Bag Overflow. Get a bigger bag, or downsize???

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby kadenspop » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 pm

top to bottom, left to right:
Red - Sidewinder 165 or so, super (obviously) beat in. the only thing I can roll
Yellow - SM Roc 177
Clear- first run Axis max weight
Glow - Buzz 171
Red - Shark (usually leave it at home)
red - star Teebird 177 or so
Orange - Leopard 166
White - R-pro Aviar
Purple - Firm Wizard
Yellow - Blizzard TeeDevil 150
Glow - Gator 177
Blue - First run Tern 167
Orange - Proto Discmania P3
Red - 4x Vaylk 171
Pink - Test run Vision
Blue - 175 FL
Yellow - 168 Katana

I dont know, I think I want to get a bigger bag, and get a few more discs. I need something like a pd2 or nuke os... and I feel a hole inbetween my mids and my drivers.
kadenspop
Noob

Favorite Disc: S-SL 168 (?)

Re: Bag Overflow. Get a bigger bag, or downsize???

Postby PMantle » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Bigger bag is always the answer
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 pm

There's a lot of overlap and redundancy. First step - read the disc selection overlap article on DGR.

And don't buy a bigger bag.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Oh and what distances do you throw with each? What lines do they take? That will help a ton if you want help narrowing down what you need.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kadenspop » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:03 pm

My Tern and Katana both go around 400' the Tern staying more dead center, with the Katana finishing more left. The vision and the SL have almost identical flight paths, with the SL giving me around 350 and the vision around 300. my Valk is VERY understable, but not to the point where I can really roll it yet, but it does a very nice left to right with a very small S-turn at the end. Good for low hyzer flips and turn shots @ and around 300-325. My Leopard is very flippy, basically a short Valk. 200 or so is all I use it for. Buzz gives me 150 or so of dead straight, while the Axis gives me about 200 max, but still pretty straight, with a small bit more fade over the buzz. My Roc is my go-to disc for most 100-150 approach shots, and the Gator I just got, but I'm figuring out it to be 200 max on big driving shots, or anything I need a short meat hook on. (I'm really liking the Gator). My shark, I hate lol. I bought it to replace an old DX shark from around 2002 I had and loved, but lost. It was soft gummy plastic, and did things that my roc couldn't do, and on more consistent lines. So F that shark. The Blue FL is my most stable disc, and it's not very stable lol. Gives me around 325 of headwind. The blizzard I don't know if I like or not, I bought it about 6 months ago, but it's so flippy, it turns over on me a lot of the time, to a point where I'm hesitant to use it more often than not. I get really good distance (400+) but it's kind of hit or miss if i'm going to have it doing what I want it to. My teebird is... well.. a teebird. Long straight drives, especially into headwinds. 200-300 feet and almost dead straight on anything 250-300, more fade under 250. My putters : P3 long putts, headwind putts, short approaches. White R-pro is my go-to putter most all of the time otherwise. The wizard I find pulling out in headwinds, but now with my p3 I dont know if i want to keep it in the bag. I do use it for short drives though, it's very firm. Hope this helps
kadenspop
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:21 am

There are plenty of mids of fairly straight flight path in there. Three long distance drivers of fairly similar behavior in the Tern, Katana ja Teedevil might be too much. DX Leo gets very flippy and a Champ flips only a little and at least some Stars don't flip at all.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby kadenspop » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm

So it would be safe to eliminate the Shark, take a choice between the Katana and the Teedevil (more than likely, goodbye blizzard plastic) and replace the leo with a champ or star?

There are a bunch of very expensive older leo's on ebay and such, is there a big difference between those and current runs? should I even worry about finding an older leo over a brand new one?
kadenspop
Noob

Postby PMantle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:28 pm

I replaced my super flippy Dx Leopard with a heavier champion and have been very pleased.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:40 pm

kadenspop wrote:should I even worry about finding an older leo over a brand new one?

A new champ leo will hold a stable straight line and fade at the end of a low 300' throw. An older, more loved leo, will turn easier with a later fade or hyzer flip to flat with little to no fade at all. I prefer the QJLS for that distance and keep a newer one for stable lines with fade, a seasoned one for stable lines without fade, and a beat one for hyzer flips, turnovers, shorter rollers, and uphill shots.

Until you figure out what discs you like, buy used. Better than that, borrow your buddy's discs and see how they feel and fly before getting a used one. Used for a few rounds or lightly used discs give you a truer indication of how they'll preform at half the cost as new. For example, hit a couple more trees and I'm betting that Tern goes long range roller and might not be what you're looking for.

I'd also suggest the Search feature on the upper right of this forum to find more in depth reviews for the discs you're curious about.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby JR » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 am

Shark is a good candidate for elimination and i'd do a shoot out on the field and the courses you play with all the drivers. Our preferences and needs may vary so could the dropped driver too. I have not needed to buy new Champ Leos for years because the old ones don't change. If the new ones won't flip i'd get a Star for more tackiness and a faster breaking in. Pro Leos flip more than old Champs. Leos are standard discs so why pay extra for them?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 am

What discs you chose is going to be your preference. I'll 2nd what others have said so far - buy used discs, try friend's discs, and don't buy expensive/rare plastic.

Overall, try to fit five categories of drivers

1 - Very Overstable - utility shots
2 - Moderately Overstable - headwinds and big hyzers
3 - Stable Control - Workhorse driver, not a fast one, able to work any line
4 - Understable - Turns right from a flat throw and has very little/no fade
5 - Max D - Anything that gets you the most D when accuracy isn't a concern

You could get away with anything from 3-5 different driver molds to fill those roles.

For mids, get one that fades, one that flies straight, and one that turns right. For putters, get a driving putter that is stable, and one that will work turnover lines, and then find one mold you like for putting and buy 3-5 that you can practice with. For putting putters, don't buy premium plastic.

Read more here - http://discgolfreview.com/resources/art ... rlap.shtml
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kadenspop » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Yea, the shark is going. I'm comfortable with the midranges I have left, even with a little overlap with the axis and the buzz, they're just not the same disc. I've decided to let the Teedevil go, and I'll end up replacing it with something very overstable, because that's the one thing I'm missing in my bag for sure. I'm considering picking up a roadrunner or a TD, but i'm not in a rush. my final driver list should be : S-SL, S-Sidewinder (for rollers only) Champ flat Valk, FL, S-Katana, Champ Tern, and whatever overstable disc i get, and something to fill that confident 9-10 speed turn/hyzerflip disc. Mids Buzz,Gator,SM Roc,Axis. Fairway. DX leopard, (getting a) champ leo, S-Teebird, Vision. Putters will be the Prototype P3 and some Aviars. Right now I only have the r-pro P&A, but I want a McAviar and some more just basic Aviars. I don't really understand the difference between JK and the other types of Aviar, so I figure I'll just stay with what I know. Either way I'm getting a new bag though, just accidently found an email from a discgolf online store about the fade tourney bag i ordered lol... she didn't realize that the Credit card would email me to let me know about purchases over 50 bucks haha. Oh well, suprise ruined, happyness successful.
kadenspop
Noob

Postby kadenspop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm

So, I got a fade tourney bag (love it!) and have room for about 25 discs. I've adjusted my bag a little, and plan on adding a few more, but have a couple empty spots and am lookin for suggestions.
Current bag: Putters- Proto P3 and RPro P&A.\\\\ Midranges- MVP Axis, Glow DX Flat top Ranco Roc(+mold), Star SM Roc, RPro Roc (+mold), Champ Glo Gator.\\\\ Fairway: gummy DX teebird, dx eagle, star tb\\\\ Drivers- Star Sidewinder (rollers only), Champ Tern, Star Katana, Star FL, Star SL, Champ Valk, Star PD2

In the mail I have a Champ Glo TB, a pre numbers DX roc, and a KC Pro Roc on their way.

I have room for 1 more putter, and 4 more mid/fairway/combo of both. I think my drivers are pretty much right where they need to be. I might get a Nuke, non ss or os, but other than that, I am either just gonna keep collecting TB's and Rocs, unless you guys have any suggestions.

as a number, my drivers are around 400, TB's around 300, Rocs 200-250 (full power)
kadenspop
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 am

You have a ton of different discs and in different variations of the same mold so it might be difficult to beat in a base plastic one into preferable state and get a back up for it when you carry a primo version of the same disc. Normally people can make do with fewer drivers and mids. Aren't the Tern and the Katana pretty overlapping for example? Are you going to carry each Roc variation? You bag plenty already with more on the way.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion