What do get for my bag (new member)

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What do get for my bag (new member)

Postby Travis L » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

I've been playing frisbee golf for 5-6 years now, but not very often. Maybe 3-4 times a year. I was just busy with other things, and didn't have a lot of people to play with. I own a few disc, but always just used what I had. I tend to use a long range driver, when an upshot would do. I've been using the correct disc more, and my game has improved, I just want suggestions on what I need.

Long range: Avenger SS (given as a christmas gift this year. Really a bit to unstable for me, so I doesn't get much use besides practicing
Z Xpress I use this as a long range driver. I can control it, but I'm not careful enough it it gets away from me to the left (I throw RHBH)
2 champion eagles (168 and 173). I bought 1 eagle before the xpress, and thow the xpress better. I found the second eagle 2 days ago.
Z Breeze I like this disc. I used to just throw the xpress on midrange shots, but I always use a midrange now if I'm withing striking distance.
Z putter-no complaints, but its the only putter I've really tried besides a putter I used to own made by lighting.

So that is my bag. Due to poor form and the disc always going to the left, I bought under stable disc to fix the problems. The good news is my form is better so I can throw straighter. I really don't throw very far either. I had a shot last week land on the tee 180' out. I can problably hit 220 or so, but i risk bad form if I try too hard.

So where would you guys start on improving my bag. I know a fairway driver is the first thing I need, so I can quit using the xpress on shorter shots, but what else do you recommend?

Thanks.
Travis L
Noob

Re: What do get for my bag (new member)

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Start by getting a good midrange. A good mid will be the workhorse of your entire bag and right now you have none. Also, at your current distance a mid will probably go almost as far as any of your drivers for you with a little practice.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JR » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm

A gliding fast mid or a in between mid to fairway driver could work. Warship and Scout are long mids and Squall is pretty long for a tweener. A Kite may pop up high at higher power levels but is probably ok for you. The Kite is unique in dome height and may be off putting grip wise. I would think a Stalker would fade out too hard for you. Out of fairway drivers Leopards are good bets. I haven't thrown the Express so i don't know if that would work with a Leo. IIRC they overlap. Maybe a light Gold line River could work for you. A max weight probably fades out too hard. Maybe a Diamond could work. Lightweight disc with low fade, great glide and low power requirement. Should suit your power fine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Travis L » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the resposnses. I bought a discraft buzz and I'll try it out this week, and stick to midranges until my throwing improves.

I went to an open field the other day and was throwing a mid equally as far as a driver, so it proved that at this point the disk won't add distance on its own. (plus I was more accurate with a mid)
Travis L
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion