Geoloseth's bag - 1st in two years

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Geoloseth's bag - 1st in two years

Postby geoloseth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:03 pm

I've finally gotten back into playing serious disc golf since taking a break about 2 years ago. With that being said I had never used anything with a rim wider than a wraith before so now I'm trying out different molds to find what my game is missing.

Open field distance: ~450 on a huge anhyzer
Golf distance: 375
Midrange distance: 250-275

WITB

Max Distance: 171 Z, GLO Nuke

Overstable drivers: 171 Z Nuke OS
175 Star TeeRex. (2009 mold)

Stable/understable drivers: 167 new pro Wraith
172 slightly seasoned Wraith
167 ESP Surge

Fairway: 175 Star Firebird (2009 mold)
175 Saint
175 Champ Teebird
171 GLO Leopard

Midrange: 175 Z Wasp
173 ESP Wasp
177 GLO Buzzz
177 ESP Buzzz

Putters: 2x 175 Warlock (main putters)
2x 175 Wizard (driving/upshot putters)
175 Star Rhyno (it's been in the bag for 4 years and its never coming out)

Also have an Avenger SS that I'm beating in for a roller/trick disc.

I used to think that I could throw as far as the best until I started playing advanced am and some of those guys can thrown 450 feet on a whim. Hence the inclusion of the Nukes.

Any input would be welcome. Most of the courses I play are pretty heavily wooded so control and shot shaping is more of a priority than all out distance.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Geoloseth's bag - 1st in two years

Postby JR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Welcome back. None of your drivers are really understable so a Beast would help in that and especially control shots for long flights and Leopards for shorter ones. Brad loves Star Leos because they are more HSS and LSS by a hair vs other plastics. Champ is plenty straight. I can't flip a Star and get about 2 degrees from a Champ with a good snap but the Champ gets 10-15' more distance fading less and later. So the Champ should be easier line shaper for versatility than the Star. The Star should handle Texas winds a little less worse but not great unless it is rear quarter.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby geoloseth » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input JR. The ESP Surge is plenty understable and if thrown flat and fast enough it has a tendency to try and roll/dig in. I do have a Star Leo but I've found that to be too unpredictable. It's about 2-3 years old and sometimes flips too much or only flips up straight when I need a gliding R to L shot, so the GLO Leo has taken it's place for now.

I'm really interested in trying out the new Zombeee from Discraft to go along with the Buzzz and Wasp. But then again it might just be time to stock up on the bread and butter discs like the Buzzz.

I'm still looking for that replacement for the TeeRex. Nothing that I've thrown has that flight pattern. The old molds, for me, truly are a much longer Teebird. The new molds just don't have the glide and the workability that the old ones did. Any suggestions on that front? I have two TeeRex's left and I'm to the point that if they get thrown into the middle of a lake, I'm renting scuba gear and going in after them.
geoloseth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:24 am

I have a beat Surge that flips but a new one won't flip much/at all. Does amrshall Street still have have older MSDGC or Vinram open CFR Champ Teerexes? At least the MSDGC ones from 2007 and 2008 are great and like the good old Teerexes in flight? As to other alternatives maybe a Prodiscus Slaidi? It might have a harder fade though at least in premium plastic. For a hair faster otherwise pretty similar disc with good glide VIP Sword from Westside Discs. It is in between a Wraith and a Destroyer with more Destroyer like fade.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion