Pask's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pask's Bag

Postby pask2155 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Max D is currently 410'

ESP Nuke 168
Star Destroyer 171
Beat in ESP Nuke for hyzer flip S curves not sure in the weight

Golf Driving usually around 330'-375'

Star Destroyer 171/ESP Nuke 168 if it is wide open
Champion Orc 170/Opto Riot for more low ceiling/tighter fairways
NUKE SS 164 for anhyzer shots
Z NUKE 171 for Hyzer shots (For some reason I have a meat hook of a Z Nuke... The ESP's for me are way more controllable)

Fairway Driver- So anything from 280'-330'

Blizzard Krait 158 if it is a little more open
Stalker not sure on the weight for tighter shots
NUKE SS 164 same as above for anhyzer shots

Midrange 200'-280'

Z Buzz 175
ESP Meteor 172 for anhyzers
Stalker (same as above) for hyzer shots

Putter/Approach

D Challenger 172
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Pask's Bag

Postby slowarm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:18 pm

You don't have any real fairway drivers. The Stalker might be one, but you're using it as a midrange disc. Of course, if the above set works for you, then use it, but since you put it here I assume you want opinions.

I don't throw 410' so it's a bit stupid to comment your max D discs, but do you really need 3xNuke, Destroyer and Krait? Maybe one stable and one understable superfast discs would be enough. Adding something speed 7-9 workable fairway drivers would give you a lot more control without any remarkable loss of distance.

Another thing I notice is that you only carry one putter. Even I (who tries to be a minimalist) carry two putters - one (over)stable and one understable.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:40 pm

Your molds:

wide-rimmed drivers:
Nuke
Nuke SS
Destroyer
Orc
Krait

drivers:
Stalker

mids/putters:
Buzzz
Meteor
Challenger

I'm listing them to show you the wide range in speed you have between drivers and mids. Your fairway drivers are far too fast, and while that IS an opinion, you will get better results with slower discs in the fairway section. The wide-rimmed stuff (speed 10-11 and up, IMO) will fade and skip a lot more than you might want for fairway drivers. Like slowarm said, can you narrow down to 1-2 distance molds? You need one understable and one stable, and one very stable (if you want a max D disc that fights wind). For fairway drivers, you Stalker will work great for most shots, but you might need to compliment it with a slower understable mold and a slower stable mold that can fade a little more. Mids look good with the Buzzz and Meteor. Putters are good. Do you have a beat D Challenger, or a putter that is less stable for certain approach shots?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Because the Stalker is straight an Eagle would handle line shaping and s-curves well.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:00 pm

you need either an Eagle/Leopard combo or a TeeBird/Leopard combo. or you could just throw one of them. Throw them from 300 to 375. throw your mids from 200-300. and do some more pushups and pullups.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm

The Stalker can be used to substitute for the Leo not so much for the TB being shorter than the Leo. As a companion to the Eagle the Stalker is nice for ranging being shorter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:44 pm

What kind of stalkers and leopards have you been throwing jr?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby pask2155 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Ok I see what you guys are saying but for all 280+ anhyzer shots the nuke ss is gold for me. The reason is because if it's less then 300 I release flat. More then 300 I hyzer flip and the disc just dumps anhyzer. So I'm always going to keep that in my bag...

As far as the distance drivers the Orc nuke and destroyers all throw the same they just increase with the wider rim by 10' or so. So possibly I could eliminate that.

As for the fairway drivers though I have a teebird but I find when I'm out playing I never use it. It is pretty flippy on me and so the stalker always goes almost 300 when I want it to so I don't see why I would need it. Any thoughts on this?

Also I suppose I could get rid of the krait. I use it only on one hole at one course for a flex shot that's 320' or so. You need a slight nhyzer shot that will come back at the end. I have tried the teebird for this because it's flippy but it does t come back as hard as the krait.

So in the end what you guys suggest is:

Use my nukes for max d so 3. One for hyzers one for normal. And one for anhyzers

Fairway
Stalker and teebird/leopard? Still not sure what I would need those for???

Mids are as stated and good. And putter I'm comfortable with just my broke in challenger.

So you guys suggest carrying 8 discs?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

The Orc and the Krait can't be powered down enough to hold annies at shorter ranges where you'd need to rip a huge pull with a mid although the Stalker ain't bad in there. It is poor in s-curves where the Eagle would be at home. I'm not suggesting to get a Leopard because the Stalker is good at straight shots and decent in annies something that the Leopard excels at. Speed 5-7 discs are easier to range with than powering down faster discs. Slower discs skip less and won't kick as far in tree hits thanks so not moving so fast and having less distance at the same power. Slower discs are more forgiving of form and underpowering and usually straighter so easier to keep on the fairway.

Keltik i know that some Z Stalkers flip but i don't know the percentages. Ti and Glo Z Stalkers are way more HSS and a third to a half more fading than Z so they handle a good deal of headwind unlike Leos. Leos vary in softer plastics but having owned each plastic Leos and in different weights i claim to know them decently well having bagged them for years. Primo plastic Leos have been similar to each other within the plastic. Star fades the most Pro can flip a good deal or be like a Champ that has been worn a little from individual variations when new. I've switched to Rivers with increased power now. Leos outdistance Stalkers and Rivers are a double edged sword in D. At less than full power they aren't terribly much longer than the Leo but at full tilt they pick up D suddenly from losing some of the fade so for ultimate straight line performance the power requirement of the River is high but it remains a very straight disc even at 360' which is the upper limit of Stalkers for me. Leo 380' max rarely and River rarely to 410'. Usually 380-390'. But this season i've tried to line shape Beasts to utilize improved upper body strength instead of the River for better minute angle training and wind tolerance. I've not been too good with that often flexing out of annies on high long throws. Pask that is where slower lower power requirement discs rule. Consistently maintaining anny far enough. Nobody hits the angles and powers to the max on demand each time before top pro status.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:38 pm

ah... I see... And this is where I suppose experience comes into play, because for me the nuke ss... i don't know what it is, I got it out of a misprint pack but it dumps every time... So for me, the draw to slower drivers isn't really there for annys when I have this nuke ss... I'm telling you as weird as this sounds if I need an immediate anny I release it flat and it dumps pretty much out of the gate and will never come back no matter how high I throw it... Also for the holes where you need it to go straight about 150-200' then they turn, I just hyzer flip the nuke SS and it is straight until it turns...

So as of now the nuke ss takes care of what i think a leo would... But I am thinking about for fairway shots grabbing my teebird and or an eagle and using them to compliment my stalker... which does make all sense in the world for 300' s curve holes...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:29 pm

@JR

JR wrote:Ti and Glo Z Stalkers are way more HSS and a third to a half more fading than Z so they handle a good deal of headwind unlike Leos. Leos vary in softer plastics but having owned each plastic Leos and in different weights i claim to know them decently well having bagged them for years. Primo plastic Leos have been similar to each other within the plastic. Star fades the most Pro can flip a good deal or be like a Champ that has been worn a little from individual variations when new. I've switched to Rivers with increased power now. Leos outdistance Stalkers and Rivers are a double edged sword in D. At less than full power they aren't terribly much longer than the Leo but at full tilt they pick up D suddenly from losing some of the fade so for ultimate straight line performance the power requirement of the River is high but it remains a very straight disc even at 360' which is the upper limit of Stalkers for me. Leo 380' max rarely and River rarely to 410'. Usually 380-390'. But this season i've tried to line shape Beasts to utilize improved upper body strength instead of the River for better minute angle training and wind tolerance. I've not been too good with that often flexing out of annies on high long throws. Pask that is where slower lower power requirement discs rule. Consistently maintaining anny far enough. Nobody hits the angles and powers to the max on demand each time before top pro status.

I agree with the above statement.

JR wrote:The Stalker can be used to substitute for the Leo not so much for the TB being shorter than the Leo. As a companion to the Eagle the Stalker is nice for ranging being shorter.

This statement made me question your reasoning.

@ Pask: Just try the Leopard.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Pask's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Pask, are you having any issues with OAT? New players tend to throw warp speed premium plastic, relying on the massive overstability to compensate for their OAT. Not sure if that's where you are or not...your distance doesn't make me think so, but I'm just wondering why you don't throw any slower discs (other than the Stalker). Pros with big arms all know how to handle slower stuff. And like its been said before, the wider the rim, the harder it is to get control, repeatability, accuracy, and the skip at the end could kill your shot.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pask2155 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Pask, are you having any issues with OAT? New players tend to throw warp speed premium plastic, relying on the massive overstability to compensate for their OAT. Not sure if that's where you are or not...your distance doesn't make me think so, but I'm just wondering why you don't throw any slower discs (other than the Stalker). Pros with big arms all know how to handle slower stuff. And like its been said before, the wider the rim, the harder it is to get control, repeatability, accuracy, and the skip at the end could kill your shot.

No I don't have oat problems. I'm just newer to the sport and am loving it. And you guys help me a whole lot with all of this.

For me I guess I'm having a hard time finding reasons for slower discs. Obviously there is a reason for them but for me like I said I have this fluke nuke ss which handles pretty much all annys for me. It never comes back and the skips across the ground are bad I'm not gonna lie. It also will sometimes turn over touch and be a roller. But for me until this disc which I know isnt normal but until this the anny shots drove me crazy. And pretty much anything else i can hit 300 with the stalker with either some hyzer or pretty dead straight tunnel shots. Greater that 300 I just tee off with my krait or Orc that stays close to the ground (about 15') and they just go. And if it it more than 350' I use the nuke or destroyer based on how I am feeling that day.

So I guess when my annys are already being shot with this fluke nuke ss from 220+ and stalker is taking care of the rest I just don't see why I need a teebird eagle or leopard. What are they gonna do for me? Maybe the Leopard powered up will get the anny shots but again the only thing better is the bounce at the end. Which you could argue is a good thing and worth it. But as far as a teebird or eagle.... They will s curve or fade out. Go further then the stalker but for me if it's that far I use a distance driver because I don't have to crack it so hard or worry about the disc flipping over on me. So I'm just struggling to see why use them? My krait and orc go hard and low and straight to 330-350. Why use and eagle? And I don't think anyone would say don't use a krait or Orc for 330-350 shots with low ceilings. I have a teebird and can knock it out to 330-350 consistantly but I need a lot of room for it to s curve or hyzer flip it to go straight and then fade out. Which is exactly what my Orc and krait do anyways.

So I dunno. But I wanna learn so convince me!

But on a side note I LOVE just driving discs and working on max d! So another reason I dominately have wide rimmed discs is because I mostly buy those looking for the ONE (if you know what I'm saying) that will go 400'+ every time I throw it. Which I know it's all form but I love trying new discs. Lol. So for my fairway I got a stalker and make it work for me for everything but annys. And annys as stated the nuke ss takes care of it. So anyways, I wanna learn but as of now this is my logic. And I will grow from here... So let's hear it!
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Say you have a now Orc shot and you accidentally overpower it fully and wind up 50' past the pin. Would you have a putt with an accidentally overpowered Stalker, Leo, TB or Eagle? Some of those wouldn't land 50' short when powered down to the level you should use with the Orc. The power generation margin of error is larger with slower discs. As long as you do drive at full power with the Stalker for fairway duties i don't see a problem with the Orc being the next step except accidentally overpowering and not getting an s-curve but missing left perhaps hitting trees and annies not stopping where they land. That is a problem near OB, water and cliffs especially lining the green. When the distance is beyond your Stalker annies. Height variations call for FWs too. There the stability and distance difference of the Orc and the Stalker comes to play even more.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby pask2155 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:46 am

So your suggesting probably adding an eagle and Leo to my bag and using the Leo for long high annys and the eagle for tighter 300' shots?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion