A step up from a Wraith?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

A step up from a Wraith?

Postby Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 pm

I picked up my first disc 6 months ago and have been addicted ever since.

It took me a while to get a max weight champ valk to do what it's supposed to but I'm finally getting that big S curve and getting good distance out of it.
Just recently I found the arm to get a 175 champion Wraith (fairly beat, I found it) to start getting some high speed turn and I'll even flip it from time to time.
I have a champion firebird for those really windy days but I was wondering what the next step up from a Wraith is?
I'm looking for something that will always come back and fight well into the wind, but also be a little further than the wraith/valk for those wide open holes where I have unlimited room.

I was thinking star destroyer.

Any other suggestions?
Taylor
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: A step up from a Wraith?

Postby Taylor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Just for a reference point, I'm probably getting close to 400' with the valk and Wraith. They seem to be pretty similar in distance if i have the room for the valk to move right
Taylor
Noob

Postby Star Shark » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50 am

Destroyer sounds like your ticket.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby turso » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:45 am

Get a ~170g Pro destroyer.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Dig It » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:16 am

Wow, only 6 months playing and a Wraith is already not enough disc for you.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Taylor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

Dig It wrote:Wow, only 6 months playing and a Wraith is already not enough disc for you.

I'm 20 years young and have a background in ultimate, so frisbee wasn't a new concept to me. But it still took a lot of work to get this distance drives up to speed. The wraith used to be exclusively hyzer and not very far at that.

Will the Pro destroyer beat into something flippy for max D? Thus needing me to buy another one to fight wind and stay stable?
Taylor
Noob

Postby Dig It » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 am

Taylor wrote:
Dig It wrote:Wow, only 6 months playing and a Wraith is already not enough disc for you.

I'm 20 years young and have a background in ultimate, so frisbee wasn't a new concept to me. But it still took a lot of work to get this distance drives up to speed. The wraith used to be exclusively hyzer and not very far at that.

Will the Pro destroyer beat into something flippy for max D? Thus needing me to buy another one to fight wind and stay stable?

You could always try a brand new Wraith (Champ/Star) for a more stable version of it's beat self, and I would suggest doing that if you liked the feel of the Wraith and not so much the drivers who's wings are getting bigger and bigger.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, then go for the Destroyer.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby kevind » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

New wraith is what your looking for, i throw em in pro and always have 1 fresh and 1 beat in the bag.
wizard, qms, roc, eagle-x ,valk, OLF
kevind
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm

I also suggest another Wraith, something like a 170-ish Star Wraith, preferably in the stiffest possible Star plastic you can find. This will start over-stable and beat in straighter and straighter. Keep both Wraiths in your bag, as they will complement one another.

Note also that, in the evolution of many disc golfer's throwing techniques, we often first learn to flip a disc over by torquing it off-axis, which makes the disc wobble off-axis out of your hand. This wobbling will dissipate with time as the disc flies. The time it takes for the wobble to dissipate depends on the disc, the plastic, and the amount of wobble at release. For a Wraith, it takes about 2 seconds for this wobble to dissipate, which is relatively fast. Anyways, while it is wobbling, the disc "flips" over quickly, but then once the wobble is gone it settles into a straighter (more stable) flight. The Wraith is very forgiving to being torqued over (and to release errors in general), which is the main reason it is an excellent choice for a golf driver.

But, what you really want to have in the long run is a throw that is clean and has no wobble. This is because it isn't always easy to control the torquing of the disc over, and there is a bit of randomness to whether it will settle into the line you want. You'll get much more reproducible throws without torquing it over. Without off-axis torque (OAT), the only way you can get a disc to turn over is to get it over its stable cruising speed. Then as it slows it will straighten and then begin to hyzer as it slows further.

In order to eliminate OAT from your throws you will need to drill with some discs that are far more sensitive to OAT on long throws, such as putters and some mid-range discs. The most OAT-sensitive disc that you can learn to throw well over 300' if you can eliminate OAT is the Comet. You might want to try that out for a while, maybe play catch in a field with one, focusing on clean release and smooth form. Then go back and apply that to your Wraith, and I think you'll get a beautiful result, and also be able to drop many strokes off your round total.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion