FTT's (slower) bag project

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's (slower) bag project

Postby money 21 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:07 pm

a disc i would recomend to you would be the xs. the x is a longer tl and the z is a longer eagle. they are very easy to control and are a former distance record holder until the valk broke is.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:34 am

Let me clarify my statement about my eagles, because I think I made it sound like it was diving left immediately. Honestly, I never really gave the eagle a chance on distance drives. The few that I took with it were pretty unsuccessful, but not because of the disc. I'm adjusting my form and I botched it a few times. So really, my statement of "the eagle fades too hard" was more my angst for my disc diving into the woods on a few holes during league play - a fault of my own.

I think I'll stick to a TB / Leo combo or TB / TL. I used to throw a teebird back when I first got into league play, a little less than a year ago, so I'm hoping it will be an easy switch back. Also, some advice I got when I first started was "learn to throw teebirds, rocs, and aviars, and just stick with them." So if an experience player suggested a noob pick up a Teebird, then I think I will have an easier time with it now that I have a year of experience under my belt. Like I said, my decision to drop the Eagle was not based on the disc being too stable, but on me not throwing it right.

Also, can anyone tell me if the champ teebirds are noticeably beefier than star? I thought I heard some time ago (when the plus molds came out) that they were not more stable, but less. (I wouldn't want a plus mold anyway)

EDIT: picked up an x-out champ tb @170g for $10, so ill answer my own question in the field. Up next: 170 Star TB and Leo
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:48 pm

I ran some auditions for the bag today in the field. I ended up with 7 discs + 2 putters. The only thing I think I am missing is a heavier Fuse. None of my discs are seasoned yet since I switched my bag up. I do have seasoned discs, but they didn't fit my criteria for slowing it down. I'll adapt and add new ones as these season, so In the future I could see myself adding another River or two and another star TB.

Any thoughts on the bag so far?

175 CFR C PD - meathook, niche shots
170 Champ TB - brand new, overstable, headwind distance
170 Star TB - brand new, stable control, more workable
169 GL River - brand new, (almost) understable, distance
178 Z Buzzz - stable mid
178 Z Buzzz SS - straighter buzzz
170 Opto Fuse - understable mid
175 M Wizard - driving/approach
175 SSS Wizard - putting

On good throws with my Teebirds I was getting what seems like 300-325' of D. I've got some work to do. The River had more distance potential, as expected. I'll play with this lineup on the course to see how it goes.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 pm

The 7 disc + 2 putter bag worked really well on the course! My River started to show its understable side after a few tree hits and with the help of some wind. I'm loving my Teebirds. Not much to say, other than I really like where I am at with this bag, and I am glad I slowed it down. I was getting 350' on drives today with the River and a few with my Star Teebird.

Overall I shot an 850 rated round on one of the tougher courses in Charlotte (Eastway), which I guess is pretty good for a guy who plays once or twice a week and never competes.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 pm

So Hurricane Irene decided to make landfall three hours east of Charlotte. It made for a windy morning at my league, but not too bad. After a second round with the bag, I am feeling even more comfortable with this lineup.

I switched out the CFR C PD for my production run C PD. It seems to fit my power level much better. Still considering a beefy 175 Champ TB instead to get the mold count lower.

The SSS Wiz was just a bit too soft for me and I found the M's to glide much better and take a cleaner release. I'm also gonna try out my Roadrunner in the distance slot to see if it will carry further than my River.

172 Star Roadrunner - distance
175 C PD - very overstable
170 Champ Teebird - overstable
170 Star Teebird - stable control
169 GL River - understable
178 Z Buzzz - stable mid
178 Z Buzzz SS - neutral mid
170 Opto Fuse - understable mid
175 M Wizard x3 - one for putting, two for approach/driving rotation
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Update on distance - I tossed a few for max D after a round today. I could be off on these because the field I threw in had no references for distance. On the course today I did go 10' past a 370' hole with my 170 Star Teebird, so I'm basing my distances on how far I can get my TB.

172 Star Roadrunner - big sweeping turns out to what seems like 380'. I might not keep it because of how much height and room it needs to reach that far.

169 GL River - tighter turn than the RR out to what also seemed like 380'. The glide is so nice!

170 Star Teebird - 370' or so, with a bit of L-R movement before fading forward.

175 C PD - 350' backhand, 330' forehand. Stable and definitely my headwind driver

Am I at a place where a faster driver would help me reach further effectively? (I don't want to sacrifice much in terms of accuracy just to go 400') Or should I keep up with my TB till I can reach 400' before moving to something like a Valkyrie or Wraith?

I'm getting my Wizards past 200' from the fairway without much trouble. I'm also starting to use them exclusively for all shots under 250' that don't need a strong fade at the end. It's helping my game tremendously.

I love the way my Buzzz's feel in the hand, but they tend to glide out just a little too far. I'm wondering if this is something I need to adjust on my end, or if I should try another mid. I just love the shallow grip. 2 177 GL Fuses just arrived today, and once I get some time with them I'll think more about the mid slot. And now with the Axis coming into production, I might have some midrange auditions.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:09 pm

I put my 173 S TD back in the bag. It's somewhat gummy, and I'm hoping it will break in to be a true understable disc. I already get a little bit of turn on a 350' throw. It fills a gap I have in stability really well.

Also added in my seasoned 168 S PD to see how it handles as my overstable driver and my 172 Star Roadrunner as my understable driver until my softer TD breaks in more. I feel like I'm backpedaling from my original objective of slowing my bag down, but since PD's power down so well, I'm gonna give it a shot for a few weeks.

I'm removing my 170 Champ Teebird because of how redundant it seems between my 175 C PD and 170 Star Teebird, and now my 168 S PD.

I'm also waiting for my River to get understable on me. It holds a gentle turnover really well, but even at 350' of power I can't seem to make it turn like I think it should. It is fairly new though.

Lastly, still learning my Fuses and River. So far, so good.

Drivers
175 C PD - very overstable duties, forehand and headwind distance
168 S PD - overstable duties, more workable than my C PD
173 S TD - stable control, working in to understable to replace RR
172 Star Roadrunner - understable distance
170 Star Teebird - go-to driver, stable control w/ more fade than TD
169 GL River - still stable, waiting for it to break in, holds a gentle anhyzer really well

Midrange/Putters
178 Z Buzzz - go-to midrange
178 Z Buzzz SS - turning midrange with dependable fade, not flippy under 300'
177 GL Fuse - blue, slightly more stable of my two fuses
177 GL Fuse - pink, less stable of the two, great on low-power lines and touch shots
175 M Wizard x3 - one for driving, approach and putting
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:27 pm

I managed to shoot my best round ever today. Not sure what the round rating was, but it was 2 under at Renaissance Black, here in Charlotte.

EDIT: someone on the local forum said it was 1008! woohoo!

I found out that I really like my seasoned S-TD's for accurate drives that need to turn late in the flight. I also found out that my Star Teebird like to hold a steady right turn with a touch of anny on a RHBH throw and still fade well, giving me some of the longest AND most accurate drives to date for me. I put my TB, TD, and River all within 10 feet of each other off the tee of a hole that needs really good placement and distance, so I think I have them somewhat figured out :D Anyway, I'm definitely stoked after my round. The only thing I might change in the near future is replacing Buzzz's with an Axis or two, and possibly switching Wizards for Ions...maybe.

Drivers
175 C PD - very overstable
168 S PD - overstable
172 S TD - stable control
175 S TD -understable
170 Star Teebird - stable fairway
169 GL River - understable fairway

Midrange/Putters
178 Z Buzzz - stable mid
177 GL Fuse - neutral mid
177 GL Fuse - understable mid
175 M Wizard x3 - one for driving, approach and putting

More importantly, the colors of my disc are as follows, in the same order as above

Yellow
Green
Blue
Orange
Fire Orange
Orange
Yellow
Blue
Pink
White
White
White
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Anyone think it's too soon to step up to a faster driver, strictly for max D, something around speed 11 or 12 with an understable flight path? I feel like I am maxing out at 350' to 375' depending on the day and the wind. I have some form issues to work out, and might try to post a video in the technique section soon, but I feel like I am getting good snap and have decent form.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Nope, not gonna make the jump. Sticking to Teebirds. Thinking of a Vision or Valk for max D. Any thoughts on this?

Im toying with the idea of working my bag to look like this:
(discs I dont have are bold)

165-167 DX Teebird rotation (maybe 4 or 5, keeping 2 in the bag) - Max D
175 Champ Banshee - Very Overstable

170 Champ Teebird - Overstable
170 Star Teebird -Stable Control
173 GL River - (less) Understable
169 GL River - Understable

177 Vector - Overstable
177 Axis - Neutral

177 GL Fuse - Understable

175 Wizard x3
OR
175 Ion x3

I might grab a TL to see how it fits in there.
Last edited by Fightingthetide on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:01 pm

You're right around the same power level as me, maybe a tad longer. I just switched from Firebirds to a Champ Banshee and it may have been the best thing I've ever done. MUCH more useable than the Firebird and still covers what I needed the Firebird for. I don't have a River, just use teebirds and leo's, and have rocs and md2's as my mids though I'm thinking about trying out all 3 of the MVP molds now as well. Looks like we're in the same neighborhood. How do you do neighbor? :-P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:20 am

Awesome. I'll look into finding a good Banshee soon. Let's get up for a round sometime. I'll need another week or two to heal up from throwing my back out this past week. Where do you normally play?

And does anyone know if lighter discs truly carry further (assuming ideal, calm wind conditions)? I wonder if at a certain point you would need more weight to carry the momentum forward - like throwing a ping pong ball vs throwing a baseball.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:34 am

I typically just get to play the Rock Hill courses, and not as often as I'd like. Winthrop Lake and Boyd Hill when I can, and some of the school courses when I have less time and/or the wife wants to play.

Oh and the neighborhood comment was cause of the similar disc selection, I had not paid any attention to you being from Charlotte LOL
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:I typically just get to play the Rock Hill courses, and not as often as I'd like. Winthrop Lake and Boyd Hill when I can, and some of the school courses when I have less time and/or the wife wants to play.

Oh and the neighborhood comment was cause of the similar disc selection, I had not paid any attention to you being from Charlotte LOL

Haha thats funny. I thought you were referring to the fact that we live near each other. Shoot me a PM if you come up this way for a round.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
Crosseyed0811 wrote:I typically just get to play the Rock Hill courses, and not as often as I'd like. Winthrop Lake and Boyd Hill when I can, and some of the school courses when I have less time and/or the wife wants to play.

Haha thats funny. I thought you were referring to the fact that we live near each other. Shoot me a PM if you come up this way for a round.

Will do. Hit Alpine today at lunch, bought an Ion and the last Axis they had, they have lots of Ions left and several Vectors... I'll let you know what I think about these two
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion