Games Improving, bag update time

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Games Improving, bag update time

Postby kadenspop » Sat May 05, 2012 3:03 pm

I've been playing around 3-5 rounds a month for a little over a year, and throw at a park close to my house at least twice a week.

My distance is pretty solidly around 400, and even more importantly, my throws go where I intend them to (most of the time).

I primarly throw RHBH, FH shots always flip into rollers for me.

I CAN throw right to left on a couple discs, but the success of that throw is.... varied, at best haha.

This is what I have in my bag right now

1x Champ Rhyno (clear and gummy soft, blue foil stamp c. maybe 2000?)
1x Gateway Wizard soft
2x DX sharks 1-176 (blue, soft, old.. again maybe 2000) 1 - 172 (current mold)
1x MVP Axis - 180
1x Star San Marino Roc - 178
1x DX Leopard - 168
1x Star Sidewinder - 171 (older, bought it used, very beat; only solid right>left disc i have)
1x DX Firebird - 172
1x CE Valk - 171 (stamp is faded but I think it's a 4x)
1x Star SL - 169 (a year or so old, but still 8-9/10)
1x Star TeeRex - 175 (very new, only throw it on Huntington Beach hole 1 or when there is a very significant head-wind)

I feel like I am missing a portion of my bag, and am looking to take some stuff out and fill in what i need, suggestions?
Last edited by kadenspop on Sun May 06, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kadenspop
Noob

Favorite Disc: S-SL 168 (?)

Re: Games Improving, bag update time

Postby JR » Sat May 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Faster drivers are useful for straight then left and s-curved shots and at 400' with those discs those lines are perfectly usable with the fastest of drivers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby kadenspop » Sun May 06, 2012 2:37 am

I do notice that on, for instance, my sidewinder, if i throw it at full speed with full power, unless i throw (what i am to understand is) a hyzer-flip-shot the disc will almost always roll off to the right, usually ending up in a (sometimes pretty nice) roller. Is that because I need faster discs? The SL tends to do it sometimes, but I think thats more of an issue with my tendency to throw very flat without any upward angle, thereby not giving it enough time to flip back over.

I like throwing my TeeRex (speed 11 i think) but it is so damn overstable that unless the wind is blowing in my face or right to left pretty hard, it will always pull super hard left. Is that because i dont have enough power to keep it online? or is that because that is what the disc is intended for and no matter how much power behind the throw i have, it's going to cut hard left to right?

I feel like the hole i have in my bag is both in the long throws (it could be a matter of just not generating enough power, or maybe it is lack of disc fast enough to give me the distance possible with my current throwing ability) and in throws in the 200' range. anything 50-150 i take care of with my sharks, axis, or roc, depending on the shot of course. the wizard and rhyno obviously i putt with, and the rhyno i will drive 200'-ish holes with, its pretty reliably straight at that distance, but very straight. everything else (including the leopard which i use for 300'-ish hyzer-flip-shots and for 100-200' right to left shots) is a driver. Im missing that 150-250 disc range, and i honestly dont know what to fill it with. I've had a CE TeeBird which i loved, that ended up in a backyard and I was unable to retrieve it, which is absolute crap because i did really like that disc, I'll get another if i can find a good cheap one, either X-out or something "pre-loved", but other than that, I am really unsure of what will work well for me in that range. 6-7-8 speed specifically, and I can not throw forehand for the life of me.

PS: please excuse any typos, or difficult to read sections; It's cinco de mayo, im about 95% in the bag right now, and, honestly, most of the letters on the screen are too blurry for me to correctly read (in my defense I use a 32" HDTV for my monitor, and i sit about a foot and a half away from the screen haha, so the text tends to be a little bigger than necessary.)
kadenspop
Noob

Favorite Disc: S-SL 168 (?)

Postby JR » Sun May 06, 2012 11:19 am

Sidewinders flip naturally and Teerexes fade hard that is how they are designed. 150-250' can be thrown with putters and mids. It would be good to be able to throw out to that distance with both and why not FW drivers. Speed 6-8 is a good range and there are plenty of discs in that category. Good ones too i'd go with time proven classics that have worked and do work still for many generations of disc golfers. Or the best modern competitors. Like (Q)JLS,Teebird, Eagle, Leo, Gazelle, River.

There's a lot of gap in stability between the Teerex and the Valk and basically pick anything faster up to speed 14 and you might find a longer disc than the Teerex except the most overstable ones like Max and Xcaliber.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion