flippy. I'm hoping these D-lines will do the trick.

Bought a few more backups. I think I have a stock of about 28 discs. Potentially sticking with this lineup for a while (not putting an exact limit on it) - Wraith, PD, Roadrunner, Eagle-x, Leopard, Gator, MD2, Rhyno, Ion, Aviar. 10 molds is a bit more than I wanted, but PD's are just so stinkin good and work well with my EX's, I only have one Gator that I use for niche midrange shots, and Ions just couldn't stay out of my bag.

Still open to hear what others might say about slimming down my bag. My plan from here on out is to change my bag for the course, and take anywhere from 15-18 discs, but molds will generally stay the same in each bag setup.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 pm

A P PD will eventually wear to fly like a faster Eagle X so it may be able to take over that spot eventually.

I read speculation about ES Star plastic here that at first it had CE in it and it was sold before most realized and not the regular stuff in ES doesn't produce discs with more HSS and LSS than the CE containing grippiers ES discs. I can't confirm or den because i don't think i won early ones. My ES Leo is weight for weight the same or slightly less HSS than regular Star Leo.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:23 pm

I'll be interested to see how my ES Wraith and ES Leo fly for me once they arrive. I'm hoping they will break in faster than Star. As for the P PD's replacing Eagles, I could see that happening in the future. Right now I need to work on consistency and distance with EX's before making a switch. The two PD's I have in my bag have niche roles, so they don't see too much action compared to my EX's -- S PD = forehand drives, and flat C PD = thumbers, etc.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion