Some sense to bag, minimalism appreciated

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Some sense to bag, minimalism appreciated

Postby Indy's broken whip » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 am

I'm not sure should I be overly conserned with my bag as I can only throw max 80-90 meters or so without run-up (usually 20 meters shorter), and I know I have quite bad form, but just to get an idea which discs to focus, what to ditch or what to buy. The bag has evolved quite randomly, as I have lost some discs and bought something else to replace it (yes, not clever idea), I have had Valkyrie, Roadrunner, heavier Leopard, Monarch also.

Drivers:

Champion Sidewinder, bit beat up, 166g if I remember correctly (have to check the weight when I get my bag from friends car)
- I use this as one the my main drivers, for straight drives which wont turn to right, or big hyzers or anhysers.

Champion Sidewinder, only few throws outside of practice, 172g?

Champion Leopard, 150g
- This is my another main driver, for straight shots or flex shots (or something like that)

Pro Katana, around 170g, I only throw this in practice fields, flies bit further than other discs when I get it going, but can't really control properly.

Champion Starfire, can't recall the weight.
- Only for thumbers and and tomahawks, or some really curvy hyzers. Can't really throw it straight without big fade.

Mids:

MD2, 176g
- For turning approaches, hyzer flips or short anhyzers, turns quite easily over (often too much or unintentionally).

FLX Buzzz
- Straight or hyzer approaches

ESP Buzzz
- Haven't used much after got the FLX Buzzz, seems to fly quite identical

Putters:

P1 Maniac, D-line, 161g
- Putting and less than 30 meter approaches.

P1, C-line
-Not using for anything, don't like the feel on putter.

Dart, around 170g, beat up
- Used this as a main putter before buying P1, don't use at all anymore.

The drivers fly maybe 10 meters longer than my mids on average, whereas I can get P1 and dart fly maybe 10 meters shorter than mids (unless the turn over instantly).
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Re: Some sense to bag, minimalism appreciated

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

Hi. The standard advice for someone in your position is to try some stable to slightly overstable fairway drivers. The Teebird, Gazelle, and Cyclone are all typical suggestions. Try one or two in DX/Pro D plastic, and a premium version to use as your overstable headwind driver. These discs are "slower" but what that really means is that they go straight at a wider range of speeds, and are much easier to manipulate on a variety of lines, than your current "faster" understable drivers.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Indy's broken whip » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:08 am

Thanks, I was thinking about buying Teebird earlier, didn't see Gazelle or Cyclone in the store, so I bought tow Teebirds, one Champion 174g and one DX, 147g (although the marking looked like 100g, guessed it would be 150 but my scale showed bit less). I guess it would have been better if they were more closer in weight, but couldn't find other weights...

I also bought another P1 for putting exercises (just bought a basket for my backyard).

So do you suggest that I ditch other drivers from my bag for the time being or replace the Sidewinders with Teebirds?
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:49 am

I don't think it's quite necessary to ditch the Sidewinder, so long as you understand what it's true nature is: an understable distance driver. It's not a bad disc for you for maximum distance. The two Teebirds should really compliment what you have, not necessarily replace it all.

It's difficult to predict how the 147 DX Teebird will fly for you. That is pretty light, and the DX version can beat in quickly depending on how many obstacles you throw it at! A heavier one may be in order if that one turns over too much. In any event, it will be a useful learning tool :lol: You might find it's your longest disc.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

Champ Leo should be the best disc for you unless you like Star plastic. River then and only then the Sidewinder.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 am

The champ Leo is a darn fine disc too. It certainly isn't a bad idea to take the Sidewinders and Starfire out and practice with a core driver set of:

174 Champ Teebird
150 DX Teebird
150 Champ Leo

It's always fun and enlightening to experiment with new toys as you grow as a disc golfer. If you feel like you are missing the Sidewinder, you can always throw it back in. It requires a little higher level of proficiency to throw than the Leo or Teebird, but it's not ridiculously far out of your range.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby Indy's broken whip » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 am

Yes I think the DX Teebird won't last very long on the tight forest courses of central Finland :D Hopefully the lightning storms pass by tomorrow and I get to try the new disc on the field. Thanks.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

I hate it when people tout the Teebird as being straight. Sure in calm conditions it won't flip when new and it fades hard. Then breaking it in it becomes moderately overstable and flips even in calm weather. Compared to other discs when it came out it was good after breaking in. Designs have become better. The TB needs a lot of snap and breaking in and a good deal of power is needed and swirling gusts send it off. The Teebird does hold up well in quite stiff constant winds though. People blah blah about the glide which also has been surpassed a decade ago. It is a power hungry brick. And not the straightest disc out there with enough HSS to protect against user error. While not being a meathook. Move over grandpa.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cubeofsoup » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:05 am

JR wrote:I hate it when people tout the Teebird as being straight. Sure in calm conditions it won't flip when new and it fades hard. Then breaking it in it becomes moderately overstable and flips even in calm weather. Compared to other discs when it came out it was good after breaking in. Designs have become better. The TB needs a lot of snap and breaking in and a good deal of power is needed and swirling gusts send it off. The Teebird does hold up well in quite stiff constant winds though. People blah blah about the glide which also has been surpassed a decade ago. It is a power hungry brick. And not the straightest disc out there with enough HSS to protect against user error. While not being a meathook. Move over grandpa.

What designs are better? What has better glide? What is straighter with HSS to protect? I want this disc you speak of :D
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Good Beasts and TDs, Surge SSs are like that. Both are faster. Not more HSS and protective against error but straighter and longer thus awesome is a good River. Which is shorter than TDs and Beasts and still longer and faster than the Teebird. Not that much faster and more HSS and in P-line broken in a PD is great too. It fades more than the above but not harder than the TB when new. It is a kick ass disc in the wind unlike the TB.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Indy's broken whip » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:02 am

Already learning a lot with Teebirds; when released flat, the heavier Champion Teebird goes quite straight with bit fade at the end, unless I give it nose up, then it's quite hard stall and fade. The DX version turn really easily to the right, even when I try to give it a hyzer angle on release. If there's enough height on the throw, it does come bit back though.

JR wrote:The TB needs a lot of snap and breaking in and a good deal of power is needed and swirling gusts send it off.

I noticed this today, both discs fly really nicely when if I can keep myself of pulling too early, Champion doesn't turn at all and DX makes slight curve, but when I strong arm it (=almost always), champion goes who knows where (usually somewhere left...), and DX makes huge turn.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion