Critique this bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Critique this bag

Postby jhilton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:51 pm

So I can throw my Teebirds 325 or so, my Rocs like 270 to give you an idea of power. I throw RHBH for 90% of shots, RHFH for the rest. I want to carry less molds than I do currently, and see where I might have overlap. Give me some advice.

Here is the list, working up in speed.

Aviar PnA (x2), Rhyno, Cobra, Roc (x2), Buzzz, Teebird (x2), Firebird, Sidewinder, SL (x2), Orc, Archon, TeeRex, Katana

Thoughts?
jhilton
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Critique this bag

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:19 pm

What do you use your drivers for?

I would say pick either Roc or Buzzz. which you pick is an exercise in DG existentialism.

The SL and Orc overlap. I'm actually not sure why Innova kept both molds. The Archon also overlaps with both of them at your power level.

I can't really speak on the TeeRex but it would appear to be speed overstable for you power level. but if you use it for FH it may serve your needs better. this is why I ask what you use all these discs do for you. I can't comment on the Katana either.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Here is what would be helpful - List the weight and condition of each disc, what you use it for, and how it flies for you.

Typically, a good bag has 5 driver molds. Here is what I would do if I were you, based on what you have:

Distance - Sidewinder, only if it shows some high speed turn. You have a lot of overlap with faster drivers. Keep them, but don't use them right now until you improve your distance and accuracy.

Very Overstable - Firebird...unless it's uselessly overstable. In that case, get a Banshee. I have one and love it for this spot.

Moderately Overstable - Teebird, depending on the weight and plastic. If it's a heavier star or champ, and hasn't lost it's stability, use it here. Otherwise, get a heavier champ Teebird to fill this spot

Stable Control - Teebird...use the less stable of the two. This disc should be easy to control and should favor placement and line-shaping over distance.

Understable - Sidewinder, once again, only if it shows high speed turn. If it doesnt, get a pro Leopard.

As for mids, you want one that is stable and will finish with some fade, one that is easy to work lines with, and one that will turn right from a flat throw (kinda optional). You can probably get away with learning to use one mid on all three lines. This would make you learn the disc really well and will realllly improve your game. If your Cobra is DX, you could beat it in and use it as your understable mid. You don't need an overstable mid.

As for putters, use the Aviar on all putting and approach shots. Any shot under 100' that doesn't need a lot of fade should be taken with the Aviar. Rhynos are a great overstable putters that you could use for approach shots that need a bit more fade. However, I personally would stick with the Aviar.

And for what its worth, many people will swear by the classic setup of Teebird, Roc, Aviar. Don't throw the faster stuff (anything faster than your Sidewinder) until you can get your Teebird past 350' to 375'...and some would even say 400'.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jhilton » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Weights and uses

Putters
Aviars (2) DX 175 Grams - 80% of putting and approach shots
Rhyno DX 175 Grams - Windy day putting, approach shots that need a fade

Mids
Cobra DX 177 Grams - Turnover mid shots
Buzzz Cryztal 175 Grams - Straight mid shots to 280 or so, tunnel shots
Roc (2) Star 175 Grams - Mid shots with some fade at the end

Fairways
Teebird 1 Star 166 Grams - Straight Fairway Shots under 330ish
Teebird 2 Champion 175 Grams - Fairway shots that need good fade, wind under 325ish

Drivers
Firebird Champion 163 Grams - 300' meathook, Hyzer spike, utility
Sidewinder Champion 168 Grams - Turnover drives 350'
SL (2) Star 171 Grams - Straight drives 360ish
Orc Champion 171 Grams - Slightly Overstable drives 360ish

Max D Drivers
Archon Star 168 Grams - 380ish Turnover back to stable drives
TeeRex Star 175 Grams - 380ish Hyzer Bomber
Katana Star 165 Grams - Open space max D disc, turns over the comes back, 400ish
jhilton
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:29 am

Sounds like you have more D and more experience than I gave you credit for. Sorry about that.

The first thing I would suggest is picking between Buzzz's and Rocs just to minimize your mold count. Also, have you ever thrown a Fuse? Get a GL Fuse with moderate dome, and you have yourself a premium plastic, super glidey, understable mid. It won't be as flippy as a DX Cobra, but it will be really predictable. It will compliment your Buzzz really well.

As for the rest of your bag, I can't say I would change much, considering your D and the uses you get out of each disc. Except maybe drop the Orc and use the SL. You should have your straight to overstable slots covered between the SL and the Teerex.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CatPredator » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am

I'd suggest an understable fairway driver like a Leopard or seasoned TL. They are so incredibly money for straight hyzer flips and distance turnovers at your power level, and beyond. I know the Sidewinder and SL, and to a lesser extent Archon and Katana, kind of serve that purpose now, but a Leopard or TL will probably be much more accurate and controllable, and just as long as all those other discs. They're really a joy to throw.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby keltik » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:21 am

jhilton wrote:Weights and uses
Drivers
Firebird Champion 163 Grams - 300' meathook, Hyzer spike, utility
Sidewinder Champion 168 Grams - Turnover drives 350'
SL (2) Star 171 Grams - Straight drives 360ish
Orc Champion 171 Grams - Slightly Overstable drives 360ish

Max D Drivers
Archon Star 168 Grams - 380ish Turnover back to stable drives
TeeRex Star 175 Grams - 380ish Hyzer Bomber
Katana Star 165 Grams - Open space max D disc, turns over the comes back, 400ish

now that we have this, I would say: Pick one B/w the SL/Orc/Archon. Form improvements would cover that extra 20'. All three can handle the same shots. you may want to try an Star SL/Champ Starfire combo. That would take out the Orc and Teerex and Archon.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby jhilton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks for all the help!

I definately need to decide between Roc and Buzzz. I think I am leaning in the direction of Buzzz. What would be the most stable Buzzz I could get, to drop the rocs off and still get that nice fade at the end (my current buzzz flies dead straight to slight turnover)?

Think the suggeston to pick between SL/ORC/ARCHON maybe a good one. There is a lot of overlap there.

I had a leopard but didn't quite like it. It was champ though and maybe I would prefer the grip fo star there.

I am definately looking for a different understable mid. I hate the Cobra, too flippy. I throw it on water holes, but would like a more dependable mid. I'l check out the Fuse. What about a Buzzz SS?
jhilton
Noob

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 am

keltik wrote:now that we have this, I would say: Pick one B/w the SL/Orc/Archon. Form improvements would cover that extra 20'. All three can handle the same shots. you may want to try an Star SL/Champ Starfire combo. That would take out the Orc and Teerex and Archon.

+1

jhilton wrote:Thanks for all the help!

I definately need to decide between Roc and Buzzz. I think I am leaning in the direction of Buzzz. What would be the most stable Buzzz I could get, to drop the rocs off and still get that nice fade at the end (my current buzzz flies dead straight to slight turnover)?

Get a max weight Glo Buzzz. They tend to be the most stable Buzzz's out there. Throw with more hyzer when needed.

jhilton wrote:I had a leopard but didn't quite like it. It was champ though and maybe I would prefer the grip fo star there.

Get a Star and a Pro. You will love the grip and the flight you will get from both, with the pro becoming less stable than the star once you knock into a few trees.

jhilton wrote:I am definately looking for a different understable mid. I hate the Cobra, too flippy. I throw it on water holes, but would like a more dependable mid. I'l check out the Fuse. What about a Buzzz SS?

Nope. Get a Fuse. The Buzzz SS And the Buzzz are too similar. The Fuse has a ton more glide and will actually turn right from a flat throw, where a Buzzz SS will just hold a straight line longer than a Buzzz of comparable wear, plastic, and weight. I throw 2 177 GL Fuses, one is more stable than the other, but both will turn right at the end of their flight when thrown flat, or flip up from a slight hyzer.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion