Trying To Build A Bag Properly - Please HELP!!!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trying To Build A Bag Properly - Please HELP!!!

Postby cody22 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:16 am

I have been playing socially for about 4 yrs, during that time I used a champion monarch(175) for RHFH drives and BH approach and DX Birdie(175) for putting... About 3 months ago I started to play more seriously, getting to my local(TC Jester) course 5-10 times a week. I'm addicted!!! So I started reading the forums to see what kind of disc I should be throwing to build solid form and accuracy. I have been slowing adding, but here is what I got and what I am seeing the disc do... Just this week I started breaking 300ft... Please help me out, thanks...

Distance Drivers-Not throwing these too often because they don't go any farther then my fairway, I read to leave these at home until you fairway drives are going 350+ feet accurately????
1 Champion Valkyrie (171) - it holds a nice S-line, going about 300-320max
1 Champion Monarch (175) - use it for rollers/forehand drive, nice fade at the end

Fairway Drivers-Use these for all my Driving - Max 300-320ft
1 DX Teebird (171) - This is my goto driver, it hold a really nice strait line with just a little fade at the end
1 DX Wraith (167) - I think this is suppose to be a distance driver?? but I use is for anhyzer shots, it almost always goes right

Mid-Range-I am very consistently getting 250-300ft with good accuracy
1 DX Roc (168) - I love this disc! It flies perfectly strait if I release flat, but it shows me every-time I mess my form up. Use it for long puts too sometimes.
1 Z Buzz (167) - I got this and the roc at the same time because they are so popular on the forum and I wanted to see which I liked better... I like it, flies strait with a little fade at the end, i think it might be my form though...
Need Something Under Stable I Think??

Putters-Most improved part of my game, making everything 50ft in and getting close on anything 100ft in...
2 Omega SuperSoft (171 & 175) - I Absolutely LOVE the 175, it took a stroke off my game for each hole, but it is a little overstable and it drops at the end... I thought that it might be a bad idea to keep putting with it because it is so complicated to throw... Shouldn't a putter fly strait and consistent?
1 DX Aviar (172) - Just picked this up a few days ago, but it seems to fly strait and far... Not nearly as soft as the Omega and I feel like it bounces off the chains

I read that the Teebird and Roc were solid to perfect technique because they show all your mistakes... I also cut my power down and I am slowly increasing while trying to keeping my accuracy... I throw mostly BH and I am getting a little better at my x-step. If I throw full power FH I can get the CE Monarch 350+ but not very accurate. I read that I should stay around 165-170 weight on everything except the putter(max on those) I am really curious about what weights to get???
Disc I've been considering: DX/CE/Pro Leopard, Wizard SS, X Comet, Z Wasp, A Variety of Roc's, Star Aviar...

Any recommendation will be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Cody

I am definitely a noobie, but I have been playing for about 4 years off&on, but have been hooked over the last 3 months! Any Suggestions on disc are welcome, but I am still learning to throw so nothing too advanced.

Current Bag:Champion Valkyrie, Champion Monarch, DX Teebird, DX Wraith, New DX Roc, Z Buzz, Omega SS, New DX Aviar
, DX Birdie
cody22
Noob

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Re: Trying To Build A Bag Properly - Please HELP!!!

Postby TLapham » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I'll give this a try.

I'd also suggest holding out on warp speed discs until you can get a Teebird out to atleast 350. I'd recommend having a few Teebirds in the bag.

Champ OR Star Teebird. (Whichever plastic you prefer)- Moderately Overstable
DX Teebird- Straight
DX Teebird (beat up)- Understable

The wraith is a warp speed driver. I'd guess it's going right because it's pretty beat up. Get a DX Teebird to that stage and you'll forget all about the Wraith.

Next up Midranges. Can't go wrong with either the Buzzz or Roc. Sounds like you like the Roc a little better, so go with that.

DX Roc (New)- Moderately Overstable
DX Roc (Seasoned)- Straight
DX Roc (Beat)- Understable aka thing of beauty.

I'll bet you're seeing a pattern here! Do the same with whichever putter you prefer.

Once you simplify your bag and learn each discs full potential you'll see your scores dropping. I'm a big fan of keeping your bag simple. Once your power level increases you can add a disc that is more overstable than the premium plastic Teebird for wind duties. At your current power level I don't think it's necessary yet. These discs are staples in most pros bags and I highly recommend learning with them.

3x Teebird
3x Roc
3x Putter of choice

Good Luck!
-Trade List
-My Bag (Always looking for backups):

Pred | Force | DD2 | Teebird | Buzzz | Wizard
TLapham
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: CE Teebird

Postby cody22 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 am

Thanks for the comment...

I am definitely picking up a few more Teebirds and Rocs this week. Do you have any suggestions on weights for the drivers?
Cody

I am definitely a noobie, but I have been playing for about 4 years off&on, but have been hooked over the last 3 months! Any Suggestions on disc are welcome, but I am still learning to throw so nothing too advanced.

Current Bag:Champion Valkyrie, Champion Monarch, DX Teebird, DX Wraith, New DX Roc, Z Buzz, Omega SS, New DX Aviar
, DX Birdie
cody22
Noob

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 am

hitting everything inside 50? damn son. i think you are beyond noob status.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby osborne » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 am

If you have a play it again sports or a used disc shop in the area you may be able to purchase a pre beat teebird and rock to start you off. This will allow you to make those anny shots while you wait for your newer plastic to beat in.
xd-buzzz-meteor-drone-teebird-firebird-blizzard destroyer
Smooth is Fast-Fast is Far
osborne
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: xd

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Z Buzzz should fly straight and then fade so yes it is a technique issue with you. You throw it well :-) 150 Teebird is fine even for more power but especially at your power level. The next step up from the Teebird IMO is a River. I would skip old Sidewinders. New ones seem to be less squirrely. Even though your power level suits the Sidewinder the River would be better in more wind. And the River is much more dependable. Sounds like for quick benefits the Aviar should be used for drives and the Omegas for the rest. Rocs and Teebirds actually mask most errors well so they give better scores but teach you less harshly than touchier discs. The more experienced and better thrower you are the more you need to use cruel discs to teach you even more. I'm not sure about you being at that point yet. Driving hard with putters without problems teaches everything but nose angles. I wouldn't go overboard with buying new discs because the ones you own are good. You lack a trick disc that hooks hard left in the end. Driver is my suggestion and you could use it for FH, headwinds, skips shots, s-curves and dogleg left shots. At your power a Banshee would be very overstable. It is probably too much so a Star Eagle 175 could be more usable for more roles. The Banshee is a power hog and the Star Eagle is beefy enough in its own right but a little more manageable with your power.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cody22 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am

TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:hitting everything inside 50? damn son. i think you are beyond noob status.

Okay maybe a bit of an exaggeration on 50ft, 35ft is probably more accurate for hitting everything lol... Def still a noob, my putting has just been on recently...

Love the avatar, best I think I have ever seen lol!

osborne wrote:If you have a play it again sports or a used disc shop in the area you may be able to purchase a pre beat teebird and rock to start you off. This will allow you to make those anny shots while you wait for your newer plastic to beat in.

I found a PLAY IT AGAIN in my city, going to go check them out hopefully this weekend... I tried contaction some people on the trade forum here, but neither has even responded to my messages... thanks for the suggestion!

JR wrote:Z Buzzz should fly straight and then fade so yes it is a technique issue with you. You throw it well :-) 150 Teebird is fine even for more power but especially at your power level. The next step up from the Teebird IMO is a River. I would skip old Sidewinders. New ones seem to be less squirrely. Even though your power level suits the Sidewinder the River would be better in more wind. And the River is much more dependable. Sounds like for quick benefits the Aviar should be used for drives and the Omegas for the rest. Rocs and Teebirds actually mask most errors well so they give better scores but teach you less harshly than touchier discs. The more experienced and better thrower you are the more you need to use cruel discs to teach you even more. I'm not sure about you being at that point yet. Driving hard with putters without problems teaches everything but nose angles. I wouldn't go overboard with buying new discs because the ones you own are good. You lack a trick disc that hooks hard left in the end. Driver is my suggestion and you could use it for FH, headwinds, skips shots, s-curves and dogleg left shots. At your power a Banshee would be very overstable. It is probably too much so a Star Eagle 175 could be more usable for more roles. The Banshee is a power hog and the Star Eagle is beefy enough in its own right but a little more manageable with your power.

I figured it was my form! You gave me a lot of good info to think about... I have considered the river in the past... as for the weight suggestion, why 150, i live in houston and it is a bit windy... the weight thing still perplexes me?!?!
I can't believe the teebird and roc mask your errors, I feel like because they will hold any line you throw them, they always show me my mistakes?
Cody

, DX Birdie
cody22
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:12 pm

Yeah the 150 TB ain't great in the wind but in calmer conditions it would be straighter and longer than max weight ones. At 300' of power the 150 TB should be controllable in calmer weather. But you're right you need something beefier for winds.

Rocs and Teebirds are pretty robust but it depends on the individual disc. And of course the winds. For more wind resistance Sentinel MF or even a Gator for mids and drivers broken in DX Banshee. A new one can take winds but at your power it is likely a very short disc and hard left hooking one.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion